Jump to content

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc


Recommended Posts

Looks like birds in North America and here are delaying northerly migrations thanks to the cold weather in late spring and early summer. If only we could fly.

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/the-unseasonable-cool-has-left-colorado-a-bird-watchers-paradise-right-now

https://eu.courierpress.com/story/life/columnists/sharon-sorenson/2019/06/09/birds-keep-waiting-hummingbirds-and-goldfinches/1342538001/

Unusual ladybird swarm as they came out late

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/millions-ladybirds-form-80-mile-16382908

Cuckoo breeding starts late in UK

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/our-cuckoos-are-facing-a-race-against-the-clock-5t28xdtkj

 

And my corn, peppers and chilis aren't doing too well at the moment. They might be my fault but our apples, pears and plums look to have set very badly, too. We just need potato blight to set in now. Farmers must be having a tough time.

Edited by Aleman
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The met office have said no overnight records were broken, but they did mention this interesting phenomenon, a "heat burst"  

Worth remembering: We broke the July record today by 1.4C. That's a big margin!! 

We were so close!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

I take 25C max. and a fortnight of  dry and pretty sunny weather. 2012 seeing the 30C benchmark reached does not make up for what was a rank summer. 

 

I'd be happy with an average summer from now. Plenty of mid 20s days with partly cloudy skies and 200 hrs each in July/August.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last two nights and mornings I've had the heating on. Went to bed the last two nights with clothes on which is unheard of in June and would be considered rare in April/May.

Every single model run pushes any sustained warm weather back into FI which was the case with cold weather in Winter.

Summer is going to be dreadful and I'm willing to write if off. Sure, we might have the odd brief transient warm/hot blast but that's going to be it.

Summer is cancelled this year - you can quote me on it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Harve said:

8c in Buxton right now, a temperature around which it's been hovering all day in on-and-off moderate rain and a brisk, cold wind.

Not the nicest of days but as far as December goes I've seen worse. 

Pleased to report that at 11c, the rain is warmer today. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Harve said:

Pleased to report that at 11c, the rain is warmer today. 

Hopefully all this rain will dispel the notion from some on here that we have a sub-Saharan climate.

They were chirruping on about how the slightly dry weather was destroying farmers nationwide, but I haven't seen them in here saying the same about flooded fields and ruined crops.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Hopefully all this rain will dispel the notion from some on here that we have a sub-Saharan climate.

They were chirruping on about how the slightly dry weather was destroying farmers nationwide, but I haven't seen them in here saying the same about flooded fields and ruined crops.

But you're the only person who's ever used that particular piece of hyperbole, Az?:oldgood:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Hopefully all this rain will dispel the notion from some on here that we have a sub-Saharan climate.

They were chirruping on about how the slightly dry weather was destroying farmers nationwide, but I haven't seen them in here saying the same about flooded fields and ruined crops.

This. 

My partner said her clients mentioned how dry the soil was in their gardens, but they all knew the rain would come at some point.

Early 2012 was very dry, then it just seemed to be rainy at least one to two days every week between June and August of that summer. 

The other problem is not only the wet weather, but longer spells of cloudy weather. 

Hope we have a few weeks of 25-30c heat at some point soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Last two nights and mornings I've had the heating on. Went to bed the last two nights with clothes on which is unheard of in June and would be considered rare in April/May.

Every single model run pushes any sustained warm weather back into FI which was the case with cold weather in Winter.

Summer is going to be dreadful and I'm willing to write if off. Sure, we might have the odd brief transient warm/hot blast but that's going to be it.

Summer is cancelled this year - you can quote me on it.

That’s how I see this summer panning out now. We will probably see an improvement in July or towards late June, and another couple of brief warm spells in August but nothing noteworthy. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, markyo said:

Even i must admit,today has been what i'd class as fresh for mid June! Seen quite a lot of crop damage,not good at all. To much of the much needed rain can be a bad thing in many areas.

You must have missed this AZ

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Hopefully all this rain will dispel the notion from some on here that we have a sub-Saharan climate. 

Don't you mean Saharan climate? Much of sub-Saharan Africa has a tropical or monsoon climate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another monumentally nasty spell of weather.  Yesterday torrential rain with a max. of just 10C (mid-June ?), today the stellar high of 11C just now, and the rain has started again.  The last time I remember the weather  being so vile in what we laughingly describe as "summer" was the last weekend of August 1963 (August Bank Holiday was at the beginning of the month at that time.)

The unspeakably vile British climate has really excelled itself again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see that a lot of people are overreacting to the point of getting ridiculous

We come from months and months of temperatures that were way above average and now after not even a week of temperatures slightly under average you are all complaining and moaning like it's the end of the world...

 

If you like months and months of temperature constantly above 25° and little or no rain at all during the whole summer you are living clearly in the wrong country. I suggest you all move to some country in South Europe till you still can before Brexit kicks in

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today wouldn`t look out of the ordinary for November dull dreary drizzly and not light drizzle last few hours temps around 10.5c

And this low is really moving in such a strange way all from that strong northern blocking.

Edited by Snowyowl9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I'm not disheartened (I'm finding it quite interesting really), as early as last year I half expected this Summer to be much more like last year rather than the opposite it has been so far. This was based on the idea (which was promoted by a few on here) that good Summer's have a tendency if not a certainty to come in pairs. 

We've still got the end of June and all of July and August for that to be realised, but I'm far less optimistic of that been the case now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Although I'm not disheartened (I'm finding it quite interesting really), as early as last year I half expected this Summer to be much more like last year rather than the opposite it has been so far. This was based on the idea (which was promoted by a few on here) that good Summer's have a tendency if not a certainty to come in pairs. 

We've still got the end of June and all of July and August for that to be realised, but I'm far less optimistic of that been the case now.

I think once we get past July 5th, if there’s no real improvement, a hot summer will be less likely.

I’m feeling a 1980 or 87 vibe this year and have been since May. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

after some really cold weather wet here..today we are at 27c..the first time to hit 80f this month and looking at the outlook potentially the last :snowman-emoji:

Yes it seems it's not just the UK and Ireland that's having a cool and wet start to Summer but western North America also. Have heard the Pacific Northwest of the US is having a bad start to Summer also and as you're witness to yourself western Canada. Obviously a theme across the northern hemisphere in general.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Yes it seems it's not just the UK and Ireland that's having a cool and wet start to Summer but western North America also. Have heard the Pacific Northwest of the US is having a bad start to Summer also and as you're witness to yourself western Canada. Obviously a theme across the northern hemisphere in general.

This is interesting. Possibly a cooling theme taking place over the next few months or so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Although I'm not disheartened (I'm finding it quite interesting really), as early as last year I half expected this Summer to be much more like last year rather than the opposite it has been so far. This was based on the idea (which was promoted by a few on here) that good Summer's have a tendency if not a certainty to come in pairs. 

We've still got the end of June and all of July and August for that to be realised, but I'm far less optimistic of that been the case now.

It can happen sometimes like 1989 & 1990, 1995 & 1996, 2005 & 2006. But overall I'm not sure it happens all that often due to the fact that it's difficult getting persistent dry settled weather here in the first place. 2013 was hot (although mostly July on it's own) but the previous Summer and 2014 were not good nationwide. I'm sure there's other examples. Obviously still too early to compare this Summer to last because for all we know July & August could be record breakingly hot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

This is interesting. Possibly a cooling theme taking place over the next few months or so. 

I don't know about that but although it probably has little bearing I like to think that it might improve our chances of getting a colder Winter in 6 months or so. Although of course there are a few examples of hot Summers been followed by cold Winters I think the bulk of them tend to follow less good Summers, such was the case generally in the 60s the mid 80s and a more recent example been 2012. Although like anything else where the weather is concerned far from always, such as 2007 (although a theme of colder and snowier Winters did start around 18  months later, so there still could have been a conection there but obviously a bit later).

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It can happen sometimes like 1989 & 1990, 1995 & 1996, 2005 & 2006. But overall I'm not sure it happens all that often due to the fact that it's difficult getting persistent dry settled weather here in the first place. 2013 was hot (although mostly July on it's own) but the previous Summer and 2014 were not good nationwide. I'm sure there's other examples. Obviously still too early to compare this Summer to last because for all we know July & August could be record breakingly hot.

I would class 94 as a warm summer alongside 95. July was much better in 94, and although August was thundery in 94, it was still a better month compared to 96.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I don't know about that but although it probably has little bearing I like to think that it might improve our chances of getting a colder Winter in 6 months or so. Although of course there are a few examples of hot Summers been followed by cold Winters I think the bulk of them tend to follow less good Summers, such was the case generally in the 60s the mid 80s and a more recent example been 2012. Although like anything else where the weather is concerned far from always, such as 2007 (although a theme of colder and snowier Winters did start around 18  months later, so there still could have been a conection there but obviously a bit later).

Yes you are right. Hot summer of 95 was followed by a cold winter of 95/96, but then we look at the warm summer of 2013, which broke the long period of poor summers between 2007-12, and with that it put an end to the colder winters also.

2018 was a sunny warm summer, and we ended up with a mild winter. The previous summer of 17 was mediocre, and we saw a close to average winter that followed, with more colder snowy periods thrown in. 

Edited by Sunny76
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I don't know about that but although it probably has little bearing I like to think that it might improve our chances of getting a colder Winter in 6 months or so. Although of course there are a few examples of hot Summers been followed by cold Winters I think the bulk of them tend to follow less good Summers, such was the case generally in the 60s the mid 80s and a more recent example been 2012. Although like anything else where the weather is concerned far from always, such as 2007 (although a theme of colder and snowier Winters did start around 18  months later, so there still could have been a conection there but obviously a bit later).

1987 was followed by a mild winter though. 1980 was also a poor summer, and that winter was mild. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sunny76 said:

1987 was followed by a mild winter though. 1980 was also a poor summer, and that winter was mild. 

True. Although in the case of 87 onwards (although this might be a stretch) a tendency for warmer seasons could have begun then that wasn't realised in the Summer months until 89 (as was Summer 90, so there's another pair) So maybe it sort of works both ways?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...