damianslaw

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

Horrible night here again in Leeds gusty winds and heavy rain lashing the windows not what’s needed around. 

Edited by Love Snow

Well the showers have really intensified in Wakefield in the last 2 hours or so, quite squally too. Looking at the radar, there’s plenty more coming from the north west this evening. A filthy horrible night. 

Fairly dry tonight by the looks of things Thursday is the real worry and needs to be kept an eye on.

4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Fairly dry tonight by the looks of things Thursday is the real worry and needs to be kept an eye on.

Indeed it does. WRF-NMM and ICON bring the rain this far north, but ARPEGE keeps it south. GFS somewhere in between but beefs it up more later on Thursday afternoon - it looks quite different to the other three models mentioned.

9.2mm so far this evening 

81.6mm so far this November.

whats everyone else’s  totals so far this Month looking like? 

Edited by Love Snow

5 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

9.2mm so far this evening 

81.6mm so far this November.

whats everyone else totals so far this Month looking like ? 

I'm on 155mm so far this month! Crazy stuff

6 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

I'm on 155mm so far this month! Crazy stuff

That’s mental.

2 minutes ago, Love Snow said:

That’s mental.

Almost double yours isn't it, all down to last Thursday I think!

If I lived in Hull and flooded in 2007 I would be moving everything to safety . I'm sorry so much water has been dumped on you guys .. here in N.I. we are getting off light . I pray you make it to through without needing Noah . b.c.

34 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Almost double yours isn't it, all down to last Thursday I think!

Yeah we got away with it Last Thursday afternoon we had a 4-5 hour slot of just patchy rain. 

A very wet start to the day here had some Torrential Rain lots of surface water about. 

Very wet again here this morning with surface water gathering quickly and saturated ground. Hopefully Thursday's rain will stay far enough south else the swollen rivers will no doubt respond quickly

Well it's now political. Well if we build on flood plains you got to build the houses properly with flooding in mind. It's okay building flood defences but it moves the problem elsewhere and it's clear what they have put in didn't even take the 2007 levels into account which is mind boggling incompetence

Long term with the population growing to unsustainable levels.we'll be forced to build more and more on flood plains so then we need to build houses above the expected flood levels.

Earlier on it seems the rain will push through here pretty quickly.

Not as much as some but 107.8 mm so far; the previous highest in 2016 was 73.0; it is the fourth month this year with over 100 mm. I have records that go back to 1942/3 and that has never happened before.

It seems my last reply got lost.

We've recorded a 100 mm plus 22 times since 1955 in November. Over the years this is the 2nd time we will have recorded hundred millimetre recurring 6 times and that's from 1955 but it's quite common to record several months having a hundred or more millimetres. There is a chance that we will record half of the year's normal rainfall in the autumn alone which is amazing. There's also a small chance that we will record the wettest year ever which is 1217 mm recorded in 2012.

It's is still uncertain how much rain the region will get on Thursday into Friday either way it looks pretty certain we will make a new record for the wettest autumn ever in Sheffield.

3 hours ago, The PIT said:

It seems my last reply got lost.

We've recorded a 100 mm plus 22 times since 1955 in November. Over the years this is the 2nd time we will have recorded hundred millimetre recurring 6 times and that's from 1955 but it's quite common to record several months having a hundred or more millimetres. There is a chance that we will record half of the year's normal rainfall in the autumn alone which is amazing. There's also a small chance that we will record the wettest year ever which is 1217 mm recorded in 2012.

It's is still uncertain how much rain the region will get on Thursday into Friday either way it looks pretty certain we will make a new record for the wettest autumn ever in Sheffield.

Just shows the difference altitude and not many miles can make

Looks like there's the potential for several hours of heavy rain for the region tomorrow afternoon/evening. River levels have fallen substantially but the ground is still very wet, hopefully it won't be too intense.