Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion - March drawing to a close

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Precipitation including snow (white hatches) for the start of April courtesy of the FV3:

anim_imk8.gif

Given the models propensity for overdoing the cold, probably at the snowier end of possibilities.  But maybe the last chance to see a flake or two for many of us.

Edit, you have to click on it.

Edit, maybe you don't, seems to load OK now!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at Hirlam 12z I can just about make out a tiny blob of snow at T+48 hours across southern scotland.I'm green with envy  .don't think I will bother waxing the sled!!:gathering:

HIROPME12_48_50.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening Cold is the outlook.. anything past T+120 is a total waste of time...

• Like 3

Posted

Notwithstanding above post, here's the CFS on June.  Pointless looking at one run of the CFS (it needs to be considered probabilistically), so here's the last 8 Z500 anomalies for June:

image.thumb.jpg.68690137d404db9ba71374af17b53c1a.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5f5cc8056208b4cc44ccb4ae66473abc.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f6439e94216005b8d7dc564193e3c921.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.30bd4b8532bb18cf95dfb4ca14b5cd11.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1b1ce48118af17f17a561980773285ef.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.6f682763245815a798e279df204e5c31.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.f3dec7251fccbe5e443fb1e8a99fab06.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0612331f6c26149f990afd7c731ff395.jpg

This far out, looking very promising for a decent summer, consistent with GloSea5 as far as I can see, maybe an indication that high pressure may dominate but not have it all it's own way as last year - potentially more thunderstorms? Last year was very quiet on thunderstorms in the summer months.  Let's see how things develop as we get closer to summer....

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted

Looking at tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean, the week ahead becomes trough dominated with below average temperatures with a mix of sunshine and April showers and some more persistent rain in places, even cold enough for some hill snow too, perhaps to modest hills but then towards day 10 the trough influence decreases significantly and pressure rises in connection to the scandi height rises, as for the temperatures, they start to rise too..slowly!

EDM1-240.GIF

EDM0-240.GIF

• Like 3

Posted

ICON 18z at T63:

image.thumb.jpg.de292a50d029ad11b0aee5e4ca2f51d3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5d4102334cf3ea53f6afb660b217b7fe.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.6e6aaa9f7d6d3fc45af0946df64e1aee.jpg

Reet northerly plunge...lack of precipitation on the charts, yes, but with the unstable flow, should be some convective element to the precipitation, not likely to be picked up on the global models, await the mighty HIRLAM tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted

Pub run going with the trend to make more of this cold outbreak, here at just T66:

image.thumb.jpg.7ad71f9205c0d70889c6f5544982c8b7.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1911ef2cb3925ed22fac39f435958886.jpg

How much precipitation goes with that we wait to see, but it seems to look more potent with every run at the moment, fascinating to see what actually happens....

• Like 4

Posted

Looking towards Easter the GEFS 00z is very interesting, there's some real eye candy both in terms of southern warmth and northern cold, the duality of spring in all it's glory.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted

Looking further than the short range the ecm continues to indicate the pattern change that has been suggested recently. to whit pressure rising to the N/NE and low pressure to the S/SE with a conduit north west to Canada. Thus the UK in a slack easterly gradient, with little precipitation and temps close to normal, perhaps a tad below/

t156.thumb.png.3906947d34f22c8491ddb22df8530b31.pngt180.thumb.png.1e2f66daf785de29991871757b0bf8ef.pngt204.thumb.png.c096cc62f4b8094034138edbc7ae8661.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Can’t believe it’s April today and it’s not even noon yet.

The real GFS and ECMWF (those runs you guys have seen this morning are fake ), do not show a cold outlook at all this week. It does still have a flow from the North-West and North tomorrow and Wednesday, but the 850 hPa temperatures are around 0*C for the whole U.K. Totally inadequate for showers to be wintry, except over Knockers house, where there will be an isolated cold patch of -10*C hPa’s. The showers will only be light tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday, again with the exception over knocker’s house where he’ll have frequent heavy snow showers. That isolated -10*C hPa patch not moderating over his house until Friday. By the weekend the real GFS and ECMWF show a ginormous European High developing to our East with extremely warm air getting sucked up from the South-East. It will stay very warm (possibly even hot at times) and sunny from the weekend and this will continue for all of next week with that mega powerful European High influencing the whole U.K.

Then, these models show that the European High will pull into the Atlantic and quickly take a big snooze over Greenland with a super cold unstable Northerly breaking through the U.K. 850 hPa temperatures ranging between -10*C to -12*C’s for the the U.K. Trough and disturbances in the flow will generate frequent and, at times, torrential snow showers with everywhere getting a 3cm+ covering. Right towards the end of the runs, the European High comes back. A hot and dry finish for the U.K. A thundery breakdown looming at 384 hours. 

That’s what the weather will be like for the next 2 weeks...

• Like 5

Posted

Not that easy to pin down the changing evolution a the moment although there certainly doesn't seem as if anything untoward is lurking in the woodshed.

Over the last three days the ext EPS has moved gradually to an intensification of the trop vortex over northern Russia with a link to the subsidiary over northern Canada,  At the same time the slack area of high pressure over northern Europe extends north west across the Atlantic to Greenland with the negatively tilted trough still to the south of this in the NW Atlantic with a conduit to the low pressure in southern Europe

Ergo, with the westerly upper flow diverted north and south courtesy of the above,, much inertia in the eastern atlantic with a very slack gradient over the UK. This portends a quiet period of weather with temps around average, perhaps a tad below.

10-15.thumb.png.1213453a96f73209d60a908f9d96e703.png7-12.thumb.png.66021c4500bef09e630454f30a34c08f.png

And last evening's NOAA is in the same ball park

814day_03.thumb.gif.6cfa2e5575a07517fe65778b0efd1e24.gif

• Thanks 1

Posted

Beyond this week's trough dominated and unseasonably cool spell the Ecm 00z ensemble mean improves, less troughy, more ridgy in association with the scandi height rises.. so, signs it will eventually become drier with temperatures slowly recovering further south from approx the weekend / early next week onwards.

EDM1-240.GIF

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Beyond this week's trough dominated and unseasonably cool spell the Ecm 00z ensemble mean improves, less troughy, more ridgy in association with the scandi height rises.. so, signs it will eventually become drier with temperatures slowly recovering further south from approx the weekend / early next week onwards.

EDM1-240.GIF

Imagine having that ensemble mean in january,this place would be buzzing instead of everyone  gone,apart from the posters who stay all year Pointless at this time of year unless you can get exceptionally cold uppers moving down from the NE .I guess their is a chance?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
1 hour ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

ZZZZZzzzzzzz

I’m confused, lol

Sorry, it’s probably me being stupid.

Edit: I just hope you meant that in a jokey way (otherwise I’d admit I would find that insulting).

Edit part 2: Sorry I just get really sensitive sometimes and shouldn’t take things so personally.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Showers for us -- but will it snow in the Azores?:gathering:  image.thumb.png.9e66298f7820e9a575493ab97f438ee5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I get the feeling that we may find ourselves in no-man's-land for a fair old while?

image.thumb.png.4eaaecaf843a93e89eb79a38b083c9a5.png

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I get the feeling that we may find ourselves in no-man's-land for a fair old while?

image.thumb.png.4eaaecaf843a93e89eb79a38b083c9a5.png

I don't mind, light winds and some sunshine = very pleasant

sad smiley alert

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few posts have had to go, Please use the Pm system for anything other than Model Discussion.

Thankyou all, Please continue.

Posted

Certainly the models are pointing toward a drier regime setting-in...but, how warm it'll be is much more in doubt.

image.thumb.png.62f4e71b0bc62abf8d0cbe35d0d622f8.pngimage.thumb.png.22631b4594d7a9df364db3defc0634af.png 

• Like 4

Posted

Stuff high res charts. I like to dream it might snow!!!!

06_36_preciptype.png

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Stuff high res charts. I like to dream it might snow!!!!

06_36_preciptype.png

When the day eventually comes (personally, I don't believe it ever will) when weather-models are 100% accurate, even out to 384 hours, I will most probably be six-feet under; even if I'm not, I'll be neither viewing nor posting in this thread...life will indeed be very boring!:oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted

By Thursday we will have -7/8/9 uppers over the UK with a pretty unstable flow from the NNW.

1567295141_viewimage(61).thumb.png.83dd81a0b06ec5b2c08b4dc33ad2bf92.png106744631_viewimage(62).thumb.png.3f315bc7eb1f6c8180e6f717f82aa010.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

When the day eventually comes (personally, I don't believe it ever will) when weather-models are 100% accurate, even out to 384 hours, I will most probably be six-feet under

That would indeed be a Grave situation Ed

• Like 2