Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Storms and Convective Discussion - 25th June 2019 onwards

Energy seems to be heading NW. Perhaps the MO jumped the gun a bit including the SE in the warning..

Just now, Storm mad said:

I have to say the storms in the channel look west London at best for their Eastern extent.  Anyone else think this? 

Weather models are showing expansion and more cells firing up to the east of the main activity across Portsmouth at the moment so central London I should think in a couple of hours

Lightning absolutely everywhere here!

You can view it on my webcam, depending on my bandwidth.

Edited by Mapantz

Quite often venture down to Minehead/Watchet way about this time of year... (not this year though) and what I wouldn’t give to be there now. Sitting on Exmoor watching a storm over the water would be something else... 

Alas, it looks like I’m still too far east

This storm in Portsmouth is spectacular but hope it doesn't rain too much, I was enjoying sitting out in the warm and dry tbh... can't have it all I guess ;)

Back home now but now it’s close enough to see it from here. 

Does anyone else feel like this is almost a carbon copy of 4th July 2015? 

Edited by ChezWeather

1 minute ago, Storm mad said:

I have to say the storms in the channel look west London at best for their Eastern extent.  Anyone else think this? 

I’ve been intimating at this and I’ve not seen much to change my mind. London maybe in for a shout but the N/W cells doing by far the best at the moment. 

Skies here across SE London/NW Kent borders have cleared somewhat in the past hour making me fear we are just east of the high instability. Hope to be proven wrong through. 

Well our little cell is moving north now towards Tavistock and Dartmoor. Still rumbling away merrily in the distance

I am sure they didn't predict the storms around the London area if I remember right they were west coast then over to Yorkshire and up through Scotland were they predicted this far east?

1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hope those of little faith are able to enjoy! This could be a classic.

5 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

new post from PJB from UKWW

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/121888-convective-outlook-tuesday-23rd-july-2019/

Airmass and EIR Imagery indicates the Plume is now destabilising and cloud growth is now rapidly occuring within the plume of >20C Theta- W, the storms over the Channel moving north but developing to the NW suggesting they are ingesting this air as the main source, expect these to further develop NNW over Hants, Dorset and CS England. Further potent storms now also developing over SW England. The ribbon of Positive Vorticity is further advecting NNE and this improved environment is allowing the storms to develop in situ, Further building will occur within the plume

Thank you. I have now 35% of a chance haha 🙂

Just been watching some very distant flashes off to my north - nothing showing on lightning maps..  bizarre!

1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

No 😂

Frequent lightning from the storm towards Driffield (E Yorks), heading north of Brid, Filey, Scarbados area. Some lovely stuff but any thunder isn't audible from 15/20 miles away.

Nowt on the lightning maps though.

Just now, sconetone said:

Just been watching some very distant flashes off to my north - nothing showing on lightning maps..  bizarre!

There is a lighting node showing near Nottingham 

Edited by NTC

Just now, Andy Bown said:

Hope those of little faith are able to enjoy! This could be a classic.

Little faith - not able to enjoy (yet again!)

Been a flurry of strikes from Portsmouth to Brighton recently - if they verify, could be game on for parts of SE (maybe!!!)