Jump to content

What temperature is your heating set to?


Recommended Posts

On 19/11/2018 at 18:48, Snipper said:

Temperature is immaterial. Are you warm? If not wind it up or wind it down if too hot. 

Chances are your thermostat and or thermometer is wrong anyway.

What I consider is cold might not coincide with what you like.

If you cannot afford to warm your house to a comfortable temparature it is a real problem. But why heat your whole house to the ideal?  Heat a couple of rooms and close off those that are not used much. Not the ideal for most but a way of not wasting money heating accommodation that does not really need it 

 

Just what we do living in a tenanted farmhouse with mostly single glazed windows . Halls at 7c just now .Have fireplaces that just heat half a room at a time so mostly live in the kitchen diner with rayburn.Wear lots of wool jerseys and thermals in the winter.No heating  in bedrooms but extra wool blankets in winter on top of duvet with the latest all night electric blanket.Don"t know how any one can live in 18c in every room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After having a bedroom that was over 30c this summer, 19c feels freezing. Heating is set to 21c, and we have been asking it to rise to 23c. yes I said ask. Ours is voiced controlled and on a timer to come on at 6am everyday. 

I agree. 18c to me is chilly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dami said:

After having a bedroom that was over 30c this summer, 19c feels freezing. Heating is set to 21c, and we have been asking it to rise to 23c. yes I said ask. Ours is voiced controlled and on a timer to come on at 6am everyday. 

I agree. 18c to me is chilly.

Voice controlled? Fancy gadget, that ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just what we do living in a tenanted farmhouse with mostly single glazed windows . Halls at 7c just now .Have fireplaces that just heat half a room at a time so mostly live in the kitchen diner with rayburn.Wear lots of wool jerseys and thermals in the winter.No heating  in bedrooms but extra wool blankets in winter on top of duvet with the latest all night electric blanket.Don"t know how any one can live in 18c in every room.

Sounds as if you have the magic of frost patterns on your windows in the morning. Those were the days. Getting dressed under the bed covers in the morning. Not sure I want it now though. Great experience for this mainly soft world. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just what we do living in a tenanted farmhouse with mostly single glazed windows . Halls at 7c just now .Have fireplaces that just heat half a room at a time so mostly live in the kitchen diner with rayburn.Wear lots of wool jerseys and thermals in the winter.No heating  in bedrooms but extra wool blankets in winter on top of duvet with the latest all night electric blanket.Don"t know how any one can live in 18c in every room.

This would suit me to be perfectly well

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Just what we do living in a tenanted farmhouse with mostly single glazed windows . Halls at 7c just now .Have fireplaces that just heat half a room at a time so mostly live in the kitchen diner with rayburn.Wear lots of wool jerseys and thermals in the winter.No heating  in bedrooms but extra wool blankets in winter on top of duvet with the latest all night electric blanket.Don"t know how any one can live in 18c in every room.

Sounds very much like my childhood in the 60's,single glazing, no central heating and one coal fire.  Our woodburner has had a few logs on it this evening though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lauren said:

Voice controlled? Fancy gadget, that ?

We got a new boiler at the beginning of the year which is on a system called Hive, and that via a hub can be controlled by amazon Alexa. Since Hubs has one of those in every room bar the bathrooms it doesn't matter where I am in the house if i feel cold and want to turn the heating on. Still got a dial that can be turned .  

Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone using a wood burning stove, I'd highly recommend the book Norwegian Wood by Lars Mytting, lots of useful info. It turns out much of what many people traditionally do in terms of lighting, fuelling and operating their stoves is wrong, both in terms of efficiency and in burning clean.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you  use to clean the glass in the stove door? One of my stoves is nearly 40 years old so some stuff glued on and I doubt anything will shift it. 

The chap who delivered some solid fuel says the best thing he uses is a multipurpose wipe when the glass is cold. Just a cheap and cheerful wipe seems to work pretty well, particular on another stove that is not used much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Snipper said:

What do you  use to clean the glass in the stove door? One of my stoves is nearly 40 years old so some stuff glued on and I doubt anything will shift it. 

The chap who delivered some solid fuel says the best thing he uses is a multipurpose wipe when the glass is cold. Just a cheap and cheerful wipe seems to work pretty well, particular on another stove that is not used much. 

I dip a damp wettish cloth or kitchen wipe in the ashes of the fire from the previous night and use it to clean the glass.  The chappie who installed the multifuel burner gave me this trick and it has worked a treat for me now for 5-years - the glass is clean.

My heating thermostat (situated in the hall) is set to 15 but I do use the burner as the main source of heat.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I dip a damp wettish cloth or kitchen wipe in the ashes of the fire from the previous night and use it to clean the glass.  The chappie who installed the multifuel burner gave me this trick and it has worked a treat for me now for 5-years - the glass is clean.

My heating thermostat (situated in the hall) is set to 15 but I do use the burner as the main source of heat.

 

I second the ash trick, works like a charm. Was even written in the manual for my Jøtul stove.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the heating V A/C war of winter 2012/13 (A/C won ?..) and me ignoring the thermostat settings, dad getting whopping bill in 2013/14 winter ?, we have a new boiler and individual thermostats on radiators now.

10.30pm-6.30am the thermostat is set to 17ºC, 6.30am-9am it's 21ºC, 9am-2pm it's 20ºC and 2pm-10.30pm it's back to 21ºC. I don't have the radiator on in my room but the house is comfortable for father, which is fine for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Thermostat is set to 19c at almost midnight the hallway is still showing 18c and it went off at 1800 quite remarkable just how warm it is still inside for the time of year.

Not that I'm complaining long may it continue!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...