Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Posted

Much heavier rain than expected this morning so swimming down the fields again. Very windy this afternoon at 10c so must be helping to dry it up now.

• Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.2k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my life what an awesome snowy day!!! First thing......down to see how the Ballo is freezing over. It's getting there, but even the light snow on West Lomond looked the part: Then home fo

Best snow in years ? 2 1/2 inches before the met office issue a weather warning LOL a light cover at 7am started proper at 9 and still going, just about.

Strange weather here sleety rain and at times snow but general slow thaw before temperatures finally dropping this afternoon with snow setting in. First picture shows plenty of water funnelling down A

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    5 hours ago, mardatha said:

Depressing as hell here today. Wish I could hibernate.

Speaking of hibernating...........Saw a young hedgehog tottering around last night!......What the hell?

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Awh wee soul! Imagine waking up thinking woweee it's summer already yeeehaw -- and then opening yer eyes ?

• Like 5
    Posted

Mild, Drizzly and pish absolute meh hopefully everyone had a good christmas ?

• Like 9
    Posted
    22 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

And so the mild dross continues:

Temperatures for parts of NE Scotland wont fall below 9C over the next 48 hours.

Bizarre!

9C in north-eastern Scotland, meanwhile snow is expected at 300m above sea level in southern Italy... What a strange winter

• Like 6
    Posted

It's like late October out there! Horrible stuff!

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Wow its warm out. only had the heating on for 3 hours from 7am. the stove is on a low rumble and i might be forced into shorts and t-shirt before long. what the f**k is going on with this winter?

• Like 5
    Posted

Dull but dry so far this morning. It was so dark all morning that we  needed lights on in steading to feed /bed  cattle  even at midday. Strong southerly  wind but mild at 12c

• Like 5
    Posted
    1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

what the f**k is going on with this winter?

Not just this winter, but future UK winters.

Climate change.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
    1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

This is Scotland chaps.  If you want snow and ice, head north and east - Scandinavia still gets proper winters, although no doubt the old fogeys there grumble like us.

'When I were a lad, we used to get hunted by packs of wolves on the way to school and had to dig shelters in snow drifts to escape. When the polar bears appeared, we knew we were up lemon creek. Paddles were no use as the ice was too thick to break.'

Ha ha! Too true! My pals in Vest-Agder are dismayed at their 8C and pishing rain as well ? 

This is our tenth winter up here at 900ft and it looks like going down as our first without any lying snow this side of the new year ?

• Like 5
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

This is Scotland chaps.  If you want snow and ice, head north and east - Scandinavia still gets proper winters, although no doubt the old fogeys there grumble like us.

'When I were a lad, we used to get hunted by packs of wolves on the way to school and had to dig shelters in snow drifts to escape. When the polar bears appeared, we knew we were up lemon creek. Paddles were no use as the ice was too thick to break.'

I know this is Scotland, but the current temperatures and outlook are anything but normal - 13-15C in parts of the country. 

If the high pressure settles over us, we could get some temperature inversions with seasonal temperatures at ground level. I think we will end up sandwiched between high pressure to our south and Atlantic systems tracking to the north (mild, windy and occasionally wet). 

Also heading east and north wouldn't help either. Most of the European half of Russia has no snow at the moment, Moscow has been experiencing near record breaking temperatures. It was +9 last week there

Edited by edinburgh_1992
    • Like 2
    Posted

The December 2019 Scrabble hand equivalent.... 

IMG_20191226_185327.jpg

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    1 hour ago, shuggee said:

The December 2019 Scrabble hand equivalent.... 

IMG_20191226_185327.jpg

Icy! 
    Just like it was in November, before Winter started.?

Edited by Norrance
    • Like 8
    Posted

Lol I genuinely didn't see that! Winter. Pffft. 

• Like 3
    Posted

Still 12 c here and this afternoon you could see all the grass fields getting greener. Bulbs are coming trough too.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
    11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Still 12 c here and this afternoon you could see all the grass fields getting greener. Bulbs are coming trough too.

I suppose NL is not that unusual to get those sort of temps in this set up, especially if you trace the isobar flow back to deepest NW Africa and this source of air mass carried through your domain. See West coast of Norway close to double positive digits as well.. Still does not seem right for winter and I am sure its not all good for the farming cycle up there.

C

• Like 3