Jump to content

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Northern end of that band will not push much further Eastwards now but the Southern end will continue to swing up from the SW in a North Easterly direction meaning that the band will eventually be

Well today was a great day really after the snow disappointment. It's been very cold, only maxed out at -1.7 on my station so a good ice day. The trees looked brilliant with thick frost on them.

Posted Images

I would agree it is further north as well. It's still very wet here but signs it'll clear in the next couple of hours as it continues to lift slowly north and thin out.

A fair amount of sleet in the rain even at just 100m elevation.

Edited by Onding
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlazeStorm said:

A spec of snow showing South of Sheffield on the radar. And growing in 5 mins!

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 18.45.54.png

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 18.45.54.png

It was snowing 2 hours ago at Ringinglow in Sheffield it will covered at the top.

 

I put up a video on twitter of it.

20191114_162500.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reef said:

Just passed the 25mm mark for today and it's still coming down heavily. We've also topped 100mm for the month so its the first time three consecutive months have had more than 100mm for us since my records began in 1980.

Thanks for your stats, I was wondering where I can find monthly rainfall data for Hull? I found some for Pearson Park going from 1847-1995 but can't find any available data after that. I've been away from Hull for a few weeks now and move south. The weather in parts of Yorkshire has sounded horrific, the UK has been extremely wet from the last third of September to present.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Thanks for your stats, I was wondering where I can find monthly rainfall data for Hull? I found some for Pearson Park going from 1847-1995 but can't find any available data after that. I've been away from Hull for a few weeks now and move south. The weather in parts of Yorkshire has sounded horrific, the UK has been extremely wet from the last third of September to present.

The Pearson Park data goes from 1847-1999. The data isn't available after that unfortunately. The wettest Autumn in that series was 1880 with 359.4mm. In 2019 I've now had 390.6mm this Autumn so I think its probably comfortably the wettest for at least 173 years.

37.4mm now here today, taking us up to 118.8mm this month. That beats the previous wettest in 2000 at 117.0mm so we've now had the wettest September since 1992 and wettest October and November on record. For reference, the 390.6mm of rain this season is 59% of the expected annual average - almost all of which has fallen in the last 54 days!

Edited by reef
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, reef said:

The Pearson Park data goes from 1847-1999. The data isn't available after that unfortunately. The wettest Autumn in that series was 1880 with 359.4mm. In 2019 I've now had 390.6mm this Autumn so I think its probably comfortably the wettest for at least 173 years.

37.4mm now here today, taking us up to 118.8mm this month. That beats the previous wettest in 2000 at 117.0mm so we've now had the wettest September since 1992 and wettest October and November on record. For reference, the 390.6mm of rain this season is 59% of the expected annual average - almost all of which has fallen in the last 54 days!

It's crazy to think that we have beat November 2000's total already. I remember that was my first year at Cottingham high School and the fields started resembling swamps and there was streams of water coming down a few hills where there was muddy footpaths. We really need a period of nice anticyclonic weather to calm things down a bit. So many days we have had low pressure meandering around us now.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

It's crazy to think that we have beat November 2000's total already. I remember that was my first year at Cottingham high School and the fields started resembling swamps and there was streams of water coming down a few hills where there was muddy footpaths. We really need a period of nice anticyclonic weather to calm things down a bit. So many days we have had low pressure meandering around us now.

I've never known a period like it. Summer 2007 was the wettest season I've ever recorded and it 'only' had 353.1mm. We're already almost 40mm clear of that with 16 days of the season to go. The next one down on the list was Autumn 2000, but that had 296.3mm - almost 100mm less than this Autumn!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, reef said:

I've never known a period like it. Summer 2007 was the wettest season I've ever recorded and it 'only' had 353.1mm. We're already almost 40mm clear of that with 16 days of the season to go. The next one down on the list was Autumn 2000, but that had 296.3mm - almost 100mm less than this Autumn!

Nor have I, been here since 1990, nor anywhere else that I have lived although obviously the further back the hazier memories become.

Another 33.6 mm yesterday so the monthly total is 146 mm which is already double the previous highest in 2016

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunny Sheffield on 159.2 mm I made a mistake yesterday where I said the highest was was 214.5 mm which was actually for December. The record for us is 171.4 mm which is easily within reach. For the year we've had 991.8 mm of rain there's only 5 months ahead of it which considering that 4 out of the first 5 months were extremely dry is rather amazing.

So certainly in another year with over a thousand millimetres of rain the 2nd highest is 2000 with 1065.8 mm of rain the highest is 2012 with 1217.7 mm of rain. I think 2012 is probably safe but 2000 I will say is definitely is under threat.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well tonight's GFS are switched from a wet outlook to a dry one. This is very sudden they could well be glitch it's been off to the pub to early. However of course if this is right this is very good news for the flooded areas. They do have a few heavy showers go through tonight and hopefully it's drier sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised on Friday the Derwent at Malton is fairly normal for the time of year.
This is at Old Malton which often has problems partly because a small tributary backs up if the main river is high for too long.
It has been up to the base of the flood bank a week or so back. 
spacer.png

Pump (not running) sends water over the embankment as required.
spacer.png

It draws from this sump-like area which drains naturally to the river when the level is below yellow paint - above that they close the sluice gate and start the pump if it stays higher for long.
spacer.png

The pub and houses across the road are considerably lower than near the camera, and very vulnerable.
spacer.png 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And what a surprise it raining and some of it quite heavy at times another miserable day to look forward to. The band of rain seems very narrow fortunately but this may expand as the day goes on as it does seem to be Prepping up a little bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

And what a surprise it raining and some of it quite heavy at times another miserable day to look forward to.

Yes and to think local TV said Sunday would be dry for me (Mansfield) on Sunday on Friday night!

The rain band has spread and now looks like the rain will last for us

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...