Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

YOUR FAVOURITE ARCHIVED SYNOPTIC CHART

Tom Quintavalle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

This is a good one for me, I think in Oxfordshire this was the moment we changed from having no snow, virtually ever, to the way the weather has been in the last few years.  (new poster, so hope this pic appears!!) This channel low dumped Wantage with 5 inches, and our office was closed - trouble was we had an international meeting - one guy coming from Germany!  So I braved the 7 mile journey (and abandoned my car) German guy having no problems with his journey naturally...health and safety meant we had to leave the office and adjourn to the pub!  We're really not cut out for it, we british are we?  And it snowed another 4 inches the next night!

Posted Image

Great to have another oxonian onboard! Can you remember.. 

post-15543-0-66366200-1379524717_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Another gem from Christmas Day 2004

Posted Image

I can remember a few flakes of snow here in oxford that xmas day around midday, only a few but the only snow falling on christmas day i can remember :) 

Posted

This one from October 2005 - VERY warm. Memories of travelling to Kidderminster to see my Dad. The temperature was 21c in Birmingham!!

Posted Image

Edited by nn2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Talking of Archive charts looking back at the way weather was presented and the tech they had back then makes you appreciate what we have today.

interesting veiwing, A BBC special a change in the weather 1985;

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

One of the best snow spells IMO prior to the cold winters of 2009/10/11, early January 2008. It only lasted for a day or two IIRC, but it brought heavy snowfall and thundersnow to my town near Dublin, which fell for nearly 6 or 7 hours non-stop with about 6 inches accumulating by morning. Lovely. :)

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Here are  some more archives but of a different kind, archive runs rather than actual verification charts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Loving reading everyone's recollections. Once again, I have to say "A pat on the back, Tom" for thinking of this one!

One thing I will say, though, is I cannot agree in the slightest with post 208 above. I deplore the way the BBC present the weather these days. For me, it was infinitely better before that "big change" of theirs earlier in the 2000s. For me, symbols etc are far more pleasing on the eye than those awful cloud blobs etc on those hideous non-static charts. I, for one, still miss the simplicity of the old charts. And I will never grow to like the way the BBC present the weather now. If only I could refuse to pay my TV licence in protest!

• Like 3

Posted

Loving reading everyone's recollections. Once again, I have to say "A pat on the back, Tom" for thinking of this one!

One thing I will say, though, is I cannot agree in the slightest with post 208 above. I deplore the way the BBC present the weather these days. For me, it was infinitely better before that "big change" of theirs earlier in the 2000s. For me, emphasis than those awful cloud blobs etc on those hideous non-static charts. I, for one, still miss the simplicity of the old charts. And I will never grow to like the way the BBC present the weather now. If only I could refuse to pay my TV licence in protest!

I couldn't agree more with you on the way it was presented back then with more emphasis on the charts with like you said "symbols etc are far more pleasing on the eye" Posted Image

When i mentioned .....(Talking of Archive charts looking back at the way weather was presented)......I was stating what the programme was about,

.....(and the tech they had back then makes you appreciate what we have today).....That's what i was on about the technology we have today compared to back then and how lucky we are!

i'm sorry if my post was misleading........And yes i still miss the simplicity of the old charts myself Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I couldn't agree more with you on the way it was presented back then with more emphasis on the charts with like you said "symbols etc are far more pleasing on the eye" Posted Image

When i mentioned .....(Talking of Archive charts looking back at the way weather was presented)......I was stating what the programme was about,

.....(and the tech they had back then makes you appreciate what we have today).....That's what i was on about the technology we have today compared to back then and how lucky we are!

i'm sorry if my post was misleading........And yes i still miss the simplicity of the old charts myself Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes, I saw that the bit where they said that the then Met Office supercomputer would take 4 minutes to process information that would take a BBC Model B computer (I think) 70 days.

I wonder how a typical home computer would compare now (with the Met Office computer then)?

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, I saw that the bit where they said that the then Met Office supercomputer would take 4 minutes to process information that would take a BBC Model B computer (I think) 70 days.

I wonder how a typical home computer would compare now (with the Met Office computer then)?

Pretty much sure that your home pc has more processing power now than back then, Im sure the techo folk would lets us know thatPosted Image

Had a little chuckle when Mr fish him self had a ((((blip))))  when the symbols kept on slipping! You don't see that today do you Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

No probs. I see what you mean now. Sorry for misunderstanding it. I'm open-minded in most things, but VERY close-minded when it comes to people trying to tell me the "modern" BBC weather way is the best! I put my hands over my ears and go "lah lah lah lah", just like we used to do as kiddies! The way I see it is we are a weather-obsessed nation, and what with the changeable nature of this country's weather anyway, the format of our TV forecasts HAS to be amongst the best. And it was imitated the world over for many years. Now, I don't doubt somebody can give me examples to prove me wrong, but I'm not aware of anybody else copying the "modern" BBC way. And I think that speaks volumes.

But, yep, fully with you on the technology thing of course. I remember being absolutely petrified of the small computer room at school in the 80s. (Small room....but massive machines!) Computers really did frighten the life out of me. And look now. I'd be well, truly, and completely lost without one! Posted Image

And just so Tom doesn't tell me off for not talking about the archive charts in my post, here's another great one from my point of view. I was in Perpignan on this day. And guess what that little low off the coast of Catalonia delivered that night! (Hint: Brontophobes might want to run for cover!) And, boy, was it a "humdinger"!

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Mr.Anvil, thank you for your very kind words sir and I'll forgive you for having such a love of storms! Lol.

Tom.

Edited by TomBR7
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Here are  some more archives but of a different kind, archive runs rather than actual verification charts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5th Dec '12 (THAT ECM), first one for 4th Feb, didnt actually turn out like that, but was a snowy day for me, east v west battle

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted

Mr.Anvil, thank you for your very kind words sir and I'll forgive you for having such a love of storms! Lol.Tom.

That's the spirit! Thanks very much! (It's not as if I'm a storm lover, but snow hater. At least we have 50% agreement!)

• Like 1

Posted

5th Dec '12 (THAT ECM), first one for 4th Feb, didnt actually turn out like that, but was a snowy day for me, east v west battle

Yes unfortunately neither did the 5th Dec one, I got about 3 inches from that battleground, lucky to get that really because frontal alignment wasn't correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yes unfortunately neither did the 5th Dec one, I got about 3 inches from that battleground, lucky to get that really because frontal alignment wasn't correct.

I got same amount, but yes if you look at actual archive chart for 04th Feb, it does look unfavourable, infact looks mild, wind seems on a SSW angle, not SSE or SE

Posted

Posted Image

There was a Daily Express headline around the time 'NEW ARCTIC CHAOS NEXT WEEK'  around this time, I wonder if it was runs like this that lead to it.

• Like 2