shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

24 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Nasty day here on the whole. Bright and sunny a lot of the time but with a strong, bitingly cold wind that made it feel much colder than the 8c or so. Then there were the showers, heavy, blustery and turning to sleet or even wet snow at times. Picking son up from Alford around 1pm I watched the car thermometer drop from 8C to 3C in the space of a couple of minutes as a squall hit. 

Exactly the same here full on winter conditions. In spite of this ground was dry enough to absorb the showers allowing us to lift some of the last neeps this afternoon before a bracket on the machine broke.

On a totally different subject noticed some boken surface ice came in on the tide at Longyearbyan Svalbard to give the impression that the sea surface was frozen.Have"nt seen this a lot of times in the last number of years and temperatures there do look fairly cold. 

Currently calmer and sunny here this morning and 6c

Glad you're getting a rest from that constant wind NL.

Cloudier and breezier today and had a odd little burst of drizzle in the wind but other than that nothing (yesterday was a crackerjack of a day) today............not so

Horrible cold wind here, not nice.

I see the automated forecast from the Met Office is as reliable as ever - forecast maximum of 10c today and already it's nearly 12c!

Going to be a lovely mild day by the looks of things - currently variable cloud, light wind and hazy sunshine.  Should stay dry as long as that rain over the Moray Firth keeps drifting due east as it has done so far this morning.

image.thumb.png.b9078ab23ca0ab01e2b83bae653931a4.png

A fair amount of cloud cover here, with occasional bursts of sunshine. At least the chilly wind has dropped. Temp currently 9C and the breeze is a westerly one.

I’m trying to discourage (without much success) the 2ndpair of Jackdaws from nesting in the garage, but haven’t the heart to actually destroy the nest.

Top marks for effort:

JDnest.thumb.jpg.3335e9193080c0b3b030ddb01c2d9284.jpg

Zero for skill:

JDnest2.thumb.jpg.3c1d0fb05489885639a44729b6ad997b.jpg

1 hour ago, ciel said:

A fair amount of cloud cover here, with occasional bursts of sunshine. At least the chilly wind has dropped. Temp currently 9C and the breeze is a westerly one.

I’m trying to discourage (without much success) the 2ndpair of Jackdaws from nesting in the garage, but haven’t the heart to actually destroy the nest.

Top marks for effort:

JDnest.thumb.jpg.3335e9193080c0b3b030ddb01c2d9284.jpg

Zero for skill:

JDnest2.thumb.jpg.3c1d0fb05489885639a44729b6ad997b.jpg

Looks like the jackdaws would make the martin nest unusable and I know which of the 2 I'd favour...

A grey and slightly drizzly morning here. Been outside doing various things and haven't felt inclined to take any of my 4 layers off.

Same here HC, cold and not inviting ootside. Just gone very grey now so rain incoming I think.

Ciel I'm plagued by bloody jackdaws, far too many of them live in the chimneys in this short street. The wee birds can't get a look in when I try to feed them.

1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Ciel I'm plagued by bloody jackdaws,

Maybe one of these would do the trick. Just caught him showing interest in the garage where the Jackdaws enter under the eaves.

Buzz1.thumb.jpg.69e5f79fe40a1aa0379883bef1f3325a.jpg

Managed to hit 15.3c around 1pm, not bad and feeling pleasant outside.

Now very overcast and spits of rain in the wind - was working in the garden and surprised how dry the soil is considering the amount of rain recently.  

Youngest son's a falconer ciel. Just hasn't got a bird at the moment, but I'd love him to get one.

14 hours ago, mardatha said:

Youngest son's a falconer ciel. Just hasn't got a bird at the moment, but I'd love him to get one.

Could he pay us a visit when he gets a bird, to deter the gulls from nesting all round here? Nothing but noise and mess from now till September. Sounds like Brexit!

It's a bright morning here with little wind. The early morning grass frost has gone and I'm hopeful that the temp, at present 8C,  will creep up during the day.

Re the Jackdaw nest, I'm afraid it will have to be a belt and braces approach with a long pole - numerous new sticks have been added this morning!

There has been sporadic heavy showers in the last few hours near Kilmarnock, ...according to the Met office radar. Is this just anaprop or has the area actually had a few sharp ones?? 

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

There has been sporadic heavy showers in the last few hours near Kilmarnock, ...according to the Met office radar. Is this just anaprop or has the area actually had a few sharp ones?? 

I think it’s just wind turbines causing radar interference as there are quite often bright blobs on the radar NE of Kilmarnock even on dry days, in the vicinity of the massive wind farm at Whitelee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitelee_Wind_Farm

Just been woken up by the howling wind which has"nt let up since yesterday which along with an RH of 20% has led to a massive drying up of the ground . Surfaces are just dust everywhere .Started to sow a couple of days ago and we are now sowing into talcum powder quite bizarre. The dust storms were starting yesterday too. Currently 8c

I see it's windy up on top of the hills here NL, treetops waving like mad and also the clouds are flying past. It was quite mild here yesterday, best it's been so far. Weather station isn't very reliable but it shows 10C. I haven't been well but am hoping to poke my nose ootside today to get some fresh air and look at the garden. We have some daffs out now and the wallflower 🙂

Ground still very dry in the East. North of Dundee in the Sidlaws today.

9FCD32D1-61FA-47EF-87D7-9EC8A1EF774C.jpeg

Seems very still this morning, no wind... 10C now and hazy sunshine.

Suddenly down to 2 layers in the sun today which makes a very pleasant change.  I put the bench out on the grass and sat and read for a bit :shok:. I'm forecast for a frost tonight though which will be a surprise if it happens - frost here after March is very rare.

Sat in our motorhome somewhere under the English Channel. On our way to Austria for our final snow fix of the winter, and if forecast is right we should even see some fall mid week. 

In the meantime,pisted this on my Facebook feed to wind some people up...

"Well that's us finally on our drive through France, Belgium and Germany on our way to Austria. Got a bit of a shock after driving off the Eurotunnel train. Heard an unusual knocking sound from the back of the motohome, which we had to pull over and check. We were stunned to find a family (mum, dad and 2 small kids) hiding in the garage. Turns out they were from Glasgow, trying to get to the EU prior to Brexit taking force. Handed them over to the French authorities, and they have claimed political asylum. Gendarme said it is an increasingly frequent occurance that is expected to get worse."

Oh and we're due back in UK on 12th Apr, which could be interesting. I wonder if May will be on 'meaningful vote' 7 by then? 🙄

Stunning day, little wind and full sun. Down to a single shirt until the sun set, at which point it suddenly felt cold.

This   forsythia.thumb.jpg.8436727759fcd51082cebb7a6bb0a21e.jpg    looked wonderful catching the late afternoon sun.

Back to pish tomorrow. Perhaps today was spring 2019.