Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 Jan 2019 onwards

damianslaw

Posted
16 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Man Airport TAF now indicates the risk of snow showers from tomorrow afternoon 

C.S

Well, tomorrow evening might be best chance of some lovely snow showers ..

Lets see how euro 4 looks this evening..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
7 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Corridor Route - nice and safe - take it you went from Borrowdale?

Good one of Lingmell toward Gable.

No, we went the easy (safe) way up Scafell Pike from Wasdale via Lingmell Col due to potentially severe wind gusts. Had some squally gusts of winds at times accompanied by hail and snow showers which rattled through. Nasty spindrift on top at times. The day before was worse wind wise and so we only made it as far as Styhead Pass on Sat. The majority of people were turning back due to the wind as was impossible to walk against at times.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
14 minutes ago, Dexter said:

No, we went the easy (safe) way up Scafell Pike from Wasdale via Lingmell Col due to potentially severe wind gusts. Had some squally gusts of winds at times accompanied by hail and snow showers which rattled through. Nasty spindrift on top at times. The day before was worse wind wise and so we only made it as far as Styhead Pass on Sat. The majority of people were turning back due to the wind as was impossible to walk against at times.

Good effort all round - even more character building up there today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
13 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Good effort all round - even more character building up there today.

Thanks! Yeah, challenging today for sure. There were some people we met who had gone over the top of Great Gable on Saturday and had to sit down several times because the wind was so bad. Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk when like that because it just takes one violent gust to lift a person up and blow them over the edge to a 1,000 foot or more drop.

Edited by Dexter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Already considering giving up on this week, looks too marginal. Tomorrow night looks like a hopeless case for Merseyside, can only see rain. Will be watching out for lightning which is usually the more exciting thing in these set ups recently. Thursday  Friday and Saturday the wrong side of Marginal  at the moment on GFS.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Already considering giving up on this week, looks too marginal. Tomorrow night looks like a hopeless case for Merseyside, can only see rain.

Ah, the dreaded word; which basically means 'no chance'. ....some things never change.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Already considering giving up on this week, looks too marginal. Tomorrow night looks like a hopeless case for Merseyside, can only see rain. Will be watching out for lightning which is usually the more exciting thing in these set ups recently. Thursday  Friday and Saturday the wrong side of Marginal  at the moment on GFS.

I'm inclined to agree Chris - esp after the number of let downs over recent years which we have all discussed or disgust even .

SSTS should be pretty much at their lowest now late Feb , uppers look around -6/-7 on GFS , so altitude and distance from the irish sea will all help in this set u but hand on heart perhaps snow for the higher elevations?

METO now have a warning for NW England tomorrow night for ice..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Very windy (surprise..surprise) but also very mild. Currently 13c at Hawarden and Liverpool with dew points at 9-10c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Set my alarm for 5am this morning and was heavy sleet/very wet snow so went back to bed. Had a drive over the fell an hour ago and no evidence of any snow which was strange as its about 300M ASL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Woke up to a dusting of snow but was raining when I got up and it's still raining now. What a surprise! More rain, I was never expecting that!

Wettest February I've ever known! Has to be the wettest period of weather since November/December 2015 and the wettest winter since 2015/16. But I think this winter could be even wetter than that!

Was walking out today and everywhere I look it's just flooded and waterlogged. Very few pedestrians outside. The roads are full of massive puddles, the back garden is starting to turn into a small pond and the river that runs through Barrowford doesn't look too far off reaching the top. Wouldn't be surprised to wake up to ducks swimming in my garden tommorow!

We desperately need a dry spell. Can't go out anywhere anymore without getting soaked through or blown away. ?☔

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

swimming

1 hour ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Very windy (surprise..surprise) but also very mild. Currently 13c at Hawarden and Liverpool with dew points at 9-10c

Very mild here too. Currently 10.7°C with 95% humidity. Of course not feeling great in the wind and rain though.

Posted
1 hour ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

Ah, the dreaded word; which basically means 'no chance'. ....some things never change.

3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Already considering giving up on this week, looks too marginal. Tomorrow night looks like a hopeless case for Merseyside, can only see rain. 

Looks very marginal here too. iPhone weather app forecasting snow for almost every day this week and bbc weather app forecasting sleet. However, with maximums of 4/5°C, all we'll probably get is just nasty cold sleety rain or hail, like we did during the previous two cold snaps, with any snow restricted to the small hours when we're all asleep or over the hills.

I've given up on hoping for snow now and I'm just hoping for high pressure and Spring to arrive. We need some warmth and sunshine to dry out all this soaked ground.

• Like 2

Posted

I think my brother in Syracuse, New York is getting fed up of my sending letters to him with little pieces of mud inside them.

I keep enclosing a note with the message ‘dear brother...here is another piece of mud...when you have enough..stand on it and have a holiday in sunny Britain without paying for airfare”!!

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Last drier than average month for the region was last May 

I can believe that. I'm just looking forward to spring and seeing the sun again after months of almost non-stop rain and gloom. April and May have been dry months in recent years so hopefully this April and May will be dry ones.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
23 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looks very marginal here too. iPhone weather app forecasting snow for almost every day this week and bbc weather app forecasting sleet. However, with maximums of 4/5°C, all we'll probably get is just nasty cold sleety rain or hail, like we did during the previous two cold snaps, with any snow restricted to the small hours when we're all asleep or over the hills.

I've given up on hoping for snow now and I'm just hoping for high pressure and Spring to arrive. We need some warmth and sunshine to dry out all this soaked ground.

Just an observation but it can still snow at 5c as long as all the other parameters are ok DP/wet bulb temp/upper air temp

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
23 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Just an observation but it can still snow at 5c as long as all the other parameters are ok DP/wet bulb temp/upper air temp

C.S

Did we have ant snow last night anyone around me? I set my alarm for 4am but just snoozed it haha

Posted
36 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Did we have ant snow last night anyone around me? I set my alarm for 4am but just snoozed it haha

Nope. Lots more unwanted rain though.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Nope. Lots more unwanted rain though.

Madness, the Met were predicting a temp drop of 4C in 2 hours. Unprecedented around these parts, unless we have a really active cold front.

Posted
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

METO text now mentioning snow showers to lower  levels through tomorrow...

Euro4 out in a couple of hours  

Ah the EURO4, the most useless model of all time

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, Chris.R said:

Have to say, as it stands I agree.

• Like 3