shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

We had heavy hail showers overnight and then this morning a few snow showers there isn't any snow at low levels here just on top of the hills which is better than what I was expecting I didn't think we would get any snow here at all.

Streamer clouds hugging the firth of forth on the train from Kirkcaldy to EdinburghIMG_20190122_152219.thumb.jpg.4d46ef23d6af86a0c98c7c6d6d85e3e3.jpg

Surprisingly a good inch at work in Newton Stewart. One of the least snowy places, second to Stranraer. 

Only place on the radar that appears to be getting it.

Nice to see although shame it won’t last  

Got about 1cm here. It was quite heavy just after 9am. Glad I wasn’t cycling today. Everything has iced over. Tomorrow’s commute should be interesting.😯

BECD9CEF-7104-410E-8D0F-0253EF8959DA.jpeg

Surprisingly we did see some snow in Edinburgh, even though it didn't settle. Still better than nothing, especially as it wasn't expected. Lasted about an hour, on and off.

Now the sky is completely clear and the wind has died down. 0C, if conditions stay like this tomorrow morning could be very icy. 

That's it for snow here this week, staying cold until Thursday and then up to 9C on Friday 😫exactly when the easterly was supposed to arrive

Very frosty already! Can't remember the last time I'd to scrape the car to go get the kids! Once a day is usually enough 😂

7 hours ago, Huntforsnow said:

Next Tuesday looking good for snow too

If the GFS has this sniffed out it will be rinse and repeat! ❄️

5697A299-F40A-4B1C-B714-9D3B3688F0B5.png

52B38D0C-6CB9-4D12-9CF6-D924E82128B9.png

A5DC2F8C-5361-4B27-A92E-062ADF48B52E.png

22 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

If the GFS has this sniffed out it will be rinse and repeat! ❄️

I'll start containing my excitement now in that case 🤣

Dry and sunny here most of the day, but although it was around freezing this morning I didn't have to scrape the car, surprisingly. No snow falling here as expected, but we're still clinging to what we got last week, although noticeably thinner looking in most places, even on the hills. 

It was - 2C when I got home from work about 5:30pm, so expecting a cold one tonight. 

Edited by Ravelin

2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Dry and sunny here most of the day, but although it was around freezing this morning I didn't have to scrape the car, surprisingly. No snow falling here as expected, but we're still clinging to what we got last week, but noticeably thinner looking in most places, oven on the hills. 

It was - 2C when I got home from work about 5:30pm, so expecting a cold one tonight. 

All our last bits went yesterday. Your oven is presumably helping the thaw :whistling:

6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'll start containing my excitement now in that case 🤣

Going by all models and the Metoffice outlook - only a matter of time before the East gets in on the fun! 

The very same run I quoted does end with this...🎅

1B6F98B2-B811-4F7F-B358-B22EB6985940.png

F7FE28EC-451B-4836-973B-AE2747C35CF4.png

Edited by Mr Frost

Down to -2.1C up here, which already makes it the coldest day of the winter so far for us.

Had to scrape the car leaving work and reached -4 on the way home according to the car. Roads in Inverclyde in particular were sheet ice and glistening in the headlights.

Blyth Bridge to Broughton this evening stunning in the car headlights. White blanket either side of a sometimes slippery A Road. Home to a level 3cm. Winter at last.

Managed to lift some neeps today to top up the store for February.Only by the skin of our teeth as frost had relented quite a bit yesterday but had returned overnight. Ground engaging disc suffered a bit  with several lumps of frozen earth showing three inches of frost. Frost really digging in late in the afternoon so the cost of a new disc is worth it just to have some more feed secured.Currently -2c and falling. Its going to be a cold night.  Heaters turned on in all the vulnerable areas.

We have now had a week of frost and the hills round the Firth are getting whiter by the day so winter has really arrived  and is not in a hurry to leave.

Evening all!

I'm currently stuck in the weeble end of nowhere with terrible internet, which means I’m unable to view images including model runs etc. I’m due to travel to Luss for work tomorrow, can anyone give me a clue as to road conditions and expected weather? Any more snow expected in that area over the next 72 hours?

Cheers, Ed. 

Edited by Right_said_Ed

25 minutes ago, Right_said_Ed said:

Evening all!

I'm currently stuck in the weeble end of nowhere with terrible internet, which means I’m unable to view images including model runs etc. I’m due to travel to Luss for work tomorrow, can anyone give me a clue as to road conditions and expected weather? Any more snow expected in that area over the next 72 hours?

Cheers, Ed. 

Can't vouch for roads first hand, but I'd not expect any problems other than a bit icy overnight maybe. MetO doesn't show any more snow forecast this week for Luss, temps - 2 to 3C,warmer Friday. 

Evening all,

Glorious day in St Andrews, sunny skies. No snow over here of course but I’ll take the sunshine any day! Frosty evening, -2c already. The models continue to show a cold theme in general so it’s the usual waiting and watching game for something of note to impact the majority of us in a reliable timeframe. I think it will come and we’re a patient bunch, right? 😁

Good to see a few snowy scenes, certainly looking more like winter! 

Been out on the lash tongihttttttttttt, all white on the homeward stahger.  Brilliant. scus rhe splling..More of the same pleas e.

A cold one this morning! Currently -5c with a very heavy frost! Lovely stuff 😀

It’s only really a cm or two but we appear to have had more snow overnight than we recieved when we were in the warning area, as is often the case. It’s added some welcome grip and given the tired old snow cover a wee makeover. -6.5c