Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Summer Sun

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Summer 2017 was a lot like 2005 and 2010 in that you had early heat and a cool end. It's how i like my summers, May 2008, June 2018, July 2011, August 2014.

I like an warm start and usually may and early June to have a warm or hot dry air combined with nice breezes. Humidity seems to build throughout June and July, and that’s usually when the nights can feel uncomfortably warm and humid, and if a hot spell continues into August it tends to stay quite warm at night.

However, from mid August on, if we don’t have the lovely sunny warm weather, it starts to feel like early autumn, which is something I don’t like.

August sometimes feels like summer has come to an end prematurely. Maybe I’m on my own when it comes to this, but that’s how 2017 felt. Summer 18 didn’t, because we had such a warm and long dry summer, so mid August cooler temps were kind of welcome and last year, August had some nice warm days, but the cloudy dank days in between brought last summer down for me.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Prediction for winter 2020/21 : Dry cold and sunny, with also long periods of grey dry days. 

Anyone fancy that?

As long as some of those 'grey' days produce lots of snow then yes, I'm up for that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 28/02/2020 at 17:06, Hessle Owl said:

While it does seem that way is that actually true ? Only two years ago we had widespread snow across the Uk. Plus the hot summer of 2018 hot spell last year to with the temperature record broken. This winter has being guff though for cold just rain wind and more rain and more wind never felt mild either because of the vile wind making it feel about 5 degrees colder that what it actually is. Last two days was beautiful here sunny and calm. Back to awful cold rain today at 3 degrees earlier just to rub it in cold but not cold enough for snow. Be interesting to note coldest temperature recorded this winter and how it compares to other winters ? 

You are of course indeed correct. 
But during times of disappointment, especially considering that a good snowfall is certainly a very precious thing in this country, it's easy for logic to escape you. I am sure we will see another beast from the east again at some point in the future, but at the moment it feels as if snow is becoming rarer and rarer until eventually we won't get any at all.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Looks like Spring is looking Kaput following a kaput winter

And a kaput Liverpool performance against Watford gapless

#kaput.com

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Big cold atlantic storms like today are very rare infact today`s gave far more snow than hail like 1988...

Rrea00119880210.gifRrea00119900227.gifimage.thumb.png.8d2dfa9c82141bccbae261b1815f459c.png

For me felt very spring like in shelter in the sun with barely any clouds around, hopefully a sign that spring is near but doubt it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still just over an hour and a half left to salvage this winter.... :olddb:

Otherwise it won't live long in the memory. Well not for the right reasons anyway.

Posted
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

To be fair, winter has tried to redeem itself this last week but I think it's been a classic case of too little too late!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

And... it's over.  

• Like 2

Posted

Good riddance to the worst winter ever.

Snowless apart from a few brief flakes for 5 minutes the other morning, an absolute minimum temp of -1.6C, the windiest and wettest February ever and just ONE day with a maximum temp below 5C.

2013/14 was equally dire but at least it was nowhere near as wet and windy for us.

Normally I would say at least next winter can't be as bad, but these days who knows!

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Winter Indices

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1974-75: 22 

1997-98: 25

1989-90: 26

1973-74: 27

2015-16: 28

2019-20: 29

Two 1970s winters were worse than this winter? That doesn’t surprise me actually.

Posted

Not only was it the wettest february in living memory it was the second wettest month ever here after last june that makes 1 billion to 1 of that happening.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

A wet, windy and mild winter for sure, I think whats bothered me most is just how little variation there has been ,its basically been the same pattern rinse and repeat throughout and the CET has barely moved away from that 2c above average mark throughout.

Might just sneak into the top 10 list of wettest ever winters as well.

Given that, is this one of the wettest ever Autumn-winter periods we've ever had??

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

A wet, windy and mild winter for sure, I think whats bothered me most is just how little variation there has been ,its basically been the same pattern rinse and repeat throughout and the CET has barely moved away from that 2c above average mark throughout.

Might just sneak into the top 10 list of wettest ever winters as well.

Given that, is this one of the wettest ever Autumn-winter periods we've ever had??

It's been almost a carbon copy of winter 13-14 in that there has been very little variation in the overall pattern, predominantly unsettled Atlantic driven. Like winter 13-14 the November before it brought some settled cold weather at times, this breaking in early December. Unlike 13-14 though thankfully the stormy weather was not as prolonged only arriving in February. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I had the most terrible dream last night that we hardly had any winter at all. I woke up in a terrible sweat.  

Thank God it was just a dream..........

Posted
55 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

It's been almost a carbon copy of winter 13-14 in that there has been very little variation in the overall pattern, predominantly unsettled Atlantic driven. Like winter 13-14 the November before it brought some settled cold weather at times, this breaking in early December. Unlike 13-14 though thankfully the stormy weather was not as prolonged only arriving in February. 

I think someone pointed this out before but could it be the quiet sun has not worked in our favor this year, in that we have been stuck in a mild unsettled Atlantic driven pattern, as opposed to a blocked cold scenario?  I understand that weather patterns can become stuck around solar minimum and was it we were stuck with the wrong type this year?!  Obviously only one piece of a large jigsaw, though!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Bye winter. You were particularly vile this year. Barely any sunshine and too much rain and wind. Autumn was nearly as bad from late September, so that’s over 5 months of largely utterly foul weather to endure. First day of Spring and the sky is blue and the sun is shining Won’t last, and March can bring very wintry weather, but hopefully Spring will bring more sunshine and warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can see how the Manchester winter index crept above those other winters, as there were a couple of spells of bright frosty anticyclonic weather in December and January, and February 2020 has had a surprisingly high frequency of sleet/snow falling for such a mild month in many areas of the UK, rather like the previous record wettest February in 1990.  Like in 1990 this was due to the frequency of polar maritime air masses which, while not cold enough for widespread snow cover, often brought a wintry mix of showers.  Here in Exeter there were 5 days with sleet/snow falling, which is above the local long-term average, although admittedly it was mostly sleet mixed with rain showers.  In 2013/14 there were no days with sleet/snow falling in Exeter, and even in the Vale of York (where I was living at the time) there were just three such days, one in November and two in February.

Still a pretty mild and snowless winter by most standards, though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

2157ECBE-C008-445B-817E-3F789DEE5BAE.thumb.jpeg.95024fc879d9f0b732017213475f6d1e.jpeg

I screened shot this on the 10th November. 

Can’t remember who wrote it, might have been Hugo. 

What a load of biased Twaddle. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
3 hours ago, Spah1 said:

2157ECBE-C008-445B-817E-3F789DEE5BAE.thumb.jpeg.95024fc879d9f0b732017213475f6d1e.jpeg

I screened shot this on the 10th November. 

Can’t remember who wrote it, might have been Hugo. 

What a load of biased Twaddle. 

You say that now but I bet your opinion was a bit different at the time it was written, mine was..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Marginal wet snow in March really isn’t going to cut it. I’d much rather we get some spring warmth in the weeks ahead. Never been a fan of cold weather in spring unless it’s something exceptional like the beast from the east. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1