South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

20 minutes ago, Mikel Nimbus said:

Wasn't expecting this but yes, the winds are on a different level from last weekend and seem far more sustained than gusty. There's also already more damage. Just came back home and there are whole fences blowing across the roads.

My guess is the wind direction has different effects on perceived wind speed, seems stronger to me aswell but I know it's not.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

My guess is the wind direction has different effects on perceived wind speed, seems stronger to me aswell but I know it's not.

True and maybe also actual wind speed? e.g. a certain location might be more sheltered from westerlies but exposed to southerlies? Wind speeds are higher on my anemometer this evening than for Storm Ciara.

Edited by Mikel Nimbus
5 hours ago, Rob Deacon said:

Max gust in my garden was 10 minutes ago, 52.6mph.

Last weekend I got 62.2mph

So in haywards Heath west Sussex it's not as powerful as last weekend yet, same story with other weather stations I've looked at so far

Edit, ha cant believe the post above mine at the same time with almost exactly same speeds. Where you based snoangel?

I’m near Canterbury in Kent.

Just had a gust of 70 mph!!! No wonder I can’t sleep

Edited by snoangel
  • Like 1

Good morning everyone... Well I've just got up.  NOT LIKING the sounds of these winds in Tunbridge Wells one bit.   I'm no expert and love following Netweather but I'd say this is worse than last weekend. 

The gusts here are finally getting less intense after the noisiest night I can remember for many years - lots of alarming banging so dread to think how much fencing has gone. My son’s flight safely landed at Gatwick a few minutes after 5am, having done a last minute abort and fly around. He texted to say that passengers had burst into tears and were terrified; that it was the most difficult flying experience he’s ever had (he flies constantly on business). Noticed on Flight Radar the next plane did the same thing too.  Sent a short video as plane reached its gate, the torrential rain being blown sideways and off the ground looks like a tropical storm scene - horrendous conditions for travelling. Go very carefully if you have to drive in the next hours or so. 

Just had a gust here pushing 70mph easily.. Bloody hell the noise! This trumps Ciara I think.. It's kept me up most the night 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, biddie said:

Look at that massive squall line on the radar !!

Yep countrywide about to cross London

The next lot of rain pushing into South West England now.. Very bad flooding of roads round here just had a quick drive round a lot of debris on roads had to stop a couple of times to rescue peoples bins in the middle of the road.. 

Rain is now more of an issue as it looks like it's going to pour all day.. Expecting met office to update warnings over us shortly.. 

2 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Rare red warning for South Wales - looks like a lot of rain still to come for south east too ..

Yeah I'm expecting that abmber to maybe be increased or something changed slightly.. Looking at the models now we have a whole day of rain ahead =( 

I wanted to get out and sort some bamboo! 

5 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Squall line passing over now. Wowsers! Torrential rain and impressive gusts.

Yep I'm under it now.. Wind is not as impressive as the squalls last week but the rain is tropical.. In fact I think the wind was gusting stronger early hours of this morning 

5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Yep I'm under it now.. Wind is not as impressive as the squalls last week but the rain is tropical.. In fact I think the wind was gusting stronger early hours of this morning 

I think my location enhances the gusty effect - but yes, early hours was stronger. Dennis has outperformed Ciara for me. 

16 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Yeah I'm expecting that abmber to maybe be increased or something changed slightly.. Looking at the models now we have a whole day of rain ahead =( 

I wanted to get out and sort some bamboo! 

Sounds like the weather has bamboozled you !!! 

5 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

I think my location enhances the gusty effect - but yes, early hours was stronger. Dennis has outperformed Ciara for me. 

Easily here to... This was going to be the case in some areas and not others.. Will take photos of lake at back of my garden its risen maybe 2 or 3" neighbours are worried.. My garden how resembles a pond.. The issue where I am is the ground water level if high enough floods all our back gardens and right up to the back doors last time.. 

• Like 2