Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
shuggee

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Recommended Posts

Short heavy hail shower and rumbles of thunder in the distance, all cleared up in a few minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's life lesson, never wear flip flops in Scotland, not even in May. Cowered in the car in Tesco for 20 mins avoiding the hailstones. 

DSC_0345.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the storm but got home in time for a few wee rainbows:

20190521_202602.thumb.jpg.9907fec2f3cb10e32ad370c3b51c487b.jpg20190521_202715.thumb.jpg.37497d2eaaabdb7a8a755ab2d1daace9.jpg20190521_203151.thumb.jpg.5167984232604eb90ded1f137b901d28.jpg20190521_203538.thumb.jpg.56a31b649952390c16ac0d0298256149.jpg20190521_203235.thumb.jpg.c4dd0f6ccdce76da7d61a01ff3062477.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just varying sorts of dull wetness for me in Moray and Aberdeenshire. Not really cold though so barely raising complaints among the locals. And a nice sunny evening before the skies are promised to open again tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well in this neck of the woods we can certainly say that we have lost our benign climate in the UK having gone from raging moorland fires and extreme dry to saturated ground in under four days .Its currently  6c too with heavy rain and a north wind .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a glorious start in border country, although it is a little cool in the breeze:

20190522_075606.thumb.jpg.e31f61a1882dd07be6d83e95e56720a6.jpg20190522_075713.thumb.jpg.7051ebb3208e395d648e5b27812e1bad.jpg20190522_075250.thumb.jpg.47378bab4bdfa8f1661b031989f79906.jpg20190522_080342.thumb.jpg.29f9c8202dbe0a28754eb742ea5c3a9e.jpg20190522_080927.thumb.jpg.715b993a1577d85d478f040bd8b7d5cb.jpg20190522_074934.thumb.jpg.17123865f9faca3d97cbf00543c0cc45.jpg

I don't think we're expecting any thunderstorms this afternoon, it's been quite an active couple of days round here if only we could have plenty more (plus some heat).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seems we are about 70% down on numbers of swallows sand martins and swifts round the farm buildings this year so it will be a pretty quiet summer. Normally can"t  put car in old garage at this time of year as it gets into a big mess very quickly but of around 12 nests on the rafters only 2 are occupied this year.Had a very good breeding season last year.

Reading reports that a lot of these birds are being shot and netted on their  way through Africa for the Chinese market or is it  climate change that is impacting them.

Other native birds are still emptying the feeder every day.Too cold for much insect life today.

Edited by Northernlights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are about 50% down here, in fact probably just two pairs.
It seems hard to believe that any method of catching them could have caused such a big drop more or less in one year.
Best not to jump to hasty conclusions, however they do funnel through preferred routes such as the Nile valley so are vulnerable.
Usually by our second cut in August there are dozens swooping round cows and tractors looking for disturbed insects.
There's a barn owl in one of the old cowsheds they usually nest in, I think they won't dare go in there this time as it would eat the chicks for sure
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minging day by New Deer today, home now and it's dry but hasn't been above 12C all day. The garden's looking good though. Spoke to my sister earlier in Cumbria and they're still enjoying summer, and we got a day visitor from Edinburgh who came up in a bikini and suncream - well, not quite but that was the gist of it. The stove's on this evening, first time in 2 weeks.

Certainly I'm not seeing as many house martins or swallows the last couple of days but they do tend to go into hiding at this time if the weather's poor, and then re-appear when it warms up. So I reserve judgement on that one for a few days.  Swifts are uncommon here, we only ever see them passing through.  Also we were by Ness Islands in Inverness a few days ago and there were swarms of martins and swallows there - that was a warm evening, Saturday I think.

Have to say the outlook for the weather is poor. Pfft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A bit of a weather related story .We have a very large  black tom cat  called Senior Mick who about 6 weeks ago went on one of his regular walkabouts disappearing without trace. These happen mostly in long spells of dry weather and end when the weather becomes wet so this morning about 5.00am   I was  woken by this yowling cat. The wanderer has returned absolutely saturated and really starving although he is still in good condition .Right now he is loudly purring at the feed bowl.  I think this does not augur well for the weather in the near future

Very wet again this morning and currently 9c

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take the cat model over the Met Office any time !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's another fairly bland weather day, bits of sun, breezy, warm in the sun but cold in the breeze. Here's the Blackadder as it flows east away from Greenlaw:

20190523_102516.thumb.jpg.921a6c57948faa2c72e3367f9731e13c.jpg

I hope everyone's been and voted, not going to get into a political discussion but at the very least everyone get out and vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Minging day by New Deer today, home now and it's dry but hasn't been above 12C all day. The garden's looking good though. Spoke to my sister earlier in Cumbria and they're still enjoying summer, and we got a day visitor from Edinburgh who came up in a bikini and suncream - well, not quite but that was the gist of it. The stove's on this evening, first time in 2 weeks.

Certainly I'm not seeing as many house martins or swallows the last couple of days but they do tend to go into hiding at this time if the weather's poor, and then re-appear when it warms up. So I reserve judgement on that one for a few days.  Swifts are uncommon here, we only ever see them passing through.  Also we were by Ness Islands in Inverness a few days ago and there were swarms of martins and swallows there - that was a warm evening, Saturday I think.

Have to say the outlook for the weather is poor. Pfft.

Aye HC, it looks like we have descended in to the auld boak enducing North / South divide!

This week they have been enjoying 21-24 Deg C doon the Sooth East and it's taken for granted and no headline news, unless it's the High 20's tae Mid 30's Deg c!!!     

Big Vomiting Innes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Aye HC, it looks like we have descended in to the auld boak enducing North / South divide!

This week they have been enjoying 21-24 Deg C doon the Sooth East and it's taken for granted and no headline news, unless it's the High 20's tae Mid 30's Deg c!!!     

Big Vomiting Innes

I'd have another look at the latest models, the northerly incursion isn't as strong as previously suggested and the 06Z GFS quickly builds high pressure over us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2019 at 08:54, Northernlights said:

Other native birds are still emptying the feeder every day.

A typical late spring day here; temps around 13C, breezy, occasionally threatening rain. 

A couple of usually less frequent visitors to the feeders, but now regulars.

Sis.thumb.jpg.b5c84e5837654da9121d514bcc4eb3da.jpg.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sun came through at times here from late morning raising the temp to 17.2C. Feeling warm but now clouded over again.

My bird feeders are also emptying quicker than even during last Winter. Only the peanut feeder which take longer to eat still has food left by the afternoon. Sparrows and tits are very active, presumably feeding young. Unusually I have not seen any swallows or martins locally at all this Spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We've got a couple of pairs of swallows that's all.

NL the husband wants me to ask you - is it true that cows lie down when it's going to rain?😀

Edited by mardatha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of pretty dismal days, especially yesterday as it defied the forecast to rain heavily most of the day. On a positive I'm not going to need to water the garden for a while, which partially makes up for getting soaked and cold as I was out in the rain for several hours. Today was at least mainly dry, but 100% cloud cover. 

At this point I'd happily take a sunny mid teens..... Please! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ravelin said:

A couple of pretty dismal days, especially yesterday as it defied the forecast to rain heavily most of the day. On a positive I'm not going to need to water the garden for a while, which partially makes up for getting soaked and cold as I was out in the rain for several hours. Today was at least mainly dry, but 100% cloud cover. 

At this point I'd happily take a sunny mid teens..... Please! 

By the sounds of it I've been lucky with the weather down here. I thought it had been fairly bland but I stand corrected 😀 we've had some lovely weather in comparison to you.

It looks like today will be similar to yesterday here with the only negative being a cool breeze. It's a cool but sunny start looking out towards Harden's Hill near Duns:

20190524_054836.thumb.jpg.be37bc08f3dc5d8f55757756c1414dc2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's turned out fairly warm in some parts of Scotland today, mostly east coast type areas:

1269942199_Screenshot_20190524-154604_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b5cf8b50051c6b6fedf39b9358180196.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was lovely here. Well, still is. 😎😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant grumble at today's weather lots of sun a little cloud but nothing major strongly suspect this is as good as it gonna get through this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's turned out fairly warm in some parts of Scotland today, mostly east coast type areas:

1269942199_Screenshot_20190524-154604_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b5cf8b50051c6b6fedf39b9358180196.jpg

Certainly warm enough here to have my top off cutting the grass in the sunshine this afternoon. My w.s had a max of 18.5C though I see Dundee Riverside reported 19C. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely evening.

 

IMG_20190523_204419.jpg

16.1°C max here. Perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here comes the rain, for some parts it'll be very welcome.

Euro4 up to +48hrs:

19052700_2500.thumb.jpg.59cee4cdbb21994296f238ae7a1beb4b.jpg

GFS up to +72hrs:

19052800_2500.thumb.jpg.917fd6b212ddc561e2e947868920dea0.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...