Jump to content
Blessed Weather

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

That is the issue with a sparse (official) observation network. If you used just the Met Office stations then the wettest location was Tibenham with 47mm, if you include Environment Agency gauges then 68mm near Harleston comes in, and if you include unofficial PWS then Blofield with near 100mm would lead the way - but it is difficult to verify these reports as we don't know how reliable a given rain gauge is.

Naturally rainfall varies significantly over just a few miles, so it will be very difficult to give an accurate picture of how much has fallen in a given location - even radar coverage in this part of the world is rather poor, we are far from any radar sites, and so the beam is quite high and there is a lot of overlapping in the composite data with other radars, so even a radar-estimate wouldn't be ideal (and probably underestimate).

Edited by staplehurst

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning  all after soggy Sunday  looking at the radar could be more problems  later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tinybill said:

Morning  all after soggy Sunday  looking at the radar could be more problems  later

No no real problems... It is expected to pretty much kill itself of that front.. Notice how long it is taking to push through... MAX 4-8mm from this band 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today this morning, there was a pinkish orange sky with thick layers of cirrus clouds.  The temperature is 12ºC and the humidity has gone down from yesterday's 82% to 74% humidity.  The barometric pressure has risen to 1016.0 hPa. There is 80 to 90% chance of moderate rainfall from  6pm to 11pm which was forecasted on the Met Office Website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked the Met Office website for yesterday's 'extremes' and they are sticking with Tibenham Airfield, Norfolk, as the highest rainfall in the East of England with 47.2mm (that was also the UK extreme). Without a doubt - as Mapantz and @staplehurst suggest above - the sparse Met Office official stations are failing to capture the local extremes. It's a shame they don't adopt the Environment Agency's 1,000 real-time rain gauges and bring them into their network.

666171519_MetOffExtremes06Oct.thumb.jpg.bc12fa52175d54a749a73ac35f22ddea.jpg

Source: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/u128tbey2#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1570384500&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Just checked the Met Office website for yesterday's 'extremes' and they are sticking with Tibenham Airfield, Norfolk, as the highest rainfall in the East of England with 47.2mm (that was also the UK extreme). Without a doubt - as Mapantz and @staplehurst suggest above - the sparse Met Office official stations are failing to capture the local extremes. It's a shame they don't adopt the Environment Agency's 1,000 real-time rain gauges and bring them into their network.

666171519_MetOffExtremes06Oct.thumb.jpg.bc12fa52175d54a749a73ac35f22ddea.jpg

Source: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/u128tbey2#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1570384500&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01

More than 47mm easily fell in other areas just watching some of those rainfall rates sit over areas for over an hour.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 hour radar totals to 0900 show the higher end of those numbers with 70+ in places. 

radar-24hr-se.png

Obviously that's missing a bit though, since the rain started before 9am yesterday. The map for yesterday, suggests 80+

daily.20191006.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Paul said:

24 hour radar totals to 0900 show the higher end of those numbers with 70+ in places

(SNIPPED)

Thanks Paul - I keep forgetting we have a great selection of charts & models - including the high res rainfall total maps - available in Netweather Extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High res models pep up the band again for us this afternoon some spots getting quite a bit in the far south east.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Holley and Weatherquest saying 64 mm for Acle yesterday. Exceptional!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paul said:

24 hour radar totals to 0900 show the higher end of those numbers with 70+ in places. 

radar-24hr-se.png

Obviously that's missing a bit though, since the rain started before 9am yesterday. The map for yesterday, suggests 80+

daily.20191006.png

 

Thanks for putting these rainfall charts up Paul. They clearly illustrate why it was so flooded around Lowestoft yesterday! As you say, they start from 09:00 whereas the rain started heavy here at 03:00. An exceptional rainfall event here in the Waveney District!!

Gavin @Lowestoft Weather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back from a wet Cumbria to see another 21mm fallen here in Cobham since Saturday morning - we really are stuck in a rut weather wise - wonder how long this wet season will last it’s only been 2 weeks and it seems a lot longer !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arid Acle said:

Dan Holley and Weatherquest saying 64 mm for Acle yesterday. Exceptional!

Not so arid now !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

Back from a wet Cumbria to see another 21mm fallen here in Cobham since Saturday morning - we really are stuck in a rut weather wise - wonder how long this wet season will last it’s only been 2 weeks and it seems a lot longer !!

Looks like it’ll be unsettled for quite some time to come. Hoping for some high pressure and seasonal frosts and fogs at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks like it’ll be unsettled for quite some time to come. Hoping for some high pressure and seasonal frosts and fogs at some point.

Yes cant wait for the first log fire ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All pretty boring stuff watching the ECM output at the moment, high pressure to the south low pressure to the north or north west and that's about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

All pretty boring stuff watching the ECM output at the moment, high pressure to the south low pressure to the north or north west and that's about it...

Boring but does feel seasonally about right..!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Boring but does feel seasonally about right..!?

I think we might have become accustomed to some drier and sunny October's of recent years certainly in this neck of the woods, I remember going round in a t-shirt for the first 2 weeks or so last October and then we had those 2 very mild/warm Halloweens in 2015/16 (I think), so yes a bit more Autumnal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather a ferocious little storm just passed through Peterborough thunder lightning horizontal rain and very windy back to sunshine now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A day to myself, catching up with lots of things, including weather bits and bobs. 34.c in the polytunnel, perfect for ripening off the last of the chillies.

Coats and Warmies Index has now started. Sainsbury's already has all its bobble hats in stock - and I was quite surprised to see a whole display unit full of thermal undergarments. For now, that is all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, completely unexpected lightning strike near Beaconsfield this afternoon, just didn't register it was thunder as it was overhead, I physically cowered - I thought a building was collapsing. I must have looked like a right fool!!😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how long we will have to wait before we see snow in the South East this winter?😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Wonder how long we will have to wait before we see snow in the South East this winter?😣

Sleet for the next 3 years and then a full 3cm downpour come 2022 sounds likely 😛 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Essex Easterly. said:

Sleet for the next 3 years and then a full 3cm downpour come 2022 sounds likely 😛 

lol sleet is the new snow in the se

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Wonder how long we will have to wait before we see snow in the South East this winter?😣

Current October Fog Index score: 0/10 and a third of the way through.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...