Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Hasn't washed off any greenfly here HC, I haven't so much got a garden now, more a greenfly farm 😡

I would usually defer to @Northernlightson agricultural matters but I don't think there's much value in bulk greenfly. Even in Johnson's cloud cuckoo sub-atlantic deregulated hell.

Pleasantly warm at cairn stodge services although £3 for a cup of crap coffee is a bit steep... 

Maybe I should try and puree the buggers and spread them on toast. Learn to like them. Might see us through brexit.

No beech trees for @Hairy Celt, just a pigeon on the power line:

20190614_210836.thumb.jpg.4157064134431af6ff97d5a0dddfff2c.jpg

Yesterday's rain is just a memory, it's a lovely evening after a decent day.

Sunny and breezy today just great.But try walking through a field of crop and you realise how wet it has been and as for sowing the wet area in the neep field the water between the drills tells its own story the evening sunshine.

Posted (edited)

Infinitely better day today, though would have been hard to get much worse than yesterday...

Dry (hurray!) and a light to moderate SE wind, turning calm this evening.  Plenty of hazy sunshine during the day, making things feel pleasant outside even though temperature never got above 13.5c here.

Lovely blue skies this evening - the calm conditions are allowing the farmers round here to spray like crazy.

Example of this evening's cloudscape, view looking east...

728790630_LkngEastlowres.thumb.jpg.00d613ffb43ddc2d9571730d62a2cdb0.jpg

Edited by Quinach

Respectable day in Inversneckie with max temperature of 18c going by the car thermometer and some decent spells of sunshine and light winds.

Some showers around Loch Ness this evening and the calm winds are allowing the midgie squadrons to attack with vigour...

loch ness - Copy.jpg

Posted (edited)

Morning all!

Quite a lively couple of days coming up weather wise - risk today and tomorrow of thunderstorms. 

2549D1D5-A395-43AE-9819-B3B8110C892A.thumb.png.6863000c27eb0c39ff32c17ee94c92dc.png

Thought I seen a funnel cloud in the distance yesterday evening but on closer inspection it was just low hanging cloud/scud.

86F24B04-510D-47F7-9682-42F6E3AB3CCE.thumb.jpeg.d449a041ceaacdc485f7394a65f89374.jpeg

As for today - gloomy start here with the passing cruise ship Crystal Serenity.

1A9E4945-E19A-4E32-AD4A-DC40B431C939.thumb.jpeg.6efdbe88147676c05dac084a0ee24cd6.jpeg

Still not much to get excited about for the rest of this month looking at the latest models - no heatwaves or warmth/hot weather on the horizon. (Few average temps/sunny days which I will bank though!)

All the fun/hot weather is over to our East - pretty insane over much of Europe at the moment. (Storms/heat)

Pictures below courtesy of WXCHARTS and Severe Weather Europe Facebook page.

389B8ECD-F9E5-4F87-80DB-4F6E2C7CEFA6.thumb.png.0a0a2e137156672c6d5764be9eb3e23e.png4459FE41-DF02-47EE-BE76-92A71DDE8E9A.thumb.png.9e9e8d774e1c117ab3238f7a52bcb2ec.png

28D29FE4-422F-476F-8BBD-65DE6D30A9BE.thumb.png.40c3cba9ced60e6a12d60262417e0637.png3BE08B78-124D-46B2-BC0E-AD11E22E82CF.thumb.png.caf3236ba2f333b08154eba909470e5d.png

6E444067-2382-4C68-AC64-C8AD6784B500.thumb.png.ac7e8c0719ed86f1c832b72179e66b30.png

Have a good Sunday all! 

Edited by Mr Frost

@Hairy Celt is this better?

20190616_084149.thumb.jpg.71c3556f3650ffa1a36fe5d34e61b242.jpg

It looks likely that we'll have one of those eastern Borders days where it's actually a very decent day but folk will still say the weather's rubbish. The temperature should hit about 19C which is 2C above average and we might get a few showers this afternoon but no deluge. It's already feeling warm if you're sheltered from the breeze.

@CatchMyDrift yes! Dunno how far apart we are - I'm in Kendal for the weekend but definitely no blueness here. Megashowers yesterday followed by 15 mins sun and a bright ish evening, otherwise just grey. Looks like I'm missing or have missed a very brief burst of warmth at home too.

Some of my clan here are contemplating moving north to escape the mop-topped cretin and brexit. What other elements of Balkan politics can we import? Thanks again for wrecking the UK, Dave. 

Decent day yesterday and looks like being a decent day again today. When is the last time we could say that? Shows what a horror show the start of summer has been. 

About this time in 3 weeks we should be crossing on the ferry to France, heading to Carcassonne in the SW, near Toulouse. Forecast high of 25C there for today, and up to 30C mid week. Should be very similar, if not warmer, when we're are there. Looking forward to it. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

@CatchMyDrift yes! Dunno how far apart we are - I'm in Kendal for the weekend but definitely no blueness here. Megashowers yesterday followed by 15 mins sun and a bright ish evening, otherwise just grey. Looks like I'm missing or have missed a very brief burst of warmth at home too.

Some of my clan here are contemplating moving north to escape the mop-topped cretin and brexit. What other elements of Balkan politics can we import? Thanks again for wrecking the UK, Dave. 

This by 11am, June average is 16.9C:

361754103_Screenshot_20190616-112759_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7c4363557e757350289d980586a6ddb2.jpg

According to Google Maps, it's 122 miles by road from here to Kendal. In a straight line maybe about 100 to 105 miles? In a straight line I'm closer to Aberdeen, we're surprisingly far north here.

Brexit has been the slowest of slow motion car crashes but it has to hit the wall and get very crazy at some point.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Decent day yesterday and looks like being a decent day again today. When is the last time we could say that? Shows what a horror show the start of summer has been. 

About this time in 3 weeks we should be crossing on the ferry to France, heading to Carcassonne in the SW, near Toulouse. Forecast high of 25C there for today, and up to 30C mid week. Should be very similar, if not warmer, when we're are there. Looking forward to it. 

Carcassonne can be like an oven, be prepared for extreme heat in July... As in, stay indoors or at least in the shade in the middle of the day. I generally like it hot but Carcassonne can be too much.

Big billowy cumulus now and the promise of some showery action this afternoon. Better than the grey stuff earlier.

I'd give an awful lot to be able to go to Carcassonne, or anywhere else in Roman France. No passport and a husband who won't take me to bloody Oban because it's too far 😡 Enjoy it for me and have a wee drink for me Ravelin!

8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Carcassonne can be like an oven, be prepared for extreme heat in July... As in, stay indoors or at least in the shade in the middle of the day. I generally like it hot but Carcassonne can be too much.

Big billowy cumulus now and the promise of some showery action this afternoon. Better than the grey stuff earlier.

I would agree @Hairy Celt. The medieval citadel is well worth a visit but the surroundings can be an unbearably, hot, dusty ( sometimes windy) coastal plain.

@Ravelin I'm green with envy, and still tossing up whether or not to arrange September in France or a week on the Scottish west coast. :oldlaugh: 

If you are spending some time in that region, maybe take time to see the relatively unvisited Jaur valley, in particular the village of Olargue, and the Espinouse mountains, a little bit north of your destination?

5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

we might get a few showers this afternoon but no deluge

wish I could say the same but have already had 2/3 torrential showers so far and looks like more incoming on the radar, only thing missing has been thunder but I wouldn't be surprised to hear some at some stage today. ⛈️

This thread is most impressive, informative and entertaining c.f. Welsh one! Thanks.

Just jumping in with a ramp, Torro just issued a convective discussion with the (small) risk of some low topped supercells for Western Scotland this evening...

Interesting. I dd hear a big rumble of thunder in the south side of Glasgow at lunch time. What time in the evening are we talking?

2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Interesting. I dd hear a big rumble of thunder in the south side of Glasgow at lunch time. What time in the evening are we talking?

Associated with that lowcoming out of Northern Ireland so maybe 2hrs. It's even more unlikely I'd say now given its all merged together but possible on the edge of the current mess I guess. 

Thanks for the tips about Carcassonne. We're travelling down in the motorhome, booked in for a week at a campsite. After that, if its too hot we'll head somewhere cooler for the second week. The area to the north looks interesting @ciel

Saturday evening walking the puppy:

IMG_20190615_182900.thumb.jpg.22d754677b12f1edc2d88e7c956a7b33.jpg

Ended up quite a decent day.  Sunday AM much the same and then heavy rain Sunday from 1pm.  12 miles away in Peebles was however much more pleasant...