Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Posted (edited)

Cairngorms have had a good dumping 40cm + still snowing.. Parts of the A9 are shut also.

Screenshot_20190403-095144.thumb.jpg.a9efe59544a28e8496b8ca54a8ac7e07.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

That was some rain this morning, I'd guess at around an inch fell here. Eased off now, replaced by noisy bloody gulls.

Some proper snowy pictures on the SAIS blog today - Northern Cairngorms catching the heaviest falls.

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2019/04/deep-snow-3/

Remember February, when people were wearing T-shirts and driving convertibles! 😀

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Snow line down the A702 and A701 at 300m this evening.

13 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Looking good up there in the Cairngorms this morning, Yellow snow warnings out for the Scottish Boarders.

Screenshot_20190403-073631.thumb.jpg.90ac20e65791f35faf1ea818aabfcb25.jpg

This warning was far too late, it only arrived at 1.30am in the morning, anyone going to bed earlier than that will have thought to expect nothing - what is the point in warnings at such short notice, when the event is happening.

Posted (edited)

I don’t understand why there weren’t (I don’t think) any warnings in place for north and upland north-east Scotland as snow closed two A Roads (the Glenshee and chicken Bridge/Tomintoul roads) today, with much heavier falls than regions further south. It’s almost as if the Met O believes there is nothing but mountain goats north of the central belt.

Note for future reference - a certain place name above Strathdon autocorrects to Chicken Bridge 😀

Edited by Spindrift2017

Posted (edited)

Thunder snow here... in April! 

What a strange winter/spring it's been, enjoying the lightning show though. 

Had it just been that touch colder then it would have been a very interesting night with a large constant stream of precipitation from the east. It's constantly changing between wet snow and sleet. 

IMG_2072.thumb.PNG.0a0bba911cb57c6e61044b6ca7ae043b.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi

Posted (edited)

Torrential sleety pish this morning after some thunder overnight but the Pentlands have seen a fair bit of snow:

pentland_hills.thumb.jpg.8965b7d99e563f6e9f606561232b74b3.jpg

Edited by 101_North

Was 2 huge flashes of lightning around midnight but no thunder. Then heavy rain. Got to go to EdinB today for vitally important stuff (ok hair done) so hope it behaves today and no snow on the A7..

Posted (edited)

Hmm, weather station showing temp as 20c, something not quite right with that! Yesterday was a day from hell right enough, freezing sleet, strong winds and big puddles. Struggled trying to find somewhere to have lunch in Portree yesterday, so after shopping and birthday card hunting we did finally get in somewhere. Not a place I would normally venture into with mediocre service and grub ok, but since the tourists had taken over everywhere else it was all that was left! Silly season has arrived early this year, and not everywhere open, glad I'm one of the great retired now! 😁

Edited by mistyqueen

Just noticed a cm or so of slush around the perimeter of the garden, driveway etc. suggesting we might have had wet snow at some point overnight.

23 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Just noticed a cm or so of slush around the perimeter of the garden, driveway etc. suggesting we might have had wet snow at some point overnight.

Thick wet snow is falling here now, it's never going to come to anything unfortunately.

Not a good outlook for farmers especially livestock ones reliant on grass growing in the spring as although there is rain/sleet here just now the forecast on here for the next two weeks has the potential for a ground frost every night. Some areas of newly sown cereals look like being flooded out too.  Most farmers had eeked out last summers meagre supplies till now but a cold April will put them under a lot of pressure. Currently heavy rain/sleet and 4c

I appear to be located on the southern edge of a lingering front and so grey skies and steady cold drizzle here for the time being.

Yearning for a spell of settled mild weather when I can cast off the winter woollies/blues.

Wet sleety rain on black isle, roads and fields flooded. Broken down vehicles hampering progress. Where the eff have all these camper vans come from?? Get the eff off home yer muppets. 

LOUD rumbles of thunder and VERY gusty winds moving in here and rain just starting.

Yes just had 2 rumbles of thunder here too but no lightning that I could see. 

Seriously heavy hail\rain on here, skies very dark.

pics of the gust front just as it was moving in, precip turned quite wintry at its heaviest with hail/sleet accompanied with further deep rumbles of thunder IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.fde652f50476f3aa5b619fc9bf84fcf2.JPGIMG_1157.thumb.JPG.c8f4bd5223b4beb4024a7ad6241fdeb3.JPGIMG_1158.thumb.JPG.c43095b74c8f6c1b6c8a3ed38ef76eb1.JPGIMG_1159.thumb.JPG.50e37f07ebe420d157f7267fe08b6699.JPGIMG_1160.thumb.JPG.72c42cb29eaf06fe27ffbe941b420d84.JPGIMG_1161.thumb.JPG.b4d3d268aeda599eaaacc38f9176ce3d.JPG

This afternoon the morning dank weather broke and there were some sunny glimpses - resulting in:

278433694_afternoon01.thumb.jpg.93f1a7661cde79e6089b26e29bb8fbbe.jpg

^ I tried to edit the above regarding the rise in temperature over the afternoon, but edits seemed inaccessible  and the original upload remains visible.

If you want to post again C I can delete the two above?

Snowy start at 6.30am then tremendous hail in north Edinburgh around midday. The archetypal April disturbed day.