Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What temperature is your heating set to?

Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I like it around 19-20C in the living room but around 17C for the bedroom, however the missus likes it about 30C in every room

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

30C?!?  Your poor heating bill!

• Like 1

Posted
On 19/11/2018 at 18:48, Snipper said:

Temperature is immaterial. Are you warm? If not wind it up or wind it down if too hot. 

Chances are your thermostat and or thermometer is wrong anyway.

What I consider is cold might not coincide with what you like.

If you cannot afford to warm your house to a comfortable temparature it is a real problem. But why heat your whole house to the ideal?  Heat a couple of rooms and close off those that are not used much. Not the ideal for most but a way of not wasting money heating accommodation that does not really need it 

Just what we do living in a tenanted farmhouse with mostly single glazed windows . Halls at 7c just now .Have fireplaces that just heat half a room at a time so mostly live in the kitchen diner with rayburn.Wear lots of wool jerseys and thermals in the winter.No heating  in bedrooms but extra wool blankets in winter on top of duvet with the latest all night electric blanket.Don"t know how any one can live in 18c in every room.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

After having a bedroom that was over 30c this summer, 19c feels freezing. Heating is set to 21c, and we have been asking it to rise to 23c. yes I said ask. Ours is voiced controlled and on a timer to come on at 6am everyday. 

I agree. 18c to me is chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
25 minutes ago, Lauren said:

30C?!?  Your poor heating bill!

As a result I'm often sat around in my shorts and t-shirt and gasping for air. She rules the roost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
8 minutes ago, Dami said:

After having a bedroom that was over 30c this summer, 19c feels freezing. Heating is set to 21c, and we have been asking it to rise to 23c. yes I said ask. Ours is voiced controlled and on a timer to come on at 6am everyday. 

I agree. 18c to me is chilly.

Voice controlled? Fancy gadget, that

Posted
26 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just what we do living in a tenanted farmhouse with mostly single glazed windows . Halls at 7c just now .Have fireplaces that just heat half a room at a time so mostly live in the kitchen diner with rayburn.Wear lots of wool jerseys and thermals in the winter.No heating  in bedrooms but extra wool blankets in winter on top of duvet with the latest all night electric blanket.Don"t know how any one can live in 18c in every room.

Sounds as if you have the magic of frost patterns on your windows in the morning. Those were the days. Getting dressed under the bed covers in the morning. Not sure I want it now though. Great experience for this mainly soft world. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
59 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

This would suit me to be perfectly well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Sounds very much like my childhood in the 60's,single glazing, no central heating and one coal fire.  Our woodburner has had a few logs on it this evening though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
10 hours ago, Lauren said:

Voice controlled? Fancy gadget, that

We got a new boiler at the beginning of the year which is on a system called Hive, and that via a hub can be controlled by amazon Alexa. Since Hubs has one of those in every room bar the bathrooms it doesn't matter where I am in the house if i feel cold and want to turn the heating on. Still got a dial that can be turned .  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

For anyone using a wood burning stove, I'd highly recommend the book Norwegian Wood by Lars Mytting, lots of useful info. It turns out much of what many people traditionally do in terms of lighting, fuelling and operating their stoves is wrong, both in terms of efficiency and in burning clean.

Posted

What do you  use to clean the glass in the stove door? One of my stoves is nearly 40 years old so some stuff glued on and I doubt anything will shift it. 

The chap who delivered some solid fuel says the best thing he uses is a multipurpose wipe when the glass is cold. Just a cheap and cheerful wipe seems to work pretty well, particular on another stove that is not used much. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
41 minutes ago, Snipper said:

What do you  use to clean the glass in the stove door? One of my stoves is nearly 40 years old so some stuff glued on and I doubt anything will shift it. 

The chap who delivered some solid fuel says the best thing he uses is a multipurpose wipe when the glass is cold. Just a cheap and cheerful wipe seems to work pretty well, particular on another stove that is not used much. 

I dip a damp wettish cloth or kitchen wipe in the ashes of the fire from the previous night and use it to clean the glass.  The chappie who installed the multifuel burner gave me this trick and it has worked a treat for me now for 5-years - the glass is clean.

My heating thermostat (situated in the hall) is set to 15 but I do use the burner as the main source of heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
18 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

I dip a damp wettish cloth or kitchen wipe in the ashes of the fire from the previous night and use it to clean the glass.  The chappie who installed the multifuel burner gave me this trick and it has worked a treat for me now for 5-years - the glass is clean.

My heating thermostat (situated in the hall) is set to 15 but I do use the burner as the main source of heat.

I second the ash trick, works like a charm. Was even written in the manual for my Jøtul stove.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Since the heating V A/C war of winter 2012/13 (A/C won ..) and me ignoring the thermostat settings, dad getting whopping bill in 2013/14 winter , we have a new boiler and individual thermostats on radiators now.

10.30pm-6.30am the thermostat is set to 17ºC, 6.30am-9am it's 21ºC, 9am-2pm it's 20ºC and 2pm-10.30pm it's back to 21ºC. I don't have the radiator on in my room but the house is comfortable for father, which is fine for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I don’t have control of the heating but it’s usually set at 18-19°C, usually on through the evening but on particularly cold days it’s on longer 

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Thermostat is set to 19c at almost midnight the hallway is still showing 18c and it went off at 1800 quite remarkable just how warm it is still inside for the time of year.

Not that I'm complaining long may it continue!