Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, coldfingers1 said:

Same here in Bognor, it gets really cloudy to the west or the north of us and we see not a drop of badly needed rainfall. 😞

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to get decent rainfall here..? If these Synoptics are struggling God knows when we’ll get our fair share of rain, unless we are just really unlucky 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Burnham on the Essex Riviera😀 (just north of Southend)...looks like we'll miss out on any showers which look like you're experiencing or shortly going to, breezy here but nothing untoward currently.

Some intense echoes moving towards W London shortly. Lightning too. Your area might get these showers overnight. Did you construct your Stevenson screen? Impressive to have that in your garden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Freeze said:

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to get decent rainfall here..? If these Synoptics are struggling God knows when we’ll get our fair share of rain, unless we are just really unlucky 

Plenty of rain and showers forecast for next week, not to worry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Plenty of rain and showers forecast for next week, not to worry

Hopefully, i know some areas are getting hammered I just get jealous  😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brief power cut here in Halesworth, winds really starting to pick up, but still sunny and humid. BBC app showing a single thunder symbol for 9pm tonight, hope the flying pigs take cover 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Hopefully, i know some areas are getting hammered I just get jealous  😆

Lol, that’s understandable. I’d like to be under those storms too. Some of the echoes are intense! Missed one to the NW an hour or so ago. More incoming, might get a direct hit for once, this time. The showers/storms are zipping through at a fair rate, so less likelihood of flooding

Edited by stainesbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blazerblue said:

Brief power cut here in Halesworth, winds really starting to pick up, but still sunny and humid. BBC app showing a single thunder symbol for 9pm tonight, hope the flying pigs take cover 🤣

Same here. But, whatever it was that caused it, it was nowt to do with lightning!:oldsad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.. That storm packed a punch anyone in North Surrey caught that one moving through? Winds are probably 50mph plus in that!! Crazy August weather all the trees just look beaten up now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Some intense echoes moving towards W London shortly. Lightning too. Your area might get these showers overnight. Did you construct your Stevenson screen? Impressive to have that in your garden

Yep - constructed it about 10 years ago and has British Standard sheathed bulbs (Max/Min) which are supposed to be the doggies do dahs, only problem is it wouldn't pass MetO standards for readings though it's facing north it's on the back of a shed and not the 20m from any trees...it will do. You can actually buy the louvered boxes now from MetCheck instruments plus the bulbs which are twice as expensive now as they contain gallium as opposed to mercury but won't do your wallet any good. Really good site.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took a direct hit from this.. 

Screenshot_20190809_172029_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.9a90277dd209a5644c9bd1d46b6dfee1.jpg

Skies just before the heavens opened and wind was intense.. 

IMG_20190809_165636.thumb.jpg.74c886999ecaf7c00a37eb6c4f6bd905.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Lol, that’s understandable. Some of the echoes are intense! Missed one to the NW an hour or so ago. More incoming, might get a direct hit for once, this time. The showers/storms are zipping through at a fair rate, so less likelihood of flooding

I’ve just looked at the radar and see them just skimming my area to the west, Im hoping nowhere gets flooded however I’m hoping to catch One of these intense downpours, after I finish work that is.. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yep - constructed it about 10 years ago and has British Standard sheathed bulbs (Max/Min) which are supposed to be the doggies do dahs, only problem is it wouldn't pass MetO standards for readings though it's facing north it's on the back of a shed and not the 20m from any trees...it will do. You can actually buy the louvered boxes now from MetCheck instruments plus the bulbs which are twice as expensive now as they contain gallium as opposed to mercury but won't do your wallet any good. Really good site.

Sounds fantastic, you’re lucky to have one! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Well.. That storm packed a punch anyone in North Surrey caught that one moving through? Winds are probably 50mph plus in that!! Crazy August weather all the trees just look beaten up now 

Just moved through here, lost a bit of intensity but still an impressive downpour 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Brief power cut here in Halesworth, winds really starting to pick up, but still sunny and humid. BBC app showing a single thunder symbol for 9pm tonight, hope the flying pigs take cover 🤣

A power cut has affected much of South London including all of SE16 the power was off for roughly 20 minutes once in a blue moon occurrence, suppose it’s different for you rural folk, so very unusual in duration and not at all isolated... lower road chaos, so I’m told with traffic lights off glad it’s been fixed. Modern city life ceases without electricity.

 

Edited by Daniel*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had a power cut here too, but it lasted maybe 10 minutes. (used to it here though in windy weather)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dami said:

had a power cut here too, but it lasted maybe 10 minutes. (used to it here though in windy weather)

I am lucky, we almost never get a power cut because we are on same grid as local hospital. I am dying for some good thunderstorms though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, coldfingers1 said:

I am lucky, we almost never get a power cut because we are on same grid as local hospital. I am dying for some good thunderstorms though!

The transformer or whatever it's called is maybe 2 mins away from me ( in an enclosed brick housing) and gets a strike now and again, but have had power off all night in the past and hated it.

Edited by Dami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I’ve just looked at the radar and see them just skimming my area to the west, Im hoping nowhere gets flooded however I’m hoping to catch One of these intense downpours, after I finish work that is.. lol

The radar showed a sizeable chunk of cloud heading straight for Bognor! I was getting ready to cheer but it passed overhead with just a few drops, not even enough to dampen a handkerchief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dami said:

The transformer or whatever it's called is maybe 2 mins away from me ( in an enclosed brick housing) and gets a strike now and again, but have had power off all night in the past and hated it.

Last time we had a power cut it was off for 10 mins because someone crashed a motorbike through the wooden fence and hit the transformer but I think they rerouted it through another one because the transformer wasn't fixed until next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh look, rain! *waves*. Nice seeing you from a distance. This is getting ridiculous. 

IMG_20190809_175037.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, coldfingers1 said:

The radar showed a sizeable chunk of cloud heading straight for Bognor! I was getting ready to cheer but it passed overhead with just a few drops, not even enough to dampen a handkerchief.

It always seems to be the way, I think it was Wednesday where there was a heavy shower shown right overhead on the radar, but nothing fell, only to find that my brother was at Tesco 2 miles up the road and apparently had a hail shower.

Edited by Freeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if it’s to do with the power cut but I was unfortunate enough to be caught in my work suit while biking home in Cambridge just now. Truly, I’ve never seen anything like it. Instantaneous surface water flooding, lightning overhead, was absolutely drenched - my shoes emptied like a bucket of water when I got home, had to ring out my socks 3 times. Insane weather! More on the way by the looks of things, must have been over 30mms or more in 15 minutes, wouldn’t be surprised if it was way higher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say wow if this is a taster of whats to come tomorrow my word cats dog and everythingvat the moment struth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...