Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Dull and overcast from dawn till dusk today here in East Lancs. Quite chilly too. Dry in the morning but light rain from mid-afternoon till mid-evening.

• Like 1

Posted

First proper dose of rain in a long while. Bits of rain we have had since mid March have come through the night or very early morning, nice to walk in it thanks to it being light. Tomorrow should bring our first heavy rain since mid March, not too long lasting but expecting a decent intensity, followed by more rain overnight and through much of Thursday. Looking beyond heavy downpours forecast on Friday and more rain Sunday. Will cumulatively help raise river levels many of which are exceptionally low here.

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, damianslaw said:

First proper dose of rain in a long while. Bits of rain we have had since mid March have come through the night or very early morning, nice to walk in it thanks to it being light. Tomorrow should bring our first heavy rain since mid March, not too long lasting but expecting a decent intensity, followed by more rain overnight and through much of Thursday. Looking beyond heavy downpours forecast on Friday and more rain Sunday. Will cumulatively help raise river levels many of which are exceptionally low here.

Really shocked about that considering all the flooding and months of rain we had last Autumn and Winter. I know our region wasn't as badly affected unlike some Winters but I still remember in February seeing the local river not too far from the top and everywhere was just waterlogged.

I know everywhere has dried out a lot but I would have thought the rivers would have taken a while to drop off.

Posted

Cleared up nicely after the rain and grey skies earlier this afternoon. Sunny intervals now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Really shocked about that considering all the flooding and months of rain we had last Autumn and Winter. I know our region wasn't as badly affected unlike some Winters but I still remember in February seeing the local river not too far from the top and everywhere was just waterlogged.

I know everywhere has dried out a lot but I would have thought the rivers would have taken a while to drop off.

Look at environment agency river level monitoring on Gov.uk. currently shows rivers in Cumbria are far lower relative to what normally expect this time of year compared to all other regions except ne England. Some good rainfall maps shown on it about 4 weeks out of last 6 bone dry here. 

Posted

After today and Friday, the next weeks weather doesn't look too bad according to the BBC forecast. Quite a change compared to what it was showing yesterday, when most days next week were forecast for rain, though with warmer temps than we we have right now.

Sunny intervals, highs in the mid teens, not bad for early May.

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Decent day here so far.

plenty of time for our share of showers to arrive but looking at the radar it seems like today is one of those rare occasions where the best weather is east of the M6.

Posted
59 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Decent day here so far.

plenty of time for our share of showers to arrive but looking at the radar it seems like today is one of those rare occasions where the best weather is east of the M6.

Been sunny intervals and breezy this morning (and a bit chilly too) but sky going really dark with big threatening clouds. Well the forecast did say heavy beefy showers this afternoon and looks like it's gonna pour down any second now. Winds are westerly so western areas will get the showers first.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
56 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Been sunny intervals and breezy this morning (and a bit chilly too) but sky going really dark with big threatening clouds. Well the forecast did say heavy beefy showers this afternoon and looks like it's gonna pour down any second now. Winds are westerly so western areas will get the showers first.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I spoke to soon, peeeing it down now but it was good while it lasted.

• Like 2

Posted

Some useful rain over the past 3 days, not a deluge but enough to prevent April from being one of the driest on record - though I suspect finish values will show only about 25% of normal expected amounts, perhaps 33% for around here.

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely peeing it down. ? Chilly, damp and wet over the past three days - typical Lancashire weather.

Posted

Business as usual for today with showers/longer spells of rain - but looks decent from tommorow onwards.

Posted

Sky clearing just as it goes dark lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Had a 30 second Hail shower here earlier(7pm ish)

Posted

Just a few very shortlived sporadic showery showers today, nothing sunstantive but disappointingly cloudy and chilly. Maximum 11 degrees, preety poor for early May. However, over coming days NW England looks one of the favoured spots for highest temps thanks to shelter from the wind and less cloud cover. Sunshine nearly every bit as strong as late July - the very height of summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A northerly of sorts shown on the models. 2 months too late comes to mind. All it will do at this time of year is give cold nights because the strong May sun will quickly out do any cold air aloft during the day. It's not November to March any more.

Anyway I'm hoping to travel soon to see family in the south of France. My son moved to Mont de Marsan 3 years ago. Very nice place but a bit too hot for my liking in Summer hence why we often go in early April for 2 weeks but for obvious reasons no such luck this year.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
28 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

A northerly of sorts shown on the models. 2 months too late comes to mind. All it will do at this time of year is give cold nights because the strong May sun will quickly out do any cold air aloft during the day. It's not November to March any more.

Anyway I'm hoping to travel soon to see family in the south of France. My son moved to Mont de Marsan 3 years ago. Very nice place but a bit too hot for my liking in Summer hence why we often go in early April for 2 weeks but for obvious reasons no such luck this year.

Very cold uppers in May can produce lively convection thanks to temperature differentials with the ever increasingly warmer land. Hail showers often the end result and if cold enough can bring some wet snow to high ground. When the showers arrive temps can take a notable tumble easily down to 5 or 6 degrees. Once the showers clear, the May sun quickly does its work, and temps bounce up a few degrees. If there is a strong wind, such days can feel like mid-winter still.

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day here, clear skies dawn until dusk only the slightest of breeze, temps maxed at 17 degrees but under the may sun felt warmer. Perfect may weather. I love may because it can deliver such days, fresh lime and olive green, bluebells and the browns of last season take on hints of green ready for summer. Does it get any better, no. What a cracking sunset as well. Oh to be in Lakeland on a fine day in may. 

• Like 4

Posted

A short but sweet sunrise here in the Peak District this morning, hoping for a storm or two later on if the forecast is correct and the cap erodes.

DSC_0074.thumb.JPG.4ae898fb714869e54cefae3e6033116f.JPGDSC_0079.thumb.JPG.30cac419da08ece0dffc00d987cc5bce.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Warmest day of the year here now at 22.4°C. It seems the WRF low  max temp forecasts here in the last few days were indeed very pessimistic despite the breeze from the sea. The sea is warming up nicely now anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

Equalled warmest day so far here, 21 degrees, matched on Good Friday, however, it felt warmer than then thanks to a stronger sun.

Marked difference expected tomorrow, from summer to winter, 9 degrees max but with the strong arctic wind feeling much colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Been watching lightning ping on and off over the Pennines for the last hour or so now with some good distant thunder. Quite a few C-G bolts, bright purple and lots of clear C-C bolts. Video to follow.

Edited by mikeofmacc
  • Like 1