Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

27.3 feels a lot hotter, going by weather charts looks like we have not seen the peak of the heat yet, very hot days, very warm nights particularly London and the coast at night time, ukmo leads the way 

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, clark3r said:

27.3 feels a lot hotter, going by weather charts looks like we have not seen the peak of the heat yet, very hot days, very warm nights particularly London and the coast at night time, ukmo leads the way 

I’d say we have chances of breaking 4 records this week.

1) hottest all time temp

2) hottest nighttime temp

3) hottest 3 day streak (mean and absolute) 

4) hottest 6 day streak (mean) 

Personally I think 3 & 4 have higher probability of being broken than 1 & 2 but we’ll see. 

• Like 2

Humidex values are hitting the mid thirties in the far se which is pretty horrible ! 

Values have been into the 40s across parts of France for the last few days which is why there have been some red warnings issued.

• Like 5

Not a forecast you see every day - For the next 3 days, starting from tomorrow, the Met Office forecast daily maxima at Heathrow is within 2C of the all time temperature record.

heathrow.png

• Like 3

Stopped off at Cambridge services, the 30c broken here. I wasn’t sure that the bbc forecast high of 32c but it looks possible.

Back home, okay to still have low cloud is quite something, only 23c here too.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
21 minutes ago, clark3r said:

Wow so close to the heat over 3 degrees different in temp in such a small space of distance 

To be fair, I think our garden is a bit of a hot spot, in spite of it being a reasonable size. I've got a Davis weather station though, so I'm fairly confident of the value, even if it's a bit 'local' to here!

• Like 1

We'd better get used to more frequent heatwaves. Here's some interesting analysis by Dan Holley at Weatherquest showing the increasing occurrences over recent decades:

"The UK has only recorded 37+°C on 4 days: 03 Aug 1990, 10 Aug 2003, 25 Jul 2019, 31 Jul 2020. Exceeding 33°C occurred 2-3 years per decade in the 1960s to 1980s; however, this happened in 8 of the past 10 years. The average ≥30°C days per year has increased from 5 in 1990 to 9 in 2019."

1658408890_UKHeatwaves.thumb.jpg.e455848dc31766d9fbce6c7d658eadf8.jpg

Source: Twitter @danholley_

The last three days here in South Suffolk have been 34C, 32C and today (as at 15.00) 30C.

• Like 3

Sitting between Norwich at 24c and Ipswich at 29c, so probably around 27c (really need a closer station) and lots of Ac cas clouds building up. Still a decent NE breeze just taking the edge off those temps. Looking at the charts being posted in the storm thread and the triangle is clearly defined, as in, nothing gonna happen here!

• Like 1