Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Weather Discussion 2019

Similar here. 20.3C on my weather station and sunny all day with just a few wispy fair weather clouds. Just finished a lovely cold cider on ice having cut the grass and widened the border this afternoon.

787A1836-19D7-4EDC-BAF8-E6B61CBEFB45.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my life what an awesome snowy day!!! First thing......down to see how the Ballo is freezing over. It's getting there, but even the light snow on West Lomond looked the part: Then home fo

Best snow in years ? 2 1/2 inches before the met office issue a weather warning LOL a light cover at 7am started proper at 9 and still going, just about.

Strange weather here sleety rain and at times snow but general slow thaw before temperatures finally dropping this afternoon with snow setting in. First picture shows plenty of water funnelling down A

Posted Images

Fabulous day again growth really taking off. A reasonable number of swallows and sand martins here now busy nest refurbishing. Also the first pair of swifts arrived at the farmhouse so high summer is here as they scream round the house in the late evening.

• Like 6

Lovely day again, max of 21c accompanied by light winds and bountiful hazy sunshine.

Thought it would be a good day to wash the car but ended up a waste of time.  No sooner washed then its covered in yellow rapeseed pollen - amazing how much has accumulated considering that the nearest field of the stuff is about a mile away.  Just as well the hayfever is only triggered by grass pollen!

• Like 5

I miss swifts, we had them in the last village but there are none here. Quinach, the husband been moaning his face off about Saharan sand on his car - so it's just pollen instead? Don't know where the nearest field of that stuff is to here though. No jist as exotic is it ?

• Like 2

High summer again today currently 19c with a bit of a sea breeze. R.H.  of 25% too.

Mrs Northernlights retired at at the of March after 38 years teaching and has been working in the garden a lot ,weed control very easy with the very dry surface. Told her its not always so easy to keep clean.

However the extremely dry conditions are starting to slow grass growth domestic grasses will not need cutting again until we get some  rain. and the farm is just like a dust bowl every movement of a tractor raises clouds of dust.

And the wild fire risk is rising fast again    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-48280002

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

lovely day again slightly cooler ATM due to a slight breeze. Small risk of a shower / storm developing later this evening CAPE values only around a couple of hundred at most, maybe a slight bit of a convergence zone @mardatha you could be in a prime spot if anything does develop 9-590UK.GIF?15-6  12-590UK.GIF?15-6 15-590UK.GIF?15-6  9-602UK.GIF?15-6  rest of the models either have weak precip or nothing at all so only an outside chance (5-15% for me) but could be worth keeping one eye on the radar as due to the heat of the day you never know.

@Northernlights hopefully some rain for up your way on Saturday / Sunday ? 69-574UK.GIF?15-6   anim_dvn2.gif anim_ute4.gif

• Like 5

Currently 21 degrees with barely a breeze -  glorious stuff! ☀️

My son is away with his gran for a couple of days, girlfriend is at work and I am out on a wee local hike and don’t return to work until Monday. 

4AF35318-7496-4460-9420-CF3932828736.thumb.jpeg.b8983b32552c30378dc5f3e1e0ac5e61.jpeg

Life is good! (I am easily pleased! ?)

Have a good one! ?

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Kirkcaldy Weather yes, just been saying to the husband it's gone hazy and a wee bit strange, looks like it does when it's going to do something. Well it can just go and do something on top of somebody else then!

• Like 2

Tiny bits of cloud just starting to develop here maybe just odd little bumpy showers starting to brew? If anything does it won't be very much

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

lovely day again slightly cooler ATM due to a slight breeze. Small risk of a shower / storm developing later this evening CAPE values only around a couple of hundred at most, maybe a slight bit of a convergence zone @mardatha you could be in a prime spot if anything does develop 9-590UK.GIF?15-6  12-590UK.GIF?15-6 15-590UK.GIF?15-6  9-602UK.GIF?15-6  rest of the models either have weak precip or nothing at all so only an outside chance (5-15% for me) but could be worth keeping one eye on the radar as due to the heat of the day you never know.

@Northernlights hopefully some rain for up your way on Saturday / Sunday ? 69-574UK.GIF?15-6   anim_dvn2.gif anim_ute4.gif

Just updated forecast for my postcode has lost all the rain that was predicted  for the weekend just 6 hours ago.  Its the story of the last year when ever rain is forecast say 4 days away by the time we are two days nearer it disappears on the forecast.

• Like 4

Did get cloudier but no showers in the end. 24 though not bad at all! (Just hope this isn't the warmest we get all year) has happened before

• Like 3

A slightly cooler day here today due to a much stronger cooling SE breeze - max of 19.5c.

Plenty sunshine though so feeling very warm.

Well, King George II described the English summer as three fine days and a thunderstorm.  Here in NE Scotland, its three fine days and Haar; came rolling in here around 8pm making for a very atmospheric sunset.  Rapid drop in temperature accompanying the fog - 14c down to 8.8c in just an hour.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

Only real difference with today's weather more breeze which was expected but still lovely jubbly out there

• Like 5

A very similar looking day here compared with yesterday. However step out of the sun and there is a noticeable difference. It is nearly 7C colder than the same time yesterday and today’s breeze has an edge to it in the shade.

All still good though.

EFDED8C7-3F36-4100-9F1C-78A9F8003445.jpeg

• Like 7

Fabulous day again but with a fresh to strong SE wind at 18c and 25% RH .This has just reignited the fire to the SE of us at Knockando so the smoke looks very ominous against the backround of a very blue cloudless sky. This is going to be a long summer if it stays dry.

Have to say in nearly 60 years  here I have never seen such large wildfires or them starting up again after being subdued.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fabulous day again but with a fresh to strong SE wind at 18c and 25% RH .This has just reignited the fire to the SE of us at Knockando so the smoke looks very ominous against the backround of a very blue cloudless sky. This is going to be a long summer if it stays dry.

Have to say in nearly 60 years  here I have never seen such large wildfires or them starting up again after being subdued.

A few photos of the fire just now   which is about 15 to 20 miles SE of us001.thumb.JPG.0c535d9117e1176c002cc8cd74df3792.JPG002.thumb.JPG.b6a31bb5db4b5fc685390a9be31a2358.JPG003.thumb.JPG.cfd20d99a4d0c7e77b1676ca7f19ede0.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We're heading home tomorrow after a cracking week at Loch Lomond. The weather has been unbelievable, sunny and hot every day. I've got a tan which says Spain rather than western Scotland.

Everywhere we've gone has been very dry. I don't know what the river is called where we were today but it was a mere trickle in a gorge which tells me it's usually much more full than this. It was a place called Sutherland's Grove at Barcaldine just north of Connel:

20190516_153936.thumb.jpg.0b625dc51a7465c55af6955be8dfbc5b.jpg20190516_153950.thumb.jpg.35bfc226bada3ddb94416fe300faf028.jpg20190516_155355.thumb.jpg.05133f1e46f6808e4f76fb57593d2d79.jpg20190516_155038.thumb.jpg.4ed8d3bbbb279fe39218ca6926aeaad3.jpg20190516_155244.thumb.jpg.81a097b22e5e72ca4b0534e3093943de.jpg20190516_155116.thumb.jpg.5e5f9da5720536d5ae65014204c22ab8.jpg

• Like 7

Well that was nice while it lasted! Three days of sun and warmth but back to some sun and no warmth tomorrow.  The garden looks very green, as do all the trees apart from the ash and the dead elms. 

I've been over inland from Peterhead on and off recently (for work) - crikey, the land time forgot.  Roads that go nowhere, and no roads to get you where you want.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I stayed in that hotel next to Peterhead power station once. A time I try to forget.

I worked in Peterhead for almost a year around 30 years ago when the second phase of the St Fergus gas terminal was being built. The town was often like the Wild West at night. Weatherwise all I remember was a very windy and mild Winter followed by snow falling in Spring and loads of haar in Summer while 10 miles inland in Mintlaw it was roasting.

• Like 4

Have to correct myself on location of the fire as can still see smoke to east out of bathroom window agaist the rising dawn sky.Its nearer than I thought  at Dunphail which is just 5 to 6 miles away and seems to be a completely new fire.

• Like 3

One more nice day..............why not ;) Breezier probably than yesterday but still lovely. Not going to be like this tomorrow

• Like 3