Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

At my dads house in Bexhill, we have an exposed corner path/road near Tesco Express, that acts as a wind funnel, creating a localised area of strong winds when they are blowing from the SW (it faces the seafront). It was so strong today that it nearly blew me over, and the rain felt like needles!

48 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Wow. Lucky escape for some people there. 

Yes, agreed, very poor weather now in the capital aswell. Lots of local flooding with many quite large branches down. Very nasty squalls too. 

Edited by Wimbledon88

Wow... 

DSC_1272.thumb.JPG.7ad02d991964ef6c7db5071fd07cd413.JPG

1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

Anyone seen the latest Met office update ? Looks pretty decent for our area. From 13th Feb to 22nd Feb it mentions colder than average temps in the South and East with overnight frosts, and a possibility of snow showers from the East. Then in the later period says cold and blocked with snow potential into March!

Now I know these updates haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in recent weeks but interesting nonetheless, does anyone know which models the Met are using to ascertain the possibility of snow showers next week? As I can't see the models we have access to showing this

Seen that earlier. Certainly interesting. Let's see if its the same in a few days time. I agree that they haven't been the best in recent months but, at the end of the day, they are the experts. Certainly seems bullish.

They have access to much more detailed and analogous information than we can see. 

In the midst of this squall - the rain!!

squall.JPG

28 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

At my dads house in Bexhill, we have an exposed corner path/road near Tesco Express, that acts as a wind funnel, creating a localised area of strong winds when they are blowing from the SW (it faces the seafront). It was so strong today that it nearly blew me over, and the rain felt like needles!

Heh Lightning Lover. I was up Galley Hill this afternoon and you struggled to breathe and speak it was so windy ! Had a whale of a time up there ! I'm trying to upload a video I took.

Horrible day here in locksbottom.Light rain and drizzle this morning gave way to persistent rain from early afternoon and about 4ish very heavy rain.max temp was a mild 11.6 but didn’t feel that warm in the strong wind.looks a better day tomorrow but more rain Sunday.after a very dry January it has been an incredibly wet first 8 days of February!!

Driving back home and it is crazy outside. Very heavy rain (downpours) with strong winds. The first thing came to mind that imagine if this all rain was snow 😂

Pounding rain and wind. Proper February storm. I'm worried for some of the huge trees around here, looking precarious enough as it is in light winds and the snow hasn't helped.

Blowing a hoolie outside, some serious gusts

Plenty of wild weather around today in the Surrey Hills. Warnings from the MO well justified in my view; lack of Armageddon in one's own back garden not really being enough to say warnings were misplaced.   

Very mild now, relatively calm, rain has stopped.  

The wind took the edge off the temperature today, despite it being officially mild it actually felt cod.

19 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

The wind took the edge off the temperature today, despite it being officially mild it actually felt cod.

Thats sounds a bit fishy Lass

It turns out that my new job is absolutely fantastic for storms. The office has skylights so the rain is very audible and, better yet, the wind whistles through the vents in true Hollywood sound effect style. It's also in an elevated position over looking the sea, so it's nice and exposed.

A lively spring, please.

Morning all,

Totally agree with our "own", Daniel. A trip to Specsavers for some of those individuals on the MAD thread, followed by an appointment, with a Psychiatrist. Very strange behaviour!!:crazy:

I thought it had started to be accepted that we were unlikely to see anything much colder, until we hit the second half of February?? Most of the Models are just about getting to mid-month, now.

But still the "doom merchants", are spouting their nonsense. It's only the weather, for pete's sake.

Anyway, as an antidote to all that negativity. Below, something for all us, snow lovers. Genesis, post Peter Gabriel and with Phil Collins on lead vocals, from the "And then there were three" album. The delightful, "Snowbound". Enjoy.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Nice start to the day here. 

At least one good day to come for the weekend for those of us that work. 

Tomorrow’s looking pretty dire, rain and 5c 

BBC weather graphics (I know) showed a fair bit of falling back edge snow for the n and e of our region tomorrow just now.

Just wanted to post this up. It's from local Meteorologist, Ian Currie's Frosted Earth, website:

http://www.frostedearth.co.uk/

Quote:

"For the Week ahead from 8th Feb. 2019.

After a very unsettled Weekend it does look like a drier prospect for the week ahead with high- pressure close to us. This means that it will be quite cold at night with some frosts but up to around 5C to 6C by day and there will be some sunshine. Winds much lighter than of late.

It could become somewhat colder if the area of high pressure transfers northwards and the wind turns more to the east so I will be monitoring this for the following week when wintery weather may affect us so look out for my updates."

Regards,

Tom :hi:

One of the worst winters I can remember ( SO FAR ! )

Most of the time it's been dank/wet and very very windy, and then the hopefulness of snow and we get a bit of light snow that never settles!

Glad to see the back of this :(

Apparently, the downwelling is still going down the well:cc_confused: it's been downwelling for so long, not sure it can down well any further

Before the downwelling ends it'll end up in australia, and they will damn well end up stealing our cold 😞 

11 minutes ago, Essex Easterly. said:

Before the downwelling ends it'll end up in australia, and they will damn well end up stealing our cold 😞 

It will be their winter rather than ours by then anyway.

Not gone down well at all, has it?

Run of the mill winter storm for sure. We have similar every winter. The only reason a fair number of trees have come down is that trees grow old and die and crash to earth naturally, sometimes with little prompting. This moderately strong blow was enough.

I'd say we haven't had a major winter storm for many years in our patch (maybe an unnaturally long "lull"?) Possibly 2002 but I'd go back to the Burns' Day Storm of 1990. At that point, in 1990, it was our third big storm in under 15 years. 

Storms just after Christmas 1999 caused gusts of over 100mph in Paris (Storms Lothar and Martin?) Paris is possibly slightly less 'favoured" for major windstorms than us. When we get our next major windstorm, some of you will be shocked, if you think the last 24 hours were out of the ordinary.