Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted

Merry Xmas to all.

As confirmed by the met office ,officially a white Xmas here , although amounts are very small

Still more then one could have hoped for

Currently icy,sunny,v slight snow covering on grass and cars

Temp -0.8

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder & wind to create waves

Merry Christmas to all. Just had falling snow in Lincolnshire. 5 miles from the coast and at the vertigo inducing elevation of 30 feet AMSL. Child of the 70s and I think this only third Christmas with falling snow. Had one stonker growing up in Louth must have been late 70s or early 80s. Hope we all get something notable in the next couple of weeks. Off with the kids until 4th Jan so a chance before then. My wife working at Grimsby hospital this pm and tomorrow so best wishes to all the key workers. After that we have a week off together. Let it snow and not just off shore

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Actually found some snow up at fox house not a lot just a slight sprinkling here and there. The air dry so little in the way of visible frost as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Merry Christmas local folks. 
Woke to black ice here .. steady does it !

B.  :ball-santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Merry Christmas all:santa-emoji:

looking out W/NW the ppn is intensifying so we could get some snow showers,they have in the Northwest thread.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
3 hours ago, Snowing offshore said:

Merry Christmas to all. Just had falling snow in Lincolnshire. 5 miles from the coast and at the vertigo inducing elevation of 30 feet AMSL. Child of the 70s and I think this only third Christmas with falling snow. Had one stonker growing up in Louth must have been late 70s or early 80s. Hope we all get something notable in the next couple of weeks. Off with the kids until 4th Jan so a chance before then. My wife working at Grimsby hospital this pm and tomorrow so best wishes to all the key workers. After that we have a week off together. Let it snow and not just off shore

Drove down from Louth to Spilsby to see the Old Man this morning and up over the top I could see some beefy looking showers way over to the east. Hope you enjoy your week off together, she's earned it and then some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder & wind to create waves
49 minutes ago, Just Before Dawn said:

Drove down from Louth to Spilsby to see the Old Man this morning and up over the top I could see some beefy looking showers way over to the east. Hope you enjoy your week off together, she's earned it and then some.

Thank you very much. Hopefully will be a quiet couple of days. Works in theatres and pubs being shut and not a lot of travel might mean there are fewer emergencies than normal. Our snow shower was only light but at least it happened. Lots of showers yesterday but all rain or hail. Was there any lying snow on the wolds?  Merry Christmas to you

Posted
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Merry Christmas all:santa-emoji:

looking out W/NW the ppn is intensifying so we could get some snow showers,they have in the Northwest thread.

Nope not evening making in the moors. Looks like a wait until sunday at least. Most of next week looks dry so it looks only for the lucky few at the mo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
17 minutes ago, Snowing offshore said:

Thank you very much. Hopefully will be a quiet couple of days. Works in theatres and pubs being shut and not a lot of travel might mean there are fewer emergencies than normal. Our snow shower was only light but at least it happened. Lots of showers yesterday but all rain or hail. Was there any lying snow on the wolds?  Merry Christmas to you

No, nothing lying, but some falling - I've not been up on the very tops though. Fingers crossed for the new year.

Posted

GFS may have something of interesting Wednesday as rain moves in the east. It should provide a brief spell of snow before it becomes confined to the peak district as temperatures rise. Amazing amount of settled weather around despite there being low pressure always near by. Frustrating.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
5 hours ago, The PIT said:

GFS may have something of interesting Wednesday as rain moves in the east. It should provide a brief spell of snow before it becomes confined to the peak district as temperatures rise. Amazing amount of settled weather around despite there being low pressure always near by. Frustrating.

Cant see it being dry next week.

Tuesday in particular looks like being a day of frequent showers.  Whether they are wet or white will be another question.

This is the forecast for the Peak District on Tuesday....

Tuesday 29 December

SUNRISE:08:24

SUNSET:15:56

Wintry showers expected to frequent and widespread, snow at most levels, but rain or sleet possible lower down. Bright or clear spells. Moderate or fresh west or northwest winds at height. Freezing at most levels, lifting a little during daylight hours.

Monday night looks like there is potential for a more prolonged period of snow for our area as well.

Either way it will be interesting to see how the next 7-10 days pans out.

I think with your extra altitude you will do quite well for the white stuff ?

Edited by Kentish Snowman in Yorks
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Yesterday morning was rather special on the North York Moors. We were the first ones out running on the old iron stone railway line at Rosedale Abbey around 9am.

Clear blue skies, -2c and around 3 inches of powdery snow at roughly 350m asl. Certainly a Christmas Day morning I wont be forgetting in a hurry.

Meanwhile in the Yorkshire Dales, Keld fell to -5.4c which is the coldest any of my weather stations have fallen to on Christmas Day.

xmasday2020.thumb.jpg.0e7d8667b1355cc1c41c3f0bc8cb8a06.jpgxmasday20201.thumb.jpg.942529eb2976fff0a5aae0cbd97c4ec0.jpgxmasday20202.thumb.jpg.76c474a587bbd6dcb599c4d860729224.jpgxmasday20203.thumb.jpg.fe628692717aa1f8bdd9f0eb34b408e8.jpgxmasday20204.thumb.jpg.5cf89b422c9fd5a85bb7bc4caf1b8ae9.jpgxmasday20205.thumb.jpg.244ad47873837d3b2f2ded0c85200360.jpg

Edited by vizzy2004
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looks like we could see a good few cm’s of snow tomorrow from the latest forecast. Mostly showers but looks like they could form into longer spells of snow if everything falls into place. Plus whatever does fall shouldn’t melt as looks to be getting colder & colder as next  week progresses. Definitely looks like next week could see some fun and games aswell. Could see most of Yorkshire having a good covering on snow by the end of next week. Might even go purchase a sledge tomorrow. Enjoy folks it’s looking very interesting few weeks ahead. 

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, terrier said:

Looks like we could see a good few cm’s of snow tomorrow from the latest forecast. Mostly showers but looks like they could form into longer spells of snow if everything falls into place. Plus whatever does fall shouldn’t melt as looks to be getting colder & colder as next  week progresses. Definitely looks like next week could see some fun and games aswell. Could see most of Yorkshire having a good covering on snow by the end of next week. Might even go purchase a sledge tomorrow. Enjoy folks it’s looking very interesting few weeks ahead. 

I wouldn't be buying a sledge just yet unless you have some high hills around you. I'm optimistic most of us will see some snow falling with perhaps a light covering in places at times but away from ground 200/300m+ there's nothing to suggest appreciable low level snow.. JUST YET.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Latest euro snow model looks very good for our part of the region tomorrow 

Edited by terrier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Sounds like we may see some snow then come Monday ?️

Posted

Fingers crossed settling snow east of the pennines looks smaller but i think there is a rain/snow shower effect when viewing the models you can see the circles of no snow as we hit east sheffield rotherham doncaster and barnsley.

Anywhere 100m+ i think wipl get 5cm minimum

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Fingers crossed settling snow east of the pennines looks smaller but i think there is a rain/snow shower effect when viewing the models you can see the circles of no snow as we hit east sheffield rotherham doncaster and barnsley.

Anywhere 100m+ i think wipl get 5cm minimum

Its 100m here in Barnsley

• Like 1