Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion 13/12/2018 Onwards

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Here you are, didnt take him long to get back. Hopefully we get an update this evening. 

Screenshot_20190128_123011.jpg

Posted
6 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

Sleet and snow for tomorrow morning's rush hour:

Remember a few years back when snow hit just before rush hour. The M1 between Belfast and Lisburn became a car park. The reality is, even a little amount of snow causes disruption as folk just don't know how to drive in it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Barra Best getting in on the act, too. 

Screenshot_20190128_123639_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Remember a few years back when snow hit just before rush hour. The M1 between Belfast and Lisburn became a car park. The reality is, even a little amount of snow causes disruption as folk just don't know how to drive in it.

I don't remember that but the Bangor - Belfast road is rarely affected in these events - just too close to the coast. I do remember hearing about the Saintfield Road out your direction being affected really badly though at rush hour when snow is falling! People abandoning their cars IIRC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Too mild yet here, hoping after dark will make a difference though I think it was more the early hours of tomorrow morning it was due to snow anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
4 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Not as depressing as it looks for South Eastern Down. Looks the showers will fade before reaching here.

Standard no matter what direction it comes from

Posted
28 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

I don't remember that but the Bangor - Belfast road is rarely affected in these events - just too close to the coast. I do remember hearing about the Saintfield Road out your direction being affected really badly though at rush hour when snow is falling! People abandoning their cars IIRC.

Aye, where I live in Carryduff is nightmare when it's snowing. In heavier snow, cars get abandoned all over the shop making the problem worse.

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Never mind Thursday, this the latest euro 4 snowfall forecast for the next 48 hours....

image.png.a6238c93aeeef16dff1cd0cad483d896.png

Look at the snow shield in full operation north down and the peninsula. U couldn't make that up

Posted
Just now, johnny1972 said:

Look at the snow shield in full operation north down and the peninsula. U couldn't make that up

To be fair though Johnny, Donaghadee is at sea level and on the East coast. Probably one of the worst place on the Island to be for snowfall.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

To be fair though Johnny, Donaghadee is at sea level and on the East coast. Probably one of the worst place on the Island to be for snowfall.

Fair point. I think Dec 2010 spoilt us when we had 8 inches. It can be done given right conditions. Even the easterly was poor last year so was hoping flow from NW with no sea track might do the trick.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Is it not due to bucket down with snow on Thursday in the East.

Not from what i have seen on any charts but i suppose its open to change even this close to the day.

Posted

Met Eireann 11:04 Update:

"Thursday remains very uncertain but current indications suggest it will start cloudy in most areas with a band of rain spreading from the southwest. The rain possibly turning to snow as it pushes northeastwards but there is a lot of uncertainty in relation to this feature at the moment. It will be very cold with temperatures of just 3 to 6 degrees. Frost and ice will develop on Thursday night along with further wintry showers."

Not a wholly inspiring update but you never know.  Anyone on higher ground in the heavy precip zone are looking good for a day off work on Friday, the rest of us will have to wait and see.

Posted

Not convinced we want that low on Thursday, risk it could be only rain at low levels anyway!

Posted
18 minutes ago, bobbarley said:

Not convinced we want that low on Thursday, risk it could be only rain at low levels anyway!

Latest ICON & ECM has the precipitation as far South as Louth so I would definitely say Antrim is not going to get his on Thursday and the odds are slipping on Down getting hit too.

You should do well from the showers tomorrow

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

Hi Folks. I'm new in here but have been following the weather for many a year...mad snow fan btw!  I'm not really a fan of the BBC forecasts and prefer to use the Met and other models for possible snow outcomes. However.....I've just watched the main UK BBC forecast and its not looking too great for Ireland as a whole tomorrow!! Whats do you guys think on the overall snow outcomes for the following days. Look forward to speaking to ya all in the coming snow days! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather

Edited by zebra3
  • Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, zebra3 said:

Hi Folks. I'm new in here but have been following the weather for many a year...mad snow fan btw!  I'm not really a fan of the BBC forecasts and prefer to use the Met and other models for possible snow outcomes. However.....I've just watched the main UK BBC forecast and its not looking too great for Ireland as a whole tomorrow!! Whats do you guys think on the overall snow outcomes for the following days. Look forward to speaking to ya all in the coming snow days! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather

I still think it's all up in the air ( pun intended) but the euro4 called it nearly spot on for me last week so I'm going to stick to that ..no need to look past 48hrs at the minute I think

Posted
15 minutes ago, na52 said:

I still think it's all up in the air ( pun intended) but the euro4 called it nearly spot on for me last week so I'm going to stick to that ..no need to look past 48hrs at the minute I think

Yeah, same here. Sleet forecast last Tuesday for me, yet it chucked it down with snow. Think the good old lamp is the best way of gauging things in the next 24 hrs! 

Posted

12z ICON shows snow only for South of Dublin on Thursday and doesn't look too widespread or troublesome

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted
4 minutes ago, parrotingfantasist said:

Whats with the contempt from the Met? Where is our warning? Do they see something we don't... i.e no snow?

They just don't see troublesome snow. NI won't be impacted by any frontal snow fall, only showers, so they don't see an issue.

The snow band on Thursday now favouring central Leinster and Connaught. All of Ulster and most of Munster to miss out at the moment.

• Like 1