Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What temperature is your heating set to?

Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Do you have it on a set temperature or do you turn it up and down? Do you have disagreements with other people in the house?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

We have Hive so easily adjustable time slots... When we're in and up we set to 18.5, when out or overnight set to 17...seems to work quite well... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Set at 18 night and day on the  thermostat . 
Don't want the dog to get cold at night  

B.

Posted

Temperature is immaterial. Are you warm? If not wind it up or wind it down if too hot. 

Chances are your thermostat and or thermometer is wrong anyway.

What I consider is cold might not coincide with what you like.

If you cannot afford to warm your house to a comfortable temparature it is a real problem. But why heat your whole house to the ideal?  Heat a couple of rooms and close off those that are not used much. Not the ideal for most but a way of not wasting money heating accommodation that does not really need it 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I set my thermostat either at 18 Celsius or at 19 Celsius. The heating come on this morning when it was set at 17 Celsius.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

We've got ours set to 20c when on, and have a min temp of 17c when it's not set, so we don't let the house get too cold. 

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity

No thermostat in the house so it's on or off, lit the fire for the first time in 10 days tonight as the whole house felt damp and chilly. The stove has an exposed stove pipe so the living room can get a little too hot but the rest of the house is just nicely warmed through.

Edited by NPUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

18 usually 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Mine is set to 19°C.
Heating comes on at 6pm and goes off just before midnight. I open the window at night and with that ENE wind this morning, bedroom temp was down to 16.5°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
9 hours ago, NPUK said:

No thermostat in the house so it's on or off, lit the fire for the first time in 10 days tonight as the whole house felt damp and chilly. The stove has an exposed stove pipe so the living room can get a little too hot but the rest of the house is just nicely warmed through.

So does the house just keep heating up and up until you turn it off or does it plateau?

Posted
10 hours ago, NPUK said:

You could get an insulated stove pipe. 

Obviously I don’t know what your set up is.  

Does the fire roar away or gently tick over when turned right down?

Does the stove have a big fire bed? If yes you could always get fire bricks/boards to line back and side so fire burning is smaller.

Other things you might be able to do to get the temperatures right and circulate the heat.

Just some thoughts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity
5 hours ago, Lauren said:

So does the house just keep heating up and up until you turn it off or does it plateau?

The boiler temp is set on the middle setting so when it reaches that it cuts out. No room stat though.

4 hours ago, Snipper said:

You could get an insulated stove pipe. 

Obviously I don’t know what your set up is.  

Does the fire roar away or gently tick over when turned right down?

Does the stove have a big fire bed? If yes you could always get fire bricks/boards to line back and side so fire burning is smaller.

Other things you might be able to do to get the temperatures right and circulate the heat.

Just some thoughts.

Double wall pipe through the wall but only single wall from stove to wall. The fire is quite manageable with the 2 vents, I can turn it right down. The stove is oversized really for the room but it nneeds to run 10 rads.

Posted

Husband likes the thermostat set to 20/21 degrees.  I'm one of those annoying people that either puts it down to 0 if it's too hot, or up to 30 if it's too cold.  Nowt inbetween for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i have 2 furnaces one serves the main house one serves the basement..the main house is set to 20 but need to turn that down to 18 as its too warm at night unless its really cold outside..the basement thermostat is set to 16...my son basically lives there almost as a separate living space.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I don't have central heating just log and coal fires.

I wear a jumper until the fires get warm.

Posted

Our heating is set to come on at 7 in the morn until 9am. Then on timer to come on at 5.30 to go off at 9.30pm. Our heating thermostat is in living room ( not ideal) and set at 21c.

New individual controls on upstairs rads has helped regulate and balance.

If it gets cold in daytime during Winter and we're home just click the override to put heating on early. If not at home why bother? It is not like the sofa is crying out for warmth

Posted
3 hours ago, NPUK said:

The boiler temp is set on the middle setting so when it reaches that it cuts out. No room stat though.

Double wall pipe through the wall but only single wall from stove to wall. The fire is quite manageable with the 2 vents, I can turn it right down. The stove is oversized really for the room but it nneeds to run 10 rads.

Bit difficult to control if no rad or other thermostats. 

My heating evolved from a Parkray insert stove heating the room and a few rads, which were installed 40 odd years ago. When we extended it was not capable of heating everything. We had an oil fired boiler installed but got plumber to connect the Parkray in as well. 

To be honest a nice fire is a good way to heat if you want to put up with the faff of making the fire up. Maintenance very low.  Feels much more cozy.

I installed a wall thermostat and fitted rad thermostats. 

Depending on what sort of stove you have a Stove Fan might suit you. Check out on Google.  Can’t use one with my stoves. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Our heating is set to come on at 7 in the morn until 9am. Then on timer to come on at 5.30 to go off at 9.30pm. Our heating thermostat is in living room ( not ideal) and set at 21c.

New individual controls on upstairs rads has helped regulate and balance.

If it gets cold in daytime during Winter and we're home just click the override to put heating on early. If not at home why bother? It is not like the sofa is crying out for warmth

I find it a constant balancing act. Everyone’s needs are different both during the day and at night. No one has right answer. 

Edited by Snipper

Posted
2 hours ago, Snipper said:

Bit difficult to control if no rad or other thermostats. 

My heating evolved from a Parkray insert stove heating the room and a few rads, which were installed 40 odd years ago. When we extended it was not capable of heating everything. We had an oil fired boiler installed but got plumber to connect the Parkray in as well. 

To be honest a nice fire is a good way to heat if you want to put up with the faff of making the fire up. Maintenance very low.  Feels much more cozy.

I installed a wall thermostat and fitted rad thermostats. 

Depending on what sort of stove you have a Stove Fan might suit you. Check out on Google.  Can’t use one with my stoves. 

Stove has a canopy so no room for fan. We have oil fired boiler linked with the stove but my wood is for free so 90% of the heating is from the stove. Probably need rad stats

Posted
18 minutes ago, NPUK said:

Stove has a canopy so no room for fan. We have oil fired boiler linked with the stove but my wood is for free so 90% of the heating is from the stove. Probably need rad stats

Makes it easier to put up with problem if fuel is free. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

21c , will have a log fire most days now - days of air conditioning seem a long way away for now.