Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

4-day's from summer and it's feeling more like autumn just 10.3c at almost 5pm 

:cold:

Funnily enough I remarked about it feeling more like autumn at about 7:30 this evening. Even though it was still 13°C here it felt quite a bit cooler than that and after the last few days of warmish evenings it was a noticeable difference. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Funnily enough I remarked about it feeling more like autumn at about 7:30 this evening. Even though it was still 13°C here it felt quite a bit cooler than that and after the last few days of warmish evenings it was a noticeable difference. 

Yes it’s fresher again. Last week was the first time we had a few proper warm evenings. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Hi Autumn, I think you’ve forgotten that you’re meant to arrive in September!

• Like 3

Posted

When's the last time the UK had frost this late under 1000ft/300m? (Tulloch Bridge is 237m.)

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 05/29/2019 at 10:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Tulloch Bridge (United Kingdom)03047-3.5°C

2Cairngorm (United Kingdom)03065-3.2°C

3Loch Glascarnoch (United Kingdom)03031-3°C

4Aviemore (United Kingdom)03063-1.8°C

5Aboyne (United Kingdom)03080-1.1°C

6Tain Range (United Kingdom)03062-1°C

7Altnaharra (United Kingdom)03044-0.7°C

8Kinloss (United Kingdom)030660.1°C

9Great Dun Fell (United Kingdom)032270.2°C

10Bealach Na Ba No2 (United Kingdom)030390.3°C

11Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)031620.4°C

12Strathallan (United Kingdom)031440.4°C

13West Freugh (United Kingdom)031320.6°C

14Ballypatrick Forest (United Kingdom)039160.8°C

15Redesdale (United Kingdom)032300.8°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Any amateurs got lower?

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Aleman said:

When's the last time the UK had frost this late under 1000ft/300m? (Tulloch Bridge is 237m.)

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 05/29/2019 at 10:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Tulloch Bridge (United Kingdom)03047-3.5°C

2Cairngorm (United Kingdom)03065-3.2°C

3Loch Glascarnoch (United Kingdom)03031-3°C

4Aviemore (United Kingdom)03063-1.8°C

5Aboyne (United Kingdom)03080-1.1°C

6Tain Range (United Kingdom)03062-1°C

7Altnaharra (United Kingdom)03044-0.7°C

8Kinloss (United Kingdom)030660.1°C

9Great Dun Fell (United Kingdom)032270.2°C

10Bealach Na Ba No2 (United Kingdom)030390.3°C

11Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)031620.4°C

12Strathallan (United Kingdom)031440.4°C

13West Freugh (United Kingdom)031320.6°C

14Ballypatrick Forest (United Kingdom)039160.8°C

15Redesdale (United Kingdom)032300.8°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Any amateurs got lower?

most years the UK gets a frost in June

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

As it stands right now, this Spring's overall average temp here, is a touch higher than last years average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The Spring here has been more consistent though. It's been a great Spring in fact. Lot's of sunshine, more than last Spring, by quite some margin.  March rainfall was way above average, April was bang on average, as is May's. All of that combined is illustrated rather well when I look at my plum trees, the branches are all sagging due to so many.

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

The Spring here has been more consistent though. It's been a great Spring in fact. Lot's of sunshine, more than last Spring, by quite some margin.  March rainfall was way above average, April was bang on average, as is May's. All of that combined is illustrated rather well when I look at my plum trees, the branches are all sagging due to so many.

Yes, it does feel like we’ve had more rain and sunnier weather on balance, but cooler weather has been more dominant during much of the spring period, with some warm interludes. 

Do you think this is how the summer will pan out?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well here cooler weather hasn't been dominant here as spring will be 0.5C above average basically average. Rainfall average as well. What cold spells we've had have been short potent and the longer mild spells not mild enough to bring the spring well above normal.

Posted

A mixed Spring overall, with some decent lengthy dry sunny periods at times cancelled out by a very wet March. May has been disappointing temperature wise here with no real warmth to speak of, early May was notably chilly and the month has ended on a chilly note as well. Best weather was around easter - superb timing but alas shortlived.

In the main a forgettable Spring though with little noteworthy weather.

Posted
22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

A mixed Spring overall, with some decent lengthy dry sunny periods at times cancelled out by a very wet March. May has been disappointing temperature wise here with no real warmth to speak of, early May was notably chilly and the month has ended on a chilly note as well. Best weather was around easter - superb timing but alas shortlived.

In the main a forgettable Spring though with little noteworthy weather.

I would agree. We’ve only really had about 2 weeks of decent sunny weather between April and May combined. The few warm sunny days between May 23rd until 25th, and the sunny week of weather a week before that, the long Easter weekend warm sunny spell. That’s been about it really. 

Then throw in a few sunny days here and there, but it’s been noticeably cloudier for longer periods, especially in London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Certainly has been a spring with nothing noteworthy here, can't think of anything worth mentioning really. Maybe they dryness is worth a mention but it hasn't been as dry as some areas have. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Found this Spring one of the best for years personally,hayfever has been nearly nonexistent,good temps for working in; Lots of usable weekends without the discomfort of sweating in heat,hardly had the aircon on. Summer looks to be starting on the same vein so a very happy chap!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

March and April 2019 have been far superior to March/April 2018.

2018 had an absolutely dreadful start to spring, with record cold and extremely cloudiness until late April. March and April 2019 have been warmer with average sunshine, but lacking in warm spells since May.

Posted

For me this May been up there with the worst I've ever experienced (I'm 34), and that includes about 30 living in the UK. Almost unremitting rain, cloud and suppressed temperatures. For Stupava (a few miles from me) 5 days this month have reached 22C (average May high for Bratislava is 21.8C) and rainfall is at 156.7mm (about three times the monthly average). I don't have sunshine statistics but if we've had even half of what we're supposed to get at this time of year I'll be amazed. Quite simply, a dreadful month. Thank heavens it's nearly over.

This was the River Morava last week (it's pretty much the same now):

IMG_20190522_131954.thumb.jpg.dfef8e8d476b16f6e98002b697e139c5.jpg

The Danube is also going like greased lightning, which was probably a big factor in the boat tragedy in Budapest. It probably won't burst its banks though thanks to flood defences.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

For me this May been up there with the worst I've ever experienced (I'm 34), and that includes about 30 living in the UK. Almost unremitting rain, cloud and suppressed temperatures. For Stupava (a few miles from me) 5 days this month have reached 22C (average May high for Bratislava is 21.8C) and rainfall is at 156.7mm (about three times the monthly average). I don't have sunshine statistics but if we've had even half of what we're supposed to get at this time of year I'll be amazed. Quite simply, a dreadful month. Thank heavens it's nearly over.

This was the River Morava last week (it's pretty much the same now):

IMG_20190522_131954.thumb.jpg.dfef8e8d476b16f6e98002b697e139c5.jpg

The Danube is also going like greased lightning, which was probably a big factor in the boat tragedy in Budapest. It probably won't burst its banks though thanks to flood defences.

Much the same, here in Prague. Loads of rain, cloud and cool temperatures have characterised this May. Though the authorities and farmers must be very pleased, there’s been a lot made of the drought worries and lack of groundwater. The countryside is looking very green, for sure. Looks much better for the next 7 days, at least.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
On 29/05/2019 at 14:21, cheeky_monkey said:

most years the UK gets a frost in June

Yes, but that doesn't quite answer the question. I said under 1000 feet/300m. This map suggests that half of years at lower altitudes don't have a frost after the 20th of April, while those over around 2500-3000 feet have frosti into late May and early June 50% of the time.

https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-united-kingdom-last-frost-date-map.php

I might be able to work it out myself if I scroll back through temperature records for a frost prone low-altitude place like Aboyne.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted

Right data from 2005 - last frost for Aboyne

June 7th

May 31st

May 26th

May 21st

May 24th

May 15th

May 31st

June 3rd

May 25th

May 13th

June 4th

May 15th

June 8th

May 18th

May 29th (so far)

So 4 frosts into June out of 15. That sort of answers my question. Clearly the frost on Wednesday was not unusual, except it was a perhaps a touch lower than a typical later than average last frost at -1.1C.  The last ones tend to be above -1C as you might guess.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
4 hours ago, Aleman said:

Right data from 2005 - last frost for Aboyne

June 7th

May 31st

May 26th

May 21st

May 24th

May 15th

May 31st

June 3rd

May 25th

May 13th

June 4th

May 15th

June 8th

May 18th

May 29th (so far)

So 4 frosts into June out of 15. That sort of answers my question. Clearly the frost on Wednesday was not unusual, except it was a perhaps a touch lower than a typical later than average last frost at -1.1C.  The last ones tend to be above -1C as you might guess.

When is the first?

Posted
On 01/06/2019 at 21:06, summer blizzard said:

When is the first?

Since 2004, Aboyne's earliest first frost is 8th September (twice) and the latest is October 28th. There is an honourable mention for a 0.6C on August 25th 2005.