South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Wow so close to the heat over 3 degrees different in temp in such a small space of distance 

To be fair, I think our garden is a bit of a hot spot, in spite of it being a reasonable size. I've got a Davis weather station though, so I'm fairly confident of the value, even if it's a bit 'local' to here!

• Like 1

33c Saltdean East Sussex! Much more sunshine,almost unbroken today and a hot Northeast breeze.

• Like 1

We'd better get used to more frequent heatwaves. Here's some interesting analysis by Dan Holley at Weatherquest showing the increasing occurrences over recent decades:

"The UK has only recorded 37+°C on 4 days: 03 Aug 1990, 10 Aug 2003, 25 Jul 2019, 31 Jul 2020. Exceeding 33°C occurred 2-3 years per decade in the 1960s to 1980s; however, this happened in 8 of the past 10 years. The average ≥30°C days per year has increased from 5 in 1990 to 9 in 2019."

1658408890_UKHeatwaves.thumb.jpg.e455848dc31766d9fbce6c7d658eadf8.jpg

Source: Twitter @danholley_

The last three days here in South Suffolk have been 34C, 32C and today (as at 15.00) 30C.

• Like 3

Sitting between Norwich at 24c and Ipswich at 29c, so probably around 27c (really need a closer station) and lots of Ac cas clouds building up. Still a decent NE breeze just taking the edge off those temps. Looking at the charts being posted in the storm thread and the triangle is clearly defined, as in, nothing gonna happen here!

• Like 1

Topped off at 31c here in lowland East London.

Fine currently but less pleasant than yesterday with higher humidity - up to 43% according to NW and despite a noticeable E'ly breeze picking up from the river.

• Like 1

well we slowly crept up to 31.8c today, down to 29.9c now as a bit of cloud has bubbled up, but still feeling humid.  There is a nice breeZe up on top of farthing downs here in coulsdon but down in the valley its fairly calm and clamy. looks like we have a few days more of hot weather to come, but then It is summer after all and we all love our weather extremes in ths country so roll on more hot and sunny days. Then perhaps we will have the usual big bang of thunderstorms drifting up over the channel and giving us some great lightening shows, and of course very active storm threads. 🙂

Time for a cooling drink 🍹 i think 😀

• Like 2

Got all excited hearing the possible severe thunderstorms later next week to look at the GFS ensembles to see most the action is going to be in the North West once again! What do we need for a good storm down here nowadays, we put up with the heat and get bugger all in the way of storms 🤔 

• Like 2

Got waves of ac cas coming in now, each wave stronger than the one before. May be they are riding the 20 degree dp. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

Outlook for tommorow?

Depends on your perspective, either Hot, fantastic summer, yay, woohoooo, don’t like storms anyway!

or

Hot, humid, sweaty yuk and why the hell have we not got a storm!

🤗🤪

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

A wonderful day! Topped out at 30C here in the end, so 3 days running of getting into the thirties. Interesting that the increased enjoyment in my neck of the woods was probably down to the humidity dropping from 89% at the start of the day to 42% by 16.00. All thanks to the breeze coming in off the North Sea.

2127533720_Wattisham09Aug.thumb.jpg.cfbd2eb89ca350b1be79ccca18060b39.jpg

And a stunning sunset to end the day. :oldsmile:

351034510_HadleighSunset09Aug.thumb.jpg.c00aac9914dad52297743118c2f7eb1d.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
Correction.
  • Like 8