Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold hunt - models and chat

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please ensure that the majority of your posts in this thread are model related - a theme of model discussion needs to run throughout.
Some off topic chat and reactions are ok, but please use other, more relevant threads for entirely off-topic chat (such as snow reports, met office forecasts and general chat/moans about the weather or this winter).

For more no banter and just model discussion please head to the new focused model thread - this is also a great place to post (or cross post) your longer model summaries or thoughts around the models.

Posted

I'm taking a relaxed approach to model watching at the moment - given it is a very fluid situation prone to sudden short term developments which makes even semi-reliable forecasting around 120 hr mark a more difficult task than normal. Look at the changes taking place in the orientation of Saturday's low pressure, yesterday forecast to swing SE through the UK, today it is elongating with a more pronounced warm sector - cold air delayed until Sunday away from far north. 

I expect next week to be a carbon copy of sorts to this week - another cold plunge likely perhaps more pronounced than this weeks, but with energy from off the canadian PV lobe still spoiling the party in preventing the azores - arctic high build up.. but importantly unlike this week, we will be in a better position for a slider/trough disruption scenario.

Wedges of heights in the vicinity of Iceland-Norway might be enough to lock us into a sustained cold spell, without the need for robust northern blocking - think January 2013.. not significant cold, but cold enough. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Snowfall possibilities for the south look good on ICON 18z, from T63 through T120, the uppers remain around or colder than -5 at 850hpa so not a bad start!

Problem with that is mate, I’ve seen rain down here with -7/8 uppers from a NW direction, think I’ve only actually seen snow from a NW sourced airflow once or twice, maximum.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

I'm taking a relaxed approach to model watching at the moment - given it is a very fluid situation prone to sudden short term developments which makes even semi-reliable forecasting around 120 hr mark a more difficult task than normal. Look at the changes taking place in the orientation of Saturday's low pressure, yesterday forecast to swing SE through the UK, today it is elongating with a more pronounced warm sector - cold air delayed until Sunday away from far north. 

I agree, there is enough to watch out over the next 5-6 days without getting too stressed about the long term issues. Doesn't mean I'm not watching, but the situation is indeed fluid enough to not get too hung up on each run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
43 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yep, they can be found here:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/ 

Current day 5 score here:

image.thumb.jpg.7eb6e8e905bb9b6f795ae3f3e50d9c6e.jpg

Currently ECM > UKMO > FV3 > GFS > GEM(CMC)

So ukmo has a good record. Winter is not over in my opinion Mike. Seasons seem to be shifting a month, two weeks IMHO. It is just getting going. What do u think on this?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
4 minutes ago, icykev said:

So ukmo has a good record. Winter is not over in my opinion Mike. Seasons seem to be shifting a month, two weeks IMHO. It is just getting going. What do u think on this?

Have to admit I strongly agree with that point.

winter does seem to be later in recent years 

to be honest I feel any snow before February is just a bonus

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good evening peeps

Hope you all are ok and well. Been a bit of a mixed day here in Walthamstow North East London. Started very frosty this morning then cloudy and we had som drrizly bits. Anyway it does make me laugh sometimes when I come in here the number of time the mood swings we encounter during the day. One minute it's boom next it's downgrades then winters over. I know from our hearts ♥️ we want a big freeze and major snow ❄️ but patience will do the trick.

i personally do not take anything serious after 4 days, at the moment we are in a complex weather setup and models are going to encounter swings and turns. To be honest we do not know even now how next week will pan out. Let's just sit back and watch this situation unfold. I am sure something good will come for us, and bearing in mind the met extended forcast is excellent so there is something they know.

Anyway peeps fingers crossed hopefully the frozen winds will be heading this way. Only time will reveal.

the wait for our winter wonderland continues 

wishing you all a lovely evening 

kind regards

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yep, they can be found here:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/ 

Current day 5 score here:

image.thumb.jpg.7eb6e8e905bb9b6f795ae3f3e50d9c6e.jpg

Currently ECM > UKMO > FV3 > GFS > GEM(CMC)

That is the verification on a global scale though

does not mean ecm is best for the uk or any other model for that matter

if it was that easy weather forecasters would be superstars lol

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Night all...Tell Nick Sussex to set his phaser to stun!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
13 minutes ago, icykev said:

A valid point..@Later season winter.

This isnt the place...but earth axis tilt..is a continued science..

And the %degree has imo shifted...

@point 0;5 shift/tilt

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I do agree with you on this one. But to play devils advocate:

Isn't this simply another rehash of what happened last week. Indeed its almost exactly the same with the same models siding the same way as well and we all know how that went, plus climatology of this country would argue that the ECM solution is probably more likely, even withdrawing out the argument about last week.

A little part me thinks the GFS is going to buckle again tomorrow to be honest, just like last week, but equally to act like its a done deal is probably over the top as well!!

Plus the next 5-6 days do hold some interest, not for everyone, but there is enough out to warrant watching, regardless of the models longer term.

Nothing shown by the ECM or GFS is normal for the UK, the jet axis is all wrong and we are usually on the south side of the jet hence our mild climate.

As for devils advocate well I prefer to use this thread to discuss the models with the OTT reaction from the same babies for every bad run

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Night all...Tell Nick Sussex to set his phaser to stun!

You forgot the ing on stun

• Like 2

Posted

February is the switch on the socket 

that is the month the plug will be pulled on that Canadian lobe

untill then enjoy the ride

Good evening peeps 

Hope you all are ok and well. Been a bit of a mixed day here in Walthamstow North East London. Started very frosty this morning then cloudy and we had som drrizly bits. Anyway it does make me laugh sometimes when I come in here the number of time the mood swings we encounter during the day. One minute it's boom next it's downgrades then winters over. I know from our hearts  we want a big freeze and major snow  but patience will do the trick.

i personally do not take anything serious after 4 days, at the moment we are in a complex weather setup and models are going to encounter swings and turns. To be honest we do not know even now how next week will pan out. Let's just sit back and watch this situation unfold. I am sure something good will come for us, and bearing in mind the met extended forcast is excellent so there is something they know.

Anyway peeps fingers crossed hopefully the frozen winds will be heading this way. Only time will reveal.

the wait for our winter wonderland continues 

wishing you all a lovely evening 

kind regards

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

OK, time for the nightly 120 comparisons (GFS 114)

GFS  image.thumb.png.de1baf1be4c65120a45bc6afbf229176.png ECM image.thumb.png.7f063cd506066935da69a5d1f686ffb0.png UKMO image.thumb.png.eaddf4563716476ea19d0729e0a2a074.png

That's pretty decent agreement, I think the key to the run is between now and 144

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1