Jump to content

Storms and Convective discussion - 28th July 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a huge storm yesterday afternoon.

Picture of last nights supercell in Edinburgh taken from portobello beach 

Satellite infra red imagery from the early hours of this morning showed quite a dark core for the low pressure system out in the bay of Biscay. I would take this to show that the low pressure system w

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, John90 said:

It depends where you are on a storm. It's rare you'll get tornadoes on the leading edge of a gust front but if this was the back end of the storm and it looked right on radar, I'd be very interested in that lowering on the right hand side. 

Ah it did look like something was starting to form but I’m not an expert so wasn’t sure. Wonder if anyone has the radar for the time I posted to see if it actually was a tornado trying to form! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SarahWxm said:

Ah it did look like something was starting to form but I’m not an expert so wasn’t sure. Wonder if anyone has the radar for the time I posted to see if it actually was a tornado trying to form! 

It's mostly likely scud cloud which is non rotating condensation that forms as the gust front pushes warm air above it. It can look spectacular and quote dynamic. Either way it looks like theres some great storm structure today. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely see cells on radar taking left turns and right turns. I'm sure some cells will be rotating amongst all that lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

 Something interesting developing here 

Have you got transport?

if so,i would head up to Fromby by looking at the latest radar,a storm to your NE moving westwards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Small but perfectly formed storm just passed over Bradford. Several forked lightning, some decent thunder, and even a vaguely wall cloudish feature.

Consider me sated ?

IMG_0721.JPG

Edited by Stormchick
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are looking good up north. My only hope for here is that the storms push back southeast on the western flank of the low as it heads east tonight. However, with reducing CAPE into tonight I think it is fair to say the action is too far north now for me to chase. The centre of the low is producing heavy rain but nothing thundery. Here we are having occasional moderate bursts but sunny spells too.

Convective weather close today with the MDT area. 

Edit: And just as I post, some activity in the south. Maybe... just maybe ?

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Things are looking good up north. My only hope for here is that the storms push back southeast on the western flank of the low as it heads east tonight. However, with reducing CAPE into tonight I think it is fair to say the action is too far north now for me to chase. The centre of the low is producing heavy rain but nothing thundery. Here we are having occasional moderate bursts but sunny spells too.

Convective weather close today with the MDT area. 

Edit: And just as I post, some activity in the south. Maybe... just maybe ?

I nearly jumped off my seat when i saw sferics in the south?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a Thunderstorm over Dublin about 13:30. I missed it but my daughter was the lucky one again, she couldn't see any CG nor did it show up on blitzortung.org so most likely IC.

Another has developed to my west as I type, it will miss me ha. The day is young.

Edit: blitzortung.org now showing strikes to my west....thunder is deep rumbling.

Edited by Raindrops
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CreweCold said:

In a void of nothingness shower/storm wise here. 

Don't give up yet, ,I wasn't expecting any of this in my area today. This low pressure is a slow mover there is plenty of hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raindrops said:

Don't give up yet, ,I wasn't expecting any of this in my area today. This low pressure is a slow mover there is plenty of hope.

 

2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

In a void of nothingness shower/storm wise here. 

Raindrops has a point, I wasn't expecting anything and some heavy showers are coming right my way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

In a void of nothingness shower/storm wise here. 

Well we've just had nothing but rain here, not expecting anything else, be a huge surprise if it did happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heavy showers here in Padstow, got soaked as I headed for the Pasty shop.

I'm afraid someone sneakily packed the storm shield  as is evident that it's doing its work down here and you lot up norf are reaping the rewards.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...