Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Paul

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Recommended Posts

Another dull day ahead . Nov/ Dec 2018 have been as interesting weather wise as watching paint dry. Totally forgettable and ruining somewhat what was an interesting year wrt the weather overall. I recorded colder minimums in Oct  (couple  of air frosts) this yr then dec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sundog said:

Another dull day ahead . Nov/ Dec 2018 have been as interesting weather wise as watching paint dry. Totally forgettable and ruining somewhat what was an interesting year wrt the weather overall. I recorded colder minimums in Oct  (couple  of air frosts) this yr then dec.

Agreed! The only saving grace here in November was the spell of thunderstorms in the 10th and 12th, and that beautiful sunny weekend a week later. Other than that, trash!  It makes average December weather look cold...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing to think that the bizarre month of Dec 2015 was 3c warmer than this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, .jay said:

There was a bit of a slack easterly component for some eastern areas 1st half of this month.  Maybe that's 'distorted' the averages a bit. 

(PS I would also say Dec 2015 was 3 degrees more interesting)

Terrible month for flooding though, glad there's nothing like it this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

GFS 06Z looks fantastic!   :cold:

If you live in Lithuania, Belarus or Ukraine!  😡

Looking Baltic.... In the Baltics 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very dreary December here, November wasn’t much better, either. At least no damaging gales, thankfully but it would be nice to at least have some frosts, fogs and sunshine. Plenty of time for cold, am not worried. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow amongst this dull, mild December, Christmas Day this year was the first for a while that the temperature didn’t reach double figures. Maybe that just shows how bad a lot of Decembers have been lately. 

Still seems unlikely I’ll even see a frost this month let alone anything remotely cold.

Edited by matt111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

whatever happened to cold and frosty highs in a winter,with frost lingering all day?

they have gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

they have gone

Yep! I mentioned that the other day...we get so few days with fairly persisting frosts it's untrue. Xmas morning so far this late Autumn/Winter has been the highlight with minima just below freezing and the first slight ice I've seen on puddles, this was a regular feature even in Novembers back in the mid 90's and further back, all we seem to get now days is dull, damp/wet interspersed with brighter conditions and largely mild.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

whatever happened to cold and frosty highs in a winter,with frost lingering all day?

Just in thelast week we had three days with air frosts including an ice day on Christmas Eve. A further three days had grass frosts with ice on car windscreens etc. 

Not like that today though. Sunny at +7C. A big improvement on the gloomy damp mild Boxing day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Norrance said:

Just in thelast week we had three days with air frosts including an ice day on Christmas Eve. A further three days had grass frosts with ice on car windscreens etc. 

Not like that today though. Sunny at +7C. A big improvement on the gloomy damp mild Boxing day.

This is one of the most frost-free Decembers I can remember, really poor in the south.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

they have gone

I wouldn't say there are gone, but they are becoming quite rare for sure ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

This is one of the most frost-free Decembers I can remember, really poor in the south.

I live in South Manchester and I've had one or two. It's been pitiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If weather could be compared to food this spell would be a boiled potato without even butter to slightly deblandify it. I feel part of my soul draining away every time I look at the forecast and see the same mind-numbing nothingness.

If anyone has any ideas other than attempted hibernation I'm all ears. I tried thinking of November/December 2015 to remind me how worse things could be but that just made me feel queasy - good grief what a ghastly period that was. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

If weather could be compared to food this spell would be a boiled potato without even butter to slightly deblandify it. I feel part of my soul draining away every time I look at the forecast and see the same mind-numbing nothingness.

If anyone has any ideas other than attempted hibernation I'm all ears. I tried thinking of November/December 2015 to remind me how worse things could be but that just made me feel queasy - good grief what a ghastly period that was. 

At least December 2015 was interesting because of how ridiculously warm it was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

At least December 2015 was interesting because of how ridiculously warm it was!

I bet there was more sun then too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking at archives for Dec '15, meteociel, seems repeat of this year, for here anyway, not a flake of snow, very few frosts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I bet there was more sun then too. 

image.thumb.png.0b30760e5c037b2a360b851dc047ff04.png

Was pretty poor for most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

image.thumb.png.0b30760e5c037b2a360b851dc047ff04.png

Was pretty poor for most.

It’ll be interesting to see how that compares to this December then as I’ve hardly seen the sun here. Then again it’s a bit ironic me posting this when the suns shining outside right now 😆 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to think if we ever had a winter of no snow after snow has fallen in October and November in the previous autumn. This winter is certainly heading that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

whatever happened to cold and frosty highs in a winter,with frost lingering all day?

Had one the other day the 24th. Frost lasted all day only to melt overnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had it on December 4th. The low had been -1.8C and the high was 2.7C. (It was the day the Met Office recorded Linton-on-Ouse at -3.5C and Topcliffe at -6.1C.) The bird bath had 10mm of ice and the frost lasted all day, though only in shaded areas. Sunny areas lasted until after lunch.

Edited by Aleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...