Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

How is it London way? Say Bexley/Croydon/Lewisham area?

Snowing here near Croydon, but not settling apart from on cars for now, just not the intensity to for very wet ground. Higher parts to my south over North Downs probably fare better no doubt.

Heaviest snow of the night here now in locksbottom.roads and pavements all covered in last 15 mins.Would be great if this intensity could keep up for just 1 hour as that would give probably 1cm!,not sure how much longer it will last.anyone got any ideas?

Snow is heavy again..

I've noticed the latest HIRLAM is showing a few hours of snowfall for Sunday👍🏽

7 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Here's a loop of the upper low / PVA that's driving this persistent area of snow through today:

Thanks for sharing, what makes it so difficult for models to predict this? 

Just now, D.V.R said:

Snow is heavy again..

I've noticed the latest HIRLAM is showing a few hours of snowfall for Sunday👍🏽

Oh no can’t do it anymore

lol

22 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Band over se London moving southwards bu5 breaking up and weakening as i5 does so.think by midnight we will all be done although I 5hink snow showers will move into EA from midnight onwards.Certainly been an interesting day which some models have really struggled to get hold of what tbf was a developing situation.Great stuff!!

Yeah, I've noticed that. Temp here in Norwich is 0.8c so prime for snow but Euro4 shows temps of +2/3c an rain here overnight, so not sure?

1 minute ago, pinball wizard said:

Thanks for sharing, what makes it so difficult for models to predict this? 

Probably because it's such a small-scale feature (in the grand scheme of things compared to most larger-scale upper-level features). Looks like the upper low slowly weakens as it continues to clear eastwards through tonight, so expected a slow weakening of the precipitation over SE England over the coming hours, but it could still snow for some time yet given it's slow movement and decay.

Some good convergence off Thames reckon this will continue for the night shame I can’t report what’s on the ground! 

536FB42D-CF0E-4763-B991-6F9B930E0255.thumb.png.156f1041db411268e71d400cd68d8673.pngDCB56752-677C-4FFD-919A-4D796FE572A8.thumb.png.ffdd04a6ba297014fbbb319cb5ae5ac6.png

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Is it laying? If so, how much?

Only started settling about 40 minutes ago - nothing major at all, 0.5cm at a push but still coming down. The ground was so wet before I reckon it’s only just become cold enough

Are we looking at significant melt tomorrow as this eases off in the next couple of hours?

14 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Some quite bizarre scenarios playing out locally here.

In short, In three different spots locally snow is falling at lower elevations with sleet and wet snow higher up!

Evaporative Cooling?

1 minute ago, staplehurst said:

Probably because it's such a small-scale feature (in the grand scheme of things compared to most larger-scale upper-level features). Looks like the upper low slowly weakens as it continues to clear eastwards through tonight, so expected a slow weakening of the precipitation over SE England over the coming hours, but it could still snow for some time yet given it's slow movement and decay.

Thanks very much for the explanation, been a typically hit and miss snowfall. What are your thoughts on snowfall from showers across Norfolk/Suffolk overnight? Meto warning for showers seems quite extensive when ppn seems quite limited and prone to fizzling out across Nfolk/Sfolk. 

2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Are we looking at significant melt tomorrow as this eases off in the next couple of hours?

Medway been hit by this Lauren, roads are chaos, check social media etc

9 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Bit of deja vu from last year GP? 😄 Drive the wife nuts. I left the snowfields of Beckenham for this garbage! 😂

And you chose Horley? 😆

light snow here - I was going to take a photo but nothing settling in the lower parts of Reigate except on my neighbour’s car!

Just now, pinball wizard said:

Thanks very much for the explanation, been a typically hit and miss snowfall. What are your thoughts on snowfall from showers across Norfolk/Suffolk overnight? Meto warning for showers seems quite extensive when ppn seems quite limited and prone to fizzling out across Nfolk/Sfolk. 

I suspect the warning for East Anglia is more catered for the ice aspect rather than snow accumulations. (That said of course we have accumulating snow right now in SW Essex). The odd cm or two might be possible very locally, mainly above 100m, but I suspect it'll struggle to settle for most places (if not falling as rain/sleet in any case)

3 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Medway been hit by this Lauren, roads are chaos, check social media etc

Oh I know! I'm here! Just wondering what's the likliehood of it hanging around tomorrow. 

well we had our flurry, now back to nothing....so disappointing, got very unlucky

Edited by steveinsussex

3 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

I suspect the warning for East Anglia is more catered for the ice aspect rather than snow accumulations. (That said of course we have accumulating snow right now in SW Essex). The odd cm or two might be possible very locally, mainly above 100m, but I suspect it'll struggle to settle for most places (if not falling as rain/sleet in any case)

Cheers, that would make sense!

6 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Evaporative Cooling?

Snowing well now and settling quite readily

4 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

And you chose Horley? 😆

light snow here - I was going to take a photo but nothing settling in the lower parts of Reigate except on my neighbour’s car!

Should’ve done my research. And Horley kind of chose me.... 

Heavy sleet here. Intensity not an issue but the usual variables clearly are. 

Was today a Thames Streamer? all be it a weak one that if it wernt mid winter would have been rain> 

1 minute ago, pinball wizard said:

Cheers, that would make sense!

I would wait and see. Temps are lower than predicted (1c), and we have seen that London etc has got some unexpected snowfall.

Pavements turning white again 🙂