Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Well what a day, the rain has started with aplomb here, hosing it down since 1PM, set to continue for 4 days straight. No doubt flooding will be evidenced by then. Well at least the heating is turned up, and lights on so I can actually see across the room. And now I am going into "summer hibernation", since I knew looking at forecasts and charts would be a mistake this summer. And so it was to be. Nothing above 16°C in my forecast so I shall leave all the model chasing behind and forget about the weather this summer until it finally does something I can appreciate. Take care!

• Like 1

Posted

Complete contrast here. 30C and blazing sunshine. 32-33C for the next five days. 

We definitely don't need the rain here though after the thrice-wetter-than-average May. There's still a lot of standing water around from the recent flooding. The mosquitos are loving it. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

Disgusting weather today. It’s not just wet, it’s cold. Awful for June, although I’m sure there are a few people who like it. 

1987, 2007 and 2011 and 12 are springing to mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
40 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Complete contrast here. 30C and blazing sunshine. 32-33C for the next five days. 

We definitely don't need the rain here though after the thrice-wetter-than-average May. There's still a lot of standing water around from the recent flooding. The mosquitos are loving it. 

are they proper mozzies like the ones that you get here..big aggressive barstewards that literally eat you alive?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The forecast looks absolutely grim for the next 2 weeks. A few days of average temperatures at best, and a great chance at a top 5 finish in the list of dullest Junes.

Hopefully July can rescue the summer. An average July would rescue the summer at the moment!

• Like 1

Posted

If July comes off poor, then 2019 will end up being a very poor summer.

Like a few have said though, there’s still time to turn things round, but time if things don’t improve by late June I think it’s game over. We will probably just end up with 2-3 weeks of settled warm weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It really is. To think that some folk on here prefer this to what we had last summer just baffles me.

Much better than stifling heat, scorched and dusty landscapes like we had last year. Everything actually looks green and vibrant. Nice to sleep in at night too.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Much better than stifling heat, scorched and dusty landscapes like we had last year. Everything actually looks green and vibrant. Nice to sleep in at night too.

So you prefer dull, damp and cloudy weather, with cool temps which make it feel like winter or autumn?

I can understand a couple of dull and cool days with some rain thrown in, but this relentless run of cloudy, unsettled with a brief bit of sun here and there type days doesn’t feel very summery. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

So you prefer dull, damp and cloudy weather, with cool temps which make it feel like winter or autumn?

I can understand a couple of dull and cool days with some rain thrown in, but this relentless run of cloudy, unsettled with a brief bit of sun here and there type days doesn’t feel very summery. 

I'm not saying I like it overly wet and cold but last year was too much. It went on for weeks on end. It was boring as much as anything else.

I don't even feel it has been too bad overall recently. We just haven't had the unbearable heat that some people obviously crave.

However, it does look rather wet over the next few days.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yes, I understand it’s much better for sleeping, but daytime temps and more sunshine wouldn’t be a lot to ask for. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Fantastic early Summers day here near the West coast of Scotland.

18 degrees and very light winds - lovely day.

209599AB-A2AF-4613-A444-54EE6D9CA57B.thumb.jpeg.b5f070f87343f25ae3e3e949bff565fb.jpeg

Torrential downpours gathering to my Northwest for the past couple of hours but still sunny overhead/missing my house.

9F7DACA2-4AC5-4C36-8409-D63A59B593DF.thumb.jpeg.d0f2a5177aa764ec7b3aec376910e465.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Average highs here last summer were 24c in June, 28c in July, 24c in August. 24c is an average July here and can't be considered uncomfortable or stifling. Only July really 'hot' out of those. Do people sleep under covers and still complain about being too warm?

If July 2019 doesn't deliver, or at least give us what we would expect in a typical English summer (dry, settled conditions), then I have zero faith in the ability of August to give us anything resembling summer.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

I'm not saying I like it overly wet and cold but last year was too much. It went on for weeks on end. It was boring as much as anything else.

I don't even feel it has been too bad overall recently. We just haven't had the unbearable heat that some people obviously crave.

However, it does look rather wet over the next few days.

Yeah I agree with that. Days have been usable, but my only gripe is we could do with more plus 22c days to get some real warmth, and longer sunny spells.

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

Average highs here last summer were 24c in June, 28c in July, 24c in August. Only July really 'hot' out of those. Do people sleep under covers and still complain about being too warm?

If July 2019 doesn't deliver, or at least give us what we would expect in a typical English summer (dry, settled conditions), then I have zero faith in the ability of August to give us anything resembling summer.

Why should I have to sleep without a cover? Not comfy at all.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Average highs here last summer were 24c in June, 28c in July, 24c in August. Only July really 'hot' out of those. Do people sleep under covers and still complain about being too warm?

Not necessarily. What if August does produce a warm sunny settled spell. A warm and sunny July would help though.

I have a feeling we will get some hefty thunderstorms this summer, with warm or brief hot spells mixed with cool periods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anyone know why this thread's title contains the words 'ramps' and 'chat'?:oldgrin:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not necessarily. What if August does produce a warm sunny settled spell. A warm and sunny July would help though.

I have a feeling we will get some hefty thunderstorms this summer, with warm or brief hot spells mixed with cool periods.

I don't rate August any more. It rarely delivers for a month with almost identical average temperatures and sunshine to July (which usually gives what you expect).

Apart from August 2016, I can't think of a single good one since 2005. 2009, 2013 and 2018 were warm, but too cloudy.

Posted
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

I don't rate August any more. It rarely delivers for a month with almost identical average temperatures and sunshine to July (which usually gives what you expect).

Apart from August 2016, I can't think of a single good one since 2005. 2009, 2013 and 2018 were warm, but too cloudy.

2013 and 18 were good on the back of a decent summer in both years. 2009 was ok, but I do remember some dull and cool days that August. 2016 was probably the best one overall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'm the other way, I don't rate June, nearly always cool and wet, August much warmer due to SW'lys and much warmer seas, regularly makes 20 degrees in August

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Why should I have to sleep without a cover? Not comfy at all.

Haha that’s like saying ‘why should I have to wear a coat when it’s cold’.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'm the other way, I don't rate June, nearly always cool and wet, August much warmer due to SW'lys and much warmer seas, regularly makes 20 degrees in August

Most days in summer are above 20c here anyway, but August is usually cloudy and wet, and in the last decade a whole 1c cooler than the LTA.

June outperformed August in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Proper drenching rains over London now. Much needed. 

That'll help the concrete grow!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Haha that’s like saying ‘why should I have to wear a coat when it’s cold’.

Not the same at all. I can't sleep without a cover. It impacts on my life sleeping without a cover, I very much doubt wearing a coat will prevent anyone going about their daily routine.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not the same at all. I can't sleep without a cover. It impacts on my life sleeping without a cover, I very much doubt wearing a coat will prevent anyone going about their daily routine.

Close the windows during the day and open them at night. Basic procedure in keeping a house cool in summer.

• Like 1