South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion Sept 2019 onwards

2 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

Love this song from my youth and it seems appropriate this evening

Just joking but I do love this song.

Interestingly one of our local 'characters' was walking down the shopping precinct today singing this..... possibly he is a prophet after all!

Edited by kate1
  • Like 3
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dunstable got a good snow cover but melted in the afternoon. Hills around the area did ok. I drove to the highest point in the Chiltrens to have my snow fix. Some photos from Wendover Wood this mornin

Nice bit of snow here this morning, so that means it won’t go down as one of the worst winters I can remember but only by the skin of its teeth . Photos below ?

Shower cloud lit up nicely by the low sun earlier this evening north of Heathrow where I work.

Posted Images

Getting really gusty already, had to shut the window which I hate but the cat was getting spooked at the noise.

So where in our region do we think will get the highest gust? I’d go for Lydd Airport perhaps, or Langdon Bay. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Getting really gusty already, had to shut the window which I hate but the cat was getting spooked at the noise.

So where in our region do we think will get the highest gust? I’d go for Lydd Airport perhaps, or Langdon Bay. 

Could be a number of places along the south coast, the needles isle.of wight seems.favourable, but there's shoreham, beachy head etc etc, may even get a surprise from the forecasted squall lines that estofex are on about, either way, some very lively weather over the next 18hrs or so

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Could be a number of places along the south coast, the needles isle.of wight seems.favourable, but there's shoreham, beachy head etc etc, may even get a surprise from the forecasted squall lines that estofex are on about, either way, some very lively weather over the next 18hrs or so

The Needles has to be right up there surely... but Lydd could run it close.

• Like 1

The wind has got a lot worse even in the last half a. Hour. Just think we may possibly get 20-30 mph on top of what we have now. Scary thought. I have noticed that the gusts are pretty consistent as well. That’s not good 

Edited by DonnaThw
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

The wind has got a lot worse even in the last half a. Hour. Just think we may possibly get 20-30 mph on top of what we have now. Scary thought. I have noticed that the gusts are pretty consistent as well. That’s not good 

The gusts are certainly stronger than I was expecting them to be at this time... To think it was nearly calm only 4-5 hours ago!

Edited by LightningLover

Woken up and I was not expecting to be able to hear the wind slamming into the front windows and  over the chimney already.. Oh boy and now talk of the cold fronts able to mix down possibly 80mph even inland in local areas ohhh boy... Here we go... Good luck roof 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

I fell asleep for a couple of hours, but since then, the wind has become far stronger, and the gusts are getting quite wild already... Is it supposed to be this windy at this time?

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I fell asleep for a couple of hours, but since then, the wind has become far stronger, and the gusts are getting quite wild already... Is it supposed to be this windy at this time?

I'm in Tunbridge Wells... That's damned windy here... 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Did the same lol! Couldn't be waking up at 3am although in the week I'm up by 4am..can hear that sound when you get the bigger gusts around the house... 

Yes most models have us gusting over 50mph by the time we get to 6am.. Can't be far off now.. And to think we might get to 70mph maybe even higher in any squall lines... 

• Like 1

Bit blowy out for a quick dog walk this morning, but currently not that bad, assuming it maybe worse for the afternoon stroll. Not raining here yet, which was a bonus. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

This forecast from Estofex is worth looking at. That seems quite noteworthy for our region.

http://www.estofex.org/

Wow, don’t see that in summer here, let alone winter. Could well be some very severe conditions with any squall lines that develop. Also interesting to read that these lines may reach the Czech Republic by Monday. Here in Prague it has been a beautiful, calm and sunny weekend, it’s currently -2°C with blue skies this morning, the calm before the storm. My Mum in Ashford, Middlesex says that the wind is already crazy there, this morning. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Back from a walk with the dog, a bit gusty at times , but nothing major as yet, dry very mild 11c...see what the next few hours bring.

5 minutes ago, tinybill said:

its  a  bit  windy!!!  but  what happened  to therain!

Thankful it’s not here.....yet! Just starting to dry out round here, we don’t want any more. 

Well here in Hooe (2km from pevensey bay) we are the first house on the hill and it’s not more than a blowy day so far. Sustained wind speed of 20mph and a few 30-40mph gusts. Had to retrieve the chimnea cover. 
looking at metoffice forecast things have been tempered back a bit - max wind speed here for lunch time with sustained 37 and gusts of upto 65. Hopefully the trees hold up.