Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

Southeast and East Anglia weather discussion

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, shotski said:

Dare I say it but wasn’t yesterday just one of the worst days ? I appreciate some people like extreme heat but the majority of people yesterday seemed to be hating every minute of it  and I didn’t see much enjoyment like you would with a snow day. Don’t get me wrong the evening was nice in the garden having drinks with friends but the heat during the day wasn’t enjoyable one little bit. I’m really hoping we don’t get a repeat any time soon. 

I'm convinced that most ordinary people, i.e. not weather enthusiasts, found yesterday too hot in southern and Eastern England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I'm convinced that most ordinary people, i.e. not weather enthusiasts, found yesterday too hot in southern and Eastern England.

I was, working in it.. Cap on factor 50 ice cold water gardening the power tools all packed up lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shotski said:

Dare I say it but wasn’t yesterday just one of the worst days ? I appreciate some people like extreme heat but the majority of people yesterday seemed to be hating every minute of it  and I didn’t see much enjoyment like you would with a snow day. Don’t get me wrong the evening was nice in the garden having drinks with friends but the heat during the day wasn’t enjoyable one little bit. I’m really hoping we don’t get a repeat any time soon. 

Last night was unbearable, the fan was just blowing hot air at us, not being able to sleep and getting stuck to your bed...no thanks, roll on 10c and drizzle.🥰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it the cold front is still to the west of me somewhere, or has it jumped us then regained strength in North East Coast. Still feels very warm and humid here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well before last nights storm activity I thought here on the Essex coast we could be in for some torrential rain, couldn't have been more wrong! we only had 2.5mm in total and today as expected cooler but still feels kind of a humid and a max of 27.2c (hardly refreshing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well before last nights storm activity I thought here on the Essex coast we could be in for some torrential rain, couldn't have been more wrong! we only had 2.5mm in total and today as expected cooler but still feels kind of a humid and a max of 27.2c (hardly refreshing)

Same here, and although we did get heavy rain, it looked like we didn't, if you get what I mean. Someone even called it dry rain, just instant evaporation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if a repost ... but Im not surprised by the met office update (see inserted pic) ... there was a big strip going south west from Cambridge down to Biggleswade/Sandy with peak PWS readings of 104/105 widely! ... 104f is 39.44C - met office stations nowhere to be seen in SW Cambridgeshire!

Here in St Neots we caught a big bank of cloud from Bedford and so were restricted to low 38s at peak...but in the clearer areas who knows without proper stations?

image.thumb.png.b1ea92f5a2b27994f5032b17eac25e75.png

Edited by Bryn Webster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bryn Webster said:

Sorry if a repost ... but Im not surprised ... there was a big strip going south west from Cambridge down to Biggleswade with peak PWS readings of 104/105 widely! ... 104f is 39.44C - met office stations nowhere to be seen in SW Cambridgeshire!

image.thumb.png.b1ea92f5a2b27994f5032b17eac25e75.png

I'm taking my 38.2c reading as a new record, unofficial or otherwise given how close I am to cambridge!! 😁

Edited by James1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, James1979 said:

I'm taking my 38.2c reading as a new record unofficial or otherwise!! 😁

Can't blame you ...... a shop owner in the st neots town square claims their shaded weather station reached 39C - is that really surprising in such a concreted area?

😁 I just like extreme weather ...maybe my life has got too boring.....I actually dont like temps over 30C unless its holiday somewhere new!😄
 

Edited by Bryn Webster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bryn Webster said:

Can't blame you ...... a shop owner in the st neots town square claims their shaded weather station reached 39C - is that really surprising in such a concreted area?

😁 I just like extreme weather ...maybe my life has got too boring.....I actually dont like temps over 30C unless its holiday somewhere new!😄
 

Exactly the same as that, I love extreme weather (and still hope to tornado chase one day)but my days of wanting to beat heat records are long gone... however I was still quite excited yesterday given we had no choice and were so close! 39c in the town square has to be due to the concrete for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest how many out there can claim their thermometers are accurate? I have a quite a few. Some weather station based and various others. The readings are all over the place for an in the shade reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well tomorrow’s weather looks bleak for this part of NW Kent but even now there still seems doubt of where this front will end up less than 24hrs from happening(can you imagine if this was winter and we were talking about snow🤣🤣?).If current thought of thinking is right some parts of the region could end up getting 1-2 inches of rain with temps of about 18 degrees!!what a difference to 2 days ago!,Ah the great British weather👍😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Out of interest how many out there can claim their thermometers are accurate? I have a quite a few. Some weather station based and various others. The readings are all over the place for an in the shade reading. 

I totally agree, humans have always struggled to record phenomenon and there is always a degree of margin or error ..... but if Im seeing a good 8-10 PWS stations in an area showing the same 104f-105f.......it says to me that the area should be an area for investigation.

For example....cambridge airport just east of the town was 38.1c .... yet the large botanical garden showed 38.7 which is SW of the centre........the PWS readings south west of Cambridge were the 100f plus readings....I didnt see anything above 100f in other outlying directions from Cambridge - though I did see 100f towards barr hill way

.....Im happy to be wrong....all I can do is observe and form very rough patterns.... if they are debased....so be it! I am but one man 😛

P.S. Im sure more sandy and even dry clay soils absorb heat quicker....wonder if we could have heat maps of different valleys and geologies and see if that bears any effect on 2m readings

Edited by Bryn Webster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been spoilt with thunder this week - Weds morning, Thursday evening- Friday morning. Had my total summers' worth of storms in a few days. 

Now the storms have gone it much fresher, have donned a swimsuit with bubs and we have been playing in the paddling pool. now it's cloudy and surprisingly much warmer indoors. The bedroom has been stuck at 30c but at last the fan is blowing cooler air now. 

Have been eyeing up some lovely coats for autumn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is much more like it, usable pleasant weather without roasting ur nuts off 👍  

CE246EAB-934D-4031-8C54-99676CD4911D.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Maybe a touch too cool?

Do you think ? 

With any sunshine would be 22-25 I would imagine. That’s perfect for a ginge like me 😁

Edited by shotski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James1979 said:

Exactly the same as that, I love extreme weather (and still hope to tornado chase one day)but my days of wanting to beat heat records are long gone... however I was still quite excited yesterday given we had no choice and were so close! 39c in the town square has to be due to the concrete for sure. 

And I’m taking my 37.9c here near Haverhill. Although it appears Cavendish which is 7 miles or so to my East got to 35.6c.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this out by mistake but if you want to create that Spanish holiday atmosphere in your garden in the summer, release a box of adult crickets. Sounds just like Andalusia 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryn Webster said:

I totally agree, humans have always struggled to record phenomenon and there is always a degree of margin or error ..... but if Im seeing a good 8-10 PWS stations in an area showing the same 104f-105f.......it says to me that the area should be an area for investigation.

For example....cambridge airport just east of the town was 38.1c .... yet the large botanical garden showed 38.7 which is SW of the centre........the PWS readings south west of Cambridge were the 100f plus readings....I didnt see anything above 100f in other outlying directions from Cambridge - though I did see 100f towards barr hill way

.....Im happy to be wrong....all I can do is observe and form very rough patterns.... if they are debased....so be it! I am but one man 😛

P.S. Im sure more sandy and even dry clay soils absorb heat quicker....wonder if we could have heat maps of different valleys and geologies and see if that bears any effect on 2m readings

I just wonder if the met office might listen or perhaps do some form of investigating in the area to the W and SW of Cambs if pushed enough? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still hot in the house but by tomorrow the heatwave is history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mid levels look very unstable here. Still humid as.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...