Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hunt For Cold: Model Discussion - Heading Into Christmas

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Based on the strat evolutions and widespread expectation that ECM should have this right with the sufficient split about a week sooner than GFS, there’s little value in looking at GFS output past D5 at the mo. D14+ should see signs of any quick split vortex response in that model but it’s so far out... need I say more?

So ECM’s the best guidance I believe. Of great interest to see signs of trop response to the split D9-D10 of the 00z.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The GFS 10hpa charts this morning certainly have that look of a dog coming back with it’s  tail between it’s  legs. A welcomed relief! It’s got some catching up to do over the next few runs.. The walk of shame in modelling terms  

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I’m cautious - looking back at the feb charts, we saw a response in the modelling around five days before the reversal for the period 18/22 feb. This turned out to be progressive..... so although the models may well begin to show some impressive fi coldie output by Tuesday, the dates of this shouldn’t be taken too seriously at that stage ....

Hi Blue, was this the catalyst for our exceptional summer? If so could we get into that position with this SSW, i.e. so blocked out that we end up high and dry?

Posted
15 minutes ago, Shunter said:

I think today is going to see the start of some mouthwatering charts. The zonal mean zonal wind at 10 hPa 60N at midnight is (GFS analysis): 27.3 m/s . Its going to drop like a stone for the next few days , we await the Trop response.

And we have the Xmas data issues to look forward to (I'll get my coat).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

And we have the Xmas data issues to look forward to (I'll get my coat).

How could I have forgotten those, JP...Will it be aircraft or balloons, this time...Drones even?:crazy:

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Hi Blue, was this the catalyst for our exceptional summer? If so could we get into that position with this SSW, i.e. so blocked out that we end up high and dry?

Certainly contributed but a+ b never equals c

7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Based on the strat evolutions and widespread expectation that ECM should have this right with the sufficient split about a week sooner than GFS, there’s little value in looking at GFS output past D5 at the mo. D14+ should see signs of any quick split vortex response in that model but it’s so far out... need I say more?

So ECM’s the best guidance I believe. Of great interest to see signs of trop response to the split D9-D10 of the 00z.

Unless you have the time to trawl through 50 eps members on the NH view, trying to see a QTR on the ecm suite is pretty painful - imo, the best (and easiest) illustration will come from the day 10 spreads - given that the reversal is progged day 7, we are just about in range so next few runs may reveal something 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I know and very politically put 

Posted

The winter of waiting. It’s a shame I have no patience!

Feels like I’ve been waiting a lifetime for the models to agree on strat developments. Never mind the trop response.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Unless you have the time to trawl through 50 eps members on the NH view, trying to see a QTR on the ecm suite is pretty painful - imo, the best (and easiest) illustration will come from the day 10 spreads - given that the reversal is progged day 7, we are just about in range so next few runs may reveal something 

Any QTR in my opinion that you will see on the ens will only be wedge like ridging or transient until we see a proper definitive seperation of the lobes in the strat, of course that may already be modelled on some individual members but until the means show this, you wont see anything glaring that screams SSW response, then and only then will you also see huge amounts of them falling off the cliff on the graph and flatlining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

So that's why...Nowt but a bit of scatter, after January 3rd!

GEFS Ensembles Chart

If only we could get a few more down towards that -10 line

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

If only we could get a few more down towards that -10 line

Need to the mean to get below -5c , that in FI would be an impressive signal. 

Sone wild swings are possible any day now.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

The high is displaced further to the west at day 10 on the GFS, an interesting chart to start the new year..... monster high pressure system is that looks like it may have an opportunity to ridge northwards soon after

FA42EF05-0004-48D2-94F8-7BFACDB048EA.png

Posted
59 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

ever thought about a house swap Nick?.....I fancy a week in the SW of France, especially with an easterly feed setting up there and cold T850's knocking on the door.....I'd even throw in some pickled onion monster munch and a dairylea dunkable as a tempter?  ho ho ho 

You should be here now , it’s almost barbecue weather ! I’m debating whether to ditch the turkey as it’s currently deck chair weather !

Its expected to turn a bit colder but nothing major at the moment . It’s a very poor start to the skiing season and that high needs to be nuked ASAP!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
10 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The high is displaced further to the west at day 10 on the GFS, an interesting chart to start the new year..... monster high pressure system is that looks like it may have an opportunity to ridge northwards soon after

FA42EF05-0004-48D2-94F8-7BFACDB048EA.png

Yep gets there in the end . Variation of a theme in FI lately

B147F354-5B1C-4FCB-B162-E80D9AFCE54E.png

7A5D05B4-4FA7-4C85-90D2-BC3441EC5586.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Looking good...Models are starting to smell the coffee. No java just yet, though?

Netweather GFS Image

• Like 1

Posted

Different run coming here, high better oriented to allow a cold polar flow then hopefully something epic later on .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

6z gfs, bit of a Steelers wheel job "high to the left of me high to the right,here I am stuck in the middle with you"!! Decent run tho

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'm taking a break from all things weather until the 27th but i'll leave with this. The 6z run is almost a carbon copy in the later timeframes to the extended EPS

EXT.thumb.png.7959639c8543a81ba7411ca1c58966cf.pnggfsnh-0-348.thumb.png.4d10a7ec0b3a30855d17647cfd34995d.png

Overnight 00z GEFS trending colder in FI, I'd expect to see that continue on the 6z run. Everything is going along nicely, don't be surprised to see that Mid-Block become a High-Lat block on a few runs. Time to watch this next period of cold weather trickle down into the reliable.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'm taking a break from all things weather until the 27th but i'll leave with this. The 6z run is almost a carbon copy in the later timeframes to the extended EPS

EXT.thumb.png.7959639c8543a81ba7411ca1c58966cf.pnggfsnh-0-348.thumb.png.4d10a7ec0b3a30855d17647cfd34995d.png

Overnight 00z GEFS trending colder in FI, I'd expect to see that continue on the 6z run. Everything is going along nicely, don't be surprised to see that Mid-Block become a High-Lat block on a few runs. Time to watch this next period of cold weather trickle down into the reliable.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

very much agreed.