Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

The last thing I was expecting to wake up to this morning was rain. It was already 1 degree outside when I went to bed and frosty. I got woken up by the lashing rain during the night, and this morning it was pouring down. 

It just doesn't want to snow this winter. The outlook is very grim too. Nothing more this week for edinburgh by the looks of it :( 

• Sad 2

looks like a good supply of showers streaming in from the west https://en.sat24.com/en seems to be a bit more of a NW element to the flow ATM so probably less favourable for any showers to make it very far east p1548783505.gif looks like the wind may go back toward the west later so if the showers keep going a chance of areas further east maybe coming back into play p15488064002912.gif p15488280002912.gif  @Stormeh radar looks good for Glasgow to see something soon 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Ayrshire will be the snow hotspot again tonight - showers seem to come through perfectly aligned for me then at the last minute break up or dive just South! 😂

Hopefully get a wee dusting here later!

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

The caravan site at Cannich has/had Glamping pods and I'm sure it's open all year. Should be cold there too. 

As expected from a westerly flow, nothing more at home overnight other than a frost. It was around -2/3C at 7:30am and pretty much below freezing all the way to Fochabers. 

Nice to see others getting in on the snow action. Been anything 'doon sooth' yet, as I don't dare check the banter thread just in case? 

Coldish at Cannich but above freezing and not very snowy at all. I was there today and was surprised - when the Highlands gets snowy, Cannich is usually one of the best, but not this time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, moffatross said:

The GB & NI ICON 5 day accumulated precipitation chart looks as if someone has selected the 'invert weather' option. Can we have this in the summer please ? 

iconeu_uk1-25-120-0.png?29-16

That's a bad joke when they give snow accumulations on low bits of Islay, coastal Caithness and the Ross of Mull as well as major dumpings on the Black Isle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Frost said:

Looks like Ayrshire will the hotspot again tonight - showers seem to come through perfectly aligned for me then at the last minute break up or dive just South! 😂

Hopefully get a wee dusting here later!

I got my hopes up for here today due to some similarities with last year  - 19th January 2018 archives-2018-1-19-0-0.thumb.png.5d4dd9b4557a16cbbdd2986daa8f5315.png archives-2018-1-19-0-1.thumb.png.086b8c957b4c3896d9ef8eb5a32277c4.png archives-2018-1-19-12-0.thumb.png.3b1a03f9ba3922da333d9464a96e1596.pngarchives-2018-1-19-12-1.thumb.png.3b5f6a472b980a1f20201274d6f9a6ec.pngDSC_0001.thumb.JPG.8cd1d99b5f8b19ab902a086a56daf975.JPGDSC_0003.thumb.JPG.74b16369cfe19c39c5923c10e9217b56.JPG   proving that westerlies can deliver this far east - today gfs-2019012900-0-6.thumb.png.904a13d089691f0408da8912889b18fb.pnggfs-2019012900-1-6.thumb.png.d49371baf332602eddea021ebc164729.pnggfs-2019012912-0-6.thumb.png.d002cde7790722499054c2abd36d6c0b.pnggfs-2019012912-1-6.thumb.png.38dc97e2f473aff8e36a5dccf9922d5d.png   Perhaps that front messed things up this morning being further north and lingering slightly longer that initially modeled or perhaps just bad luck 

just hit bang on freezing 0.0 / -1.1C here so on the way to scenes like this   (be careful everyone)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Further snow showers overnight last night gave a nice fresh top up, today sunny very cold just odd flurries. Took this picture while on dog wander through Balblair Wood near Bonar Bridge looking over Easter Ross and Cairn Salachaidh.  Cracking day

Balblair Wood to Cairn Salachaidh.jpg

• Like 7

My cousin lives in Ontario and she sent me this. They’ve had a lot the last couple days. She’s still away to her work 🤣 

92D8F37B-A7BB-45B9-87C4-C37225CF488A.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Heavy snow shower currently! 

Heavy here too finally lying 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Huntforsnow said:

Heavy here too finally lying 

Didn’t last long - hopefully we get some showers that merge together later for a longer spell of snow. 

Seems to be a bit hit and miss at the minute. 

Light to moderate snow here. Lying on all untreated surfaces.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Couldn't post due to working all day and the snow made it more chaotic, however managed a couple of quick photos, first photo was about 8:30am and the second was about 9:30am by which point a few inches had accumulated. 

IMG_1587.thumb.PNG.7e230641d8e8502eaa6838e4a95e1fdb.PNG

IMG_1586.thumb.PNG.5795de0164d6390ae89cc3301e8c69f6.PNG

The difference between here and where you are never fails to amaze! We got a slight covering from a heavy shower this morning which disappeared during the day.  All the shower activity this evening is either sinking down into Ayrshire or dumping most of the snow over Argyll and fizzling out as it approaches the Glasgow area.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

All the shower activity this evening is either sinking down into Ayrshire or dumping most of the snow over Argyll and fizzling out as it approaches the Glasgow area.

Yes it’s really disappointing, need more of a westerly flow.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

The difference between here and where you are never fails to amaze! We got a slight covering from a heavy shower this morning which disappeared during the day.  All the shower activity this evening is either sinking down into Ayrshire or dumping most of the snow over Argyll and fizzling out as it approaches the Glasgow area.

Aye - all day I have been watching the snow clouds cover the hills/mountains in Argyll just across the water - while at the same time heavy snow showers just miss me by a bawhair to the South!

Hopefully that is no longer the case for the rest of tonight/AM tomorrow. 

I have a cheek to moan though - think about how poor of a snow time @edo, @101_North, @Penicuikblizzard and @edinburgh_1992 are having. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ravelin said:

The caravan site at Cannich has/had Glamping pods and I'm sure it's open all year. Should be cold there too. 

As expected from a westerly flow, nothing more at home overnight other than a frost. It was around -2/3C at 7:30am and pretty much below freezing all the way to Fochabers. 

Nice to see others getting in on the snow action. Been anything 'doon sooth' yet, as I don't dare check the banter thread just in case? 

I’ll look into it.... thanks 😁

27 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Where's that swirl out west going, how's it going to develop and most importantly, will it bring me snow??                           

Yes who has the answer to this?? 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I have a cheek to moan though - think about how poor of a snow time @edo, @101_North, @Penicuikblizzard and @edinburgh_1992 are having. 

add me, @Hawesy @ghoneym to the list too 😂 and @LomondSnowstorm unless he has had some snow wherever he is - come back to us you legend! 😀

4 minutes ago, Huntforsnow said:

Yes who has the answer to this?? 

@Hairy Celt could be in the firing line for some snaw thanks to that front lingering up north  20190129.1642.PPVE89.png 20190129.1718.PPVG89.png  nmmuk3hrprecip.png nmmuk3hrprecip.pngnmmuk3hrprecip.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Kirkcaldy snow shield fully operational 2.6 / 1.6 C InbornBruisedHalibut-max-1mb.gif  good to see the likes of @Blitzen @Benvironment @Snowlover2 getting in on the snowy action (and all of you lot further west too of course) 😀

@ghoneym  what's it like along in costa del Methil same as here id suspect  pish.thumb.jpg.cdf525f3ae65966ad8e7ca7eac1ecc74.jpg 

Were in Leven nowadays but obviously close enough to Methil but just rain here today, I was working at Cowdenbeath and we had quite a decent snow shower this morning for a few hours from 7 to 9, didn't last long and turned to mush by midday 🙄

• Like 2

Snow showers are coming through here (Gourock) more regularly now but not packing a settling punch as yet!

Hopefully a few folk in here are starting to see more snow showers rolling through! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2