Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter weather chat, moans, banter and ramps

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Should have named it the argument thread, because that’s what it’ll eventually turn into lol

Posted

I'm going to jump in with a light-hearted question before the onslaught of moans, what are the things people like most about snowy weather?  As a child of the 80's living in a snowy sweet spot in the east of Ireland I've a good few memories to draw from, beasts, stalled fronts etc etc. 

For me when there's fresh lying snow with snow falling at a medium rate and light winds there's no better feeling.  Your senses take a hit from the dichotomy of the dulled sky mixed with the brilliant white sheen from the snow.  The way the acoustics are distorted, absorbed or cushioned if you like by the pack (a dog barking in the distance giving that strange echo effect is one of my favs).  I could and have walked in it for hours just soaking up the experience, the fact it's so rare in these parts is what makes it so special.

• Like 1

Posted

Finally!! I can realease !! 

Two possibilities:

Scenerio 1 = The bods are right and the charts will suddenly introduce colder scenerios in January due to the so called 'SSW', and the charts at the moment just can't calculate this at the moment! We end up with some really decent set ups. This wouldn't surprise me at all as its happened before. Read this retrospect for 1987: https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=libgen&id=1503  

Scenerio 2 = The bods have been over-egging the SSW and in fact we end up with a South/South Westerly hair dryer stuck on full speed for January, with an early spring in February and ruining coldies chances of a proper snowy spell!! 

So a good reason for people to be moaning - the charts are currently going for scenerio 2 (a dire scenerio but at least it'll be warm and mostly frost free!), but weren't the winters of 76/87 similar ie pre-xmas it was mild then bang and the country was gripped in an epic freeze??

Hmmm.... Still all to play for in my view! Best advise:  Ignore the charts for the next week or so... open them again on 1st Jan!! 

Posted

RAIN, RAIN AND MORE RAIN!!

An absolutely vile December round my neck of the woods, just about to do christmas shopping and instead of ordering a taxi i might need to order a flutin canoe!!

Ahhhh thats better , now thats off my chest 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted

Perhaps we should ban all model charts beyond T+120 hours. We could then go back to the 70-80's and actually watch weather forecasts from professionals. Probably not believing them anyway and happy to lamp post watch. Mind you with the 'new' lamps many councils use even that pleasure/obsession is no longer as much fun.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Opened this thread up just in time...some of the worst FI output for a few months now showing just as we enter winter proper with that dreaded SW/NE jet revving up, you couldn't make it up! (I swear I say something like this practically every winter).

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted

I know let's all just throw the background signals in the bin shall we? My god how often do fi charts come true!? Talk about negativity! Personally looking at all the information at hand were on the brink of a very special winter developing! About time people stop looking at FAKE fi charts and get to grips! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Well if here "trop-led, strat and background signals I may implode!!! I actually think the mfi and b+q will impact the whole nhp and destroy the PV.look around the 23rd January 7-15pm

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, Matty88 said:

Finally!! I can realease !! 

Two possibilities:

Scenerio 1 = The bods are right and the charts will suddenly introduce colder scenerios in January due to the so called 'SSW', and the charts at the moment just can't calculate this at the moment! We end up with some really decent set ups. This wouldn't surprise me at all as its happened before. Read this retrospect for 1987: https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=libgen&id=1503  

Scenerio 2 = The bods have been over-egging the SSW and in fact we end up with a South/South Westerly hair dryer stuck on full speed for January, with an early spring in February and ruining coldies chances of a proper snowy spell!! 

So a good reason for people to be moaning - the charts are currently going for scenerio 2 (a dire scenerio but at least it'll be warm and mostly frost free!), but weren't the winters of 76/87 similar ie pre-xmas it was mild then bang and the country was gripped in an epic freeze??

Hmmm.... Still all to play for in my view! Best advise:  Ignore the charts for the next week or so... open them again on 1st Jan!! 

Ahhh but no doubt after an early Spring in February we will get the perfect winter charts as we go into March and through to April, and the usual comments about our best snowfalls always turning up in March and April will start popping up again!:wallbash:

Come to think of it, I have seen more snow around at Easter than I have Christmas time, all gone by midday but none the less, trying to get snow and a decent freeze in mid winter ie, mid December to mid February seems like so much hard work these days. Horribly mild here today, 10c and sunny, just before Christmas, thats just yuk.

Like most of us on here, trying to be patient for now and pinning my hopes on SSW producing the goods.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Matty88 said:

but weren't the winters of 76/87 similar ie pre-xmas it was mild then bang and the country was gripped in an epic freeze??

Nope just 2 or 3 in the mid 80s

Posted

I have a playlist running at the moment. 

Songs that were released around Christmas time, without the Christmas theme. 

Another Brick in the Wall, Walking on the Moon, and Super Trouper by Abba. To name but a few.

Might play Stop the Calvary later on, much to someone’s annoyance on this forum. Yes it’s you, isn’t it!

Posted
32 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Nope just 2 or 3 in the mid 80s

My uncle says most winters and Christmas periods post 1970 until 1987, were mild.

The only times Christmas was cold and snowy were 70, 76, 78, and 81.

Winter 78/79, 81/82, and those mid 80s winters were cold. The rest were mostly mild or very mild. 

So much for rose tinted glasses lol

Posted
4 hours ago, Rapodo said:

I know let's all just throw the background signals in the bin shall we? My god how often do fi charts come true!? Talk about negativity! Personally looking at all the information at hand were on the brink of a very special winter developing! About time people stop looking at FAKE fi charts and get to grips! 

We will be all covered in snow by mid jan.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My uncle says most winters and Christmas periods post 1970 until 1987, were mild.

Winter 78/79, 81/82, and those mid 80s winters were cold. The rest were mostly mild or very mild. 

Winter 1984-85 was cold, winter 1985-86 was also a decent winter. February 1986 had a CET of -1.1c 

Edited by coldie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Not sure either 76' or 78' was that cold or snowy, post 78 before New Year we all know about but Xmas Eve to Boxing Day I don't think so...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
39 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not sure either 76' or 78' was that cold or snowy, post 78 before New Year we all know about but Xmas Eve to Boxing Day I don't think so...

depends where you were..prior to Xmas 78 was cold and snowy in the SW up to the 23rd December 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, minus86BriJ said:

I'm going to jump in with a light-hearted question before the onslaught of moans, what are the things people like most about snowy weather?  As a child of the 80's living in a snowy sweet spot in the east of Ireland I've a good few memories to draw from, beasts, stalled fronts etc etc. 

For me when there's fresh lying snow with snow falling at a medium rate and light winds there's no better feeling.  Your senses take a hit from the dichotomy of the dulled sky mixed with the brilliant white sheen from the snow.  The way the acoustics are distorted, absorbed or cushioned if you like by the pack (a dog barking in the distance giving that strange echo effect is one of my favs).  I could and have walked in it for hours just soaking up the experience, the fact it's so rare in these parts is what makes it so special.

The way everything goes quiet after a snowfall. I live less than a mile away from the M1 so it is very noticeable here. There are few things better than waking up early on a snowy December or January morning, the world completely silent, going for a walk on untouched snow. 

Hardly ever happens mind you.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Probably depended on where you were in the UK. There were no mild Winters up here at all between 1977 and 1988. The early seventies did have several above average Winters but all had cold spells with some snow.

Edit. Admittedly there were few white Christmasses but many white New Years.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I have a playlist running at the moment. 

Songs that were released around Christmas time, without the Christmas theme. 

Another Brick in the Wall, Walking on the Moon, and Super Trouper by Abba. To name but a few.

Might play Stop the Calvary later on, much to someone’s annoyance on this forum. Yes it’s you, isn’t it!

Nizlopi JCB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Well, I have been posting on net-weather since winter 03-04 so this will be my 15th year and I have never known such dire prospects for a true winter and snowfall.

Given the fact that in the last 15 years I have experienced 1 'true' winter 09-10 and possibly 10-11, and maybe 2 major snowfalls - it is fair to say that I never expect much anyway.

Last winter was not too bad for me, experiencing a number of slight coverings in Cumbria, albeit nothing major it was refreshing from the norm - and some of you may remember I was in the south-west for the 'snowstorm' and ended up in a 5 mile circular radius in the Barnstaple area - the only part in the whole of  the south-west that received no snowfall at all. That, personally was the last straw for me and I no longer crave cold winters and snow, as it always end's up in disappointment.

It is fair to say I could not care less anymore. The UK is a maritime climate, harsh cold winters are extremely rare, as is major snowfall - and it sure is;nt happening this year. Any talks of SSW is simply ramping to keep coldies enthused.

I would expect the rest of winter to be dominated by the Atlantic, mild with rain, with perhaps the odd high pressure interlude which will bring slight short-lived cold spells. Any major snowfall will be restricted to high ground and, as ever, Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

agree with last few words, bolded bit certainly for members to get 'likes', SSW is FI anyway, and no guarantee of a cold shot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A slightly different viewpoint. My home area had between 15 and 20 cms snowfall on Saturday. Since warmer weather arrived then there has been virtually no sunshine. Here are two photos taken today, one looking SW and one looking NE. Why if there has been a lack of sunshine should the SW facing aspect lose all its snow while it still hangs on in the NE facing slopes? Is it to do with warmth from the sun getting through the clouds?

119B49B8-D975-4DC5-A0E7-668E1EE1F61B.jpeg

1F64C3F3-974D-49CE-B1C5-C098529AF671.jpeg

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
46 minutes ago, Barmada Casten said:

Any talks of SSW is simply ramping to keep coldies enthused.

Considering it's already either started or about to do so anytime now, I'm not sure why you're saying that? We don't know what the effects of it will be yet though. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1