Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Morning SNAW Hunters! We had another wee covering overnight so we've maybe had about 4-5 cm of snow. WOWSERS! Not. Been a slow winter coming right enough. Never mind, we still have the rest of February to get through! Any of our experts out there have any thoughts on what remains of winter and whether we're likely to see a return of snow and ice? ❄❄

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

My inner child looks at the ECM at +240hrs to see the cold air coming our way though....

The ECM for Monday looks interesting...

6A539EBB-D59F-4A90-9E4E-DB2E1B65A3C0.thumb.png.d44d72cc96a7ce56d0f5ddd0446199a3.png

We can only hope but the way this winter is going it will probably fall as rain or move south and hit England 😅

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, edo said:

The pethshire snow drought continues.... the beautiful picturesque lade is frozen though..... and i seen a bird not seen before just chilling out

20190130_084944.jpg

20190130_085328.jpg

Mr Heron doesn't look too happy with the ice!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stormeh said:

The ECM for Monday looks interesting...

6A539EBB-D59F-4A90-9E4E-DB2E1B65A3C0.thumb.png.d44d72cc96a7ce56d0f5ddd0446199a3.png

We can only hope but the way this winter is going it will probably fall as rain or move south and hit England 😅

Great charts...for western and central parts. I am probably too far east to get much from that.

According to some sources (Met-O and Euro4) I may get some snow tomorrow night into Friday, so there's hope yet. I detect an outbreak of GOS on my part (Grumpy Old Sod), it's amplified up to an 8 now.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Sunrise, the skies have cleared and the temperature has dropped lower.

That's the lowest temp I've seen in quite a while.

20190130_080444.jpg

Wow, it was only -5C when I left the house at 7:30am, and varied between -3 and -6C on the commute. Variable depths of new snow on the way, with a bigger fall in Fochabers (maybe 2-3cm) than at home for a change. 

• Like 6

Chillier overnight with a low of -5.4C. Another snaw flurry, too. Could just about count the individual flakes again. We've missed out during this current spell - so far - but it ain't over yet. A braw and bricht winter's morn. Great to see so many snaw snaps from fellow kilters.  

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Great charts...for western and central parts. I am probably too far east to get much from that.

According to some sources (Met-O and Euro4) I may get some snow tomorrow night into Friday, so there's hope yet. I detect an outbreak of GOS on my part (Grumpy Old Sod), it's amplified up to an 8 now.

Us Easties have a Yellow 'disappointment' warning for Thursday into Friday - backing up the charts you mentioned. 1-3 cms is not the easterly driven snowmageddon we all crave but I'll take anything at this point too 😁 

• Like 1

Been a strange one this don't you think?   Not even so much as a rollercoaster ride for Scotland so far,  which in itself is strange. 

I have surprised myself with my reaction to it too.  Nae toys oot o' ra pram yet!   

06z seems to be stirring the interest of a possible easterly on the MT this morning (again) though.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Mr Heron doesn't look too happy with the ice!

I did not recognise it as a Heron because of how hunched he was.....will throw him some food if he is still there on the way home 🙂

• Like 1

oh and im preparing the toys for launch if I do not soon see some snaw……. may need to head to the glenshee  at this rate

I always promise the kids if the snaw wont come to us we shall go to it

• Like 2

Can someone point me to the charts the latest MetO weather warning is based on, for easterly areas Thu into Fri. I've had a quick scan of the usual models and I just can't see where they are getting snow from. They are the experts though, but their own app has it virtually cloudless and cold at the time, no hint of a snow symbol. 🤔

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Can someone point me to the charts the latest MetO weather warning is based on, for easterly areas Thu into Fri. I've had a quick scan of the usual models and I just can't see where they are getting snow from. They are the experts though, but their own app has it virtually cloudless and cold at the time, no hint of a snow symbol. 🤔

Yes same here. Warning says 1-3cm and covers my area but the daily forecast doesn’t have a single snowflake in it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Wow, it was only -5C when I left the house at 7:30am, and varied between -3 and -6C on the commute. Variable depths of new snow on the way, with a bigger fall in Fochabers (maybe 2-3cm) than at home for a change. 

The picture was taken just before the Whitehouse junction, which is a few minutes away from the house. It's a notorious local cold spot, given its one of the lowest points in the Valley. Once the cold gets in, it's difficult to shift. I think we might see lower temperatures  over night.

Slight improvement form early on this morning:

20190130_104202.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, edo said:

oh and im preparing the toys for launch if I do not soon see some snaw……. may need to head to the glenshee  at this rate

I always promise the kids if the snaw wont come to us we shall go to it

I felt for my kids this morning! My missus opened the curtains and shouted "It's snowed overnight" without correctly assessing the actual conditions on the ground! The kids got dead excited and I'm running back upstairs muttering "Bloody hell dear. It's a wibbleing millimeter deep!" She leaves for work and I'm stuck with 3 kids gutted at the reality of the situation 🤬 🤣😨

• Like 3

The Euro4 has some snow for some eastern parts. Party at (or near) @mardatha's house if this "14" is correct:

3001e4.thumb.jpg.c1e67ad5dbf1db74008089cfa6e6e3ba.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Is your snow coming in from the NE on Thursday night?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Is your snow coming in from the NE on Thursday night?

Yes, it's backwash from the big low down south so it's coming off the North Sea as showers.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 3

Good to see all the snow pictures!

Although I got the lightest dusting in history...it’s not too bad when you can open yer window blinds to this view! 

Beinn Mhòr is on the far right and Sgorach Mor is the far left.

C27D92D0-91B4-47D9-8769-30A36C2C8AE8.jpeg

41BFE3BB-1750-470B-94CD-B27C70250438.png

C5CF8B1C-71F5-48F2-997C-F7BD2C511441.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Hmm, yeah. My phone keeps buzzing with random MO warnings which bear no relation to reality. It's crap.

On the other hand, the French Meteo app is at least fun - users can - and do - upload their weather photos and reports, so it's a good crowdsource. I use it but I think I'm the only Scot that does! (wonder why 🤔)

• Like 4

Same as the others, got the warning for snow, but can't see much on the forecast for the few areas I have looked....

• Like 1

Meanwhile over in the banter thread its been declared that winter is 1st December to 31st February. yes indeed..🤣😂

Further snowfalls last night helped to stop temps dropping below -4.4 at 8pm. Further snow showers spreading down Loch Shin now.

DSC_0367.JPG

DSC_0369.JPG

• Like 9