Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Its not just GFS in isolation though Matt- GEFS and EC meanss are trending away from cold..

I didn't base my post on one GFS op-

We'll see, hopefully we will begin to see something more appealing in the coming days..

I understand where your coming from northwest snow, and to be honest the models ain't exactly nailed anything down this winter, but I still feel the eps (etc) are struggling big time with this ever so slow ssw impact, but yehh, here's hoping, wasn't having a pop at you in anyway, as I value your input 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Updated_Weather said:

Seems GFS(p) is stuck? Anyone else?

It always sticks at certain timeframes ....T96 being one, T78 another  ...... might have to wait as long as ten minutes for it to get going again 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted

It looks like there are a lot of opportunities for snow this week or...I've read these forums for a long time but have only been a member for 2 years (and made a handful of posts.) I've just read the last 10 or so pages and to make a summary: We have a low pressure system on Tuesday that may give snow and or rain to most areas of England or Wales, but it may track too far North/South/into France, but don't worry there will be corrections upto t+0. Then we have another low pressure system on Thursday which may again give snow, rain, rain to snow or snow to rain for most of the country. After this, winter is officially over except for the reloads and potential easterly? I don't mean to sound facetious, I love the discussions and seeing the models but what must new people think? It's giving me a headache which I guess, ironically reflects the actual position of the models at the moment...Still opportunities abound. I'm quite excited for some more actual winter weather.

• Like 6

Posted

Slight shift north of the frontal system on Thursday-Friday on the GFS ensembles. Same with the GFSP, though that model is starting from a slightly more southerly starting point. GFSP still going with front edge snow for even the south, but the GFS ensembles are far less keen and concentrate main precip further north.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Arpege 18Z has 10-20mm precipitation for SE by Wednesday morning - but how much will be rain or snow? 

The page showing accums de neige might help?  Don’t bother looking at it ........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
5 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

It looks like there are a lot of opportunities for snow this week or...I've read these forums for a long time but have only been a member for 2 years (and made a handful of posts.) I've just read the last 10 or so pages and to make a summary: We have a low pressure system on Tuesday that may give snow and or rain to most areas of England or Wales, but it may track too far North/South/into France, but don't worry there will be corrections upto t+0. Then we have another low pressure system on Thursday which may again give snow, rain, rain to snow or snow to rain for most of the country. After this, winter is officially over except for the reloads and potential easterly? I don't mean to sound facetious, I love the discussions and seeing the models but what must new people think? It's giving me a headache which I guess, ironically reflects the actual position of the models at the moment...Still opportunities abound. I'm quite excited for some more actual winter weather.

Good Post Mark, its not easy for a newbie, I to go to bed at night with a spinning head, read all the latest data from some of the great posters on here, check the latest met, net weather, weather online, and at the end of the day I'm still no wiser, gorra love it tho ay ayy

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The page showing accums de neige might help?  Don’t bother looking at it ........

My best guess would be that anything in front of the front would be rain/sleet, and the  front itself would be the snow, so its just a case of eyeballing what the front produces.

Decent 18z EURO4, this is probably the model to watch from now on as that is its forte, so to speak, frontal conditions.

Also just to mention more of the models are weakening Tuesday's low as it swings round the base of the upper, that may lead to the frontal system weakening somewhat as it reaches E/Se England.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
9 minutes ago, johnwirral said:

Has it corrected north?

Hard to say as it has only just come into range on the model. I think this band off ppn is pretty much as forecast on GFS, it is just showing it further SE as it is one hour later and perhaps arrives a tad earlier.

gfs-2-48.png?18

Edited by Mucka

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

My best guess would be that anything in front of the front would be rain/sleet, and the  front itself would be the snow, so its just a case of eyeballing what the front produces.

Decent 18z EURO4, this is probably the model to watch from now on as that is its forte, so to speak, frontal conditions.

Theoretically...... Exeter have supposedly better short range higher res products but not sure how we get to see their output away from the automated forecast 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

So we have a mattstoke and now a mattwolves and who knows maybe even a mattsnow this week  

lets just enjoy what this week has in store of course there will be some disappointments but also some very excited people around, let’s not worry about longer term just yet especially after the crap winter we have had so far

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Theoretically...... Exeter have supposedly better short range higher res products but not sure how we get to see their output away from the automated forecast 

Oh yes, I mean its the product we need to watch as we have access to it, as you say they have got higher resolution models, I've seen screenshots of it when severe thunderstorms kick off, the resolution is very impressive to say the least!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

This band of snow returning W/SW from the E/NE on Saturday from thu/Fri front has been showing more and more among GFS ensembles and now prominent of GFSp

gfs-2-138.png?18

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1