South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Are we really expecting more storms today? Just overcast with bits and pieces of rain and not overly warm, although quiet humid only 17c at the moment. Doesn't feel like there's much chance of T-storms later per the forecast but we'll see I guess.

Light rain and very dark here. It's still very warn and stuffy in the flat after days of heat. I can't believe I'm saying this - but I hope we don't get any storms tonight. It was hard to sleep in the heat and the last thunder was at about 1.30am last night, so I'd take a decent nights sleep over any weather extremes at the moment.

But - what a storm. Lightning every 2 seconds and torrential rain. I hope it's someone else's turn tonight. 

I see we have a double thunderstorm warning for Saturday here - a general one and a more specific local one. Might not make any plans for Saturday.

• Like 4

Made the mistake of doing dusting n polishing around the home, within 5 minutes absolutely soaked through, surely that can’t be normal! Checked obs station, only 20c, but 94% humidity, that explains the puddle I’ve turned into 😜 

Edited by Blazerblue
  • Like 4

had a lovely evening watching a distant storm, so nice to see one when it's dark! 

woke up to light rain and coolness

ahhhhhhh

• Like 3

Hasn’t gone yet, might not be sunny but still sweaty heat here 🤢 still waiting for the elusive storm, just hung out some washing, so that should make the heavens open 🤞

• Like 4

Humid but only 21c here no sun all day but a few showers earlier,feels more like early November light wise though as very dull with light fading already,what breeze there was has now gone.

Edited by Paul1968
16 hours ago, jafin said:

Lasted all of 10mins here in Hockley - We need more!! 😞 

Sorry for late reply:Should have washed all the horse poo off the roads though maybe?

East of England forecast on the met office site still going for heavy showers and thunder storms during the evening and overnight. And it was updated at 15:58 today. So they must have used their time machine to jump into the future and update it. Presmably if they can do that they should know what the weather's going to be like as well!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Is that a storm developing and coming a bit further south . 

D3E2F008-C478-40FB-875B-316A8540AE3C.png

I can report very heavy rain, finally something has moved south of the river without loosing intensity. 

Now torrential, gaining in intensity, but no thunder...yet.

• Like 3

Quite a difference in Norfolk, I left cloudy skies to nip to B&Q nr the livestock market, where there was blue sky and lovely warm sunshine. Get back to Wymondham and the cloud increases until 4 miles later it's back to grey nothingness. Boring. 

I was sure i heard thunder to my east at about 4pm but now that I am home there doesn't seem much evidence for this and I am beginning to doubt myself. Can anyone confirm? (or confirm that I was indeed mistaken)? Thanks. 

Afternoon all,

Just got up from my Afternoon nap, and our Close has some surface water on it.

Went for a lie down, just after Paul S. mentioned a Thames type Streamer setting up, on the Storms Thread.

Very impressed with the METOs Fax chart again, with a Forecast Convergence Zone setting up, just N. of London.

I wasn't woken by any Thunder though, and at the moment doesn't appear to be any sferics about.

But it seems as though Forecasts are suggesting some around, Tonight.

Nothing approaching from the East on Dutch Radar, now.

https://www.buienradar.nl/

Some big T/Storms over Germany, and Northern parts of Holland but the steering flow is set to turn into the S.W./W., over the other side of the North Sea.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Afternoon all,

Just got up from my Afternoon nap, and our Close has some surface water on it.

Went for a lie down, just after Paul S. mentioned a Thames type Streamer setting up, on the Storms Thread.

Very impressed with the METOs Fax chart again, with a Forecast Convergence Zone setting up, just N. of London.

I wasn't woken by any Thunder though, and at the moment doesn't appear to be any sferics about.

But it seems as though Forecasts are suggesting some around, Tonight.

Nothing approaching from the East on Dutch Radar, now.

https://www.buienradar.nl/

Some big T/Storms over Germany, and Northern parts of Holland but the steering flow is set to turn into the S.W./W., over the other side of the North Sea.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

I was wondering if the met office forecast is going to be a complete bust though. Latest radar images suggest that any showers that are around are now dying out. I would have thought we would be seeing developments by now if their forecast stands a chance of panning out but maybe things will start happenning a bit later. It's wait and see I guess. The forecast seemed quite confident about heavy showers and thunder storms this evening and overnight.

Edited by snowblind
  • Like 1

Hi snowblind,

Yes, I was thinking the same myself.

Think it's going to be a case of Radar watching, to see if anything pops up.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

5 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi snowblind,

Yes, I was thinking the same myself.

Think it's going to be a case of Radar watching, to see if anything pops up.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Those storms in the Netherlands seem to be going crazy at the moment so maybe they are supposed to head in our direction.

Edited by snowblind
4 hours ago, clark3r said:

Anyone want the heatwave back? Weathers turned so gloomy now - still has no thunderstorms here

Didn't realise it was gone, it might be cloudy, but I'm still hot and sweaty. Getting fed up with it now, where's the freshness gone. 

• Like 3