Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Caught some lovely structure last night. Just South of Hailsham, E Sussex, looking toward the coast.

This courtesy of one of my closest friend’s Dad in Eastbourne...crank the sound right up!! Amazing! 3EC4CEA2-31E0-4E40-B801-02CA5200BA65.MP4

In my storm watching spot for the night at Caterham view point on the southern edge of M25?

Posted Images

Just now, ChezWeather said:

People on twitter claiming that the storms over France are currently showing "supercell characteristics". Solely based on what can be seen on radar??

The S word gets thrown around far too much 

To be fair, Essexweather is associated with the Met Office

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, samadamsuk said:

I'm in reading services. Do I drive to bognor regis, gave a swim and watch the storms come over the channel, or do I sit tight ... tough one! I may have an earlier night overall if I get down there... what's everyone's thoughts? 

Go for a swim at Bognor!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

The storm wont stay on that trajectory due to steering  flows as it gets closer to the UK. We see this all the time with storms in France they head north then start heading north east as the get into the channel.

Exactly my thinking! Happens every time......

1 minute ago, Met4Cast said:

To be fair, Essexweather is associated with the Met Office

They're not. That's been discussed before.

So muggy and humid here. Much looking forward to another spectacle. Last weeks storm was simply wonderful. Fairlight Country Park seemed the place to go, but to be fair the view from my front room across the Old Town and towards the sea was the perfect place to watch. Lucky me I know. I am not looking forward to the 6:00am start for work though if the storm does come through. Good luck all, I hope you have some great viewing.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Azazel said:
26 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Looking at the latest lightning output, it appears this storm may be on the split, one portion is heading left, whilst the other is heading straight due N, maybe the tiniest bit of E shift in there. I think this has got London’s name on it! 

Was just thinking this. Seen far too often an area of heavy thundery rain move northerly or even north-westerly and the actual more intense cells shift north-easterly to hit east of London (in other words usually just hit Kent.) 

• Like 1

Made it to Luton. Can see that storms are crashing away over in France and so fingers crossed I will see a storm tonight. I won't stay here but need to decide which way to go.

• Like 6

Interesting on the last couple of radar grabs, the system seems to be expanding quite quickly as it moves into the Channel.  Will it keep its intensity is the question?

1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Interesting on the last couple of radar grabs, the system seems to be expanding quite quickly as it moves into the Channel.  Will it keep its intensity is the question?

Wouldn't the humidity today suggest it will?

Last week's "Sussex n' Kent" storm stayed together and it wasn't even humid!

1 minute ago, Supacell said:

Made it to Luton. Can see that storms are crashing away over in France and so fingers crossed I will see a storm tonight. I won't stay here but need to decide which way to go.

Was thinking Luton may be the sweet spot. Dunstable downs??

1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

Should do, it's all rather elevated so should cross the channel without issue, it's not one of those events where everything goes bang over France and dies as it crosses the channel.

..hopefully.

• Like 2