Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Cant believe its settling on the roads here in grays. Daughter and the kiddies are leaving here 3am to catch flight from luton to Slovakia. To see the heavy snow thats now melting out there. 12 degrees and raining awaits them!

• Like 1

The radar looks like it did during the Dec 2010 streamer.

Is my interpretation reasonable?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Raining in Norwich. Odd weather.

But the temp's gone from 3.2 to 2.0C, in the last hour...just a wee morsel of hope?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Quite possible, it would explain the shape of the frontal system as well to an extent.

The Screw zone is slowly compacting as well thankfully, though Crawley is literally the middle of it like I was in the middle of it last night.

Crawley was in it last night too, Kold, pretty much. Dire location for snow, along with Horley and Gatwick. 

Just now, coram said:

At least 6" of snow here and still going - although very lightly. An amazing surprise. Internet down for a couple of hours and SKY not working. Other first world problems include damage to my box hedges and holm oaks. 

Nothing like that here but my TV signal has suffered big time tonight because of the snow, and did have lights flicker at one point in the heaviest of the snow.

I must admit I'd rather given up on this whole set-up, but at the last minute is has redeemed itself a fair amount. Was going to be a 2/10, but probably a solid 7 now after this and the very interesting transition. I've rarely been able to watch in real time a transition, so it was really rather cool!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But the temp's gone from 3.2 to 2.0C, in the last hour...just a wee morsel of hope?

Kind of fed up to be honest. Would like to move on to the next system, unless we're going to get something decent out of this.

Edited by Nqp15hhu

Settling nicely in Gillingham. The models missed this!!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

It's just weather - if it freezes we just have to deal with it??‍♂️

I wasn't being rude btw??

No worries mate, I didn't think you were for one minute.  Still very light snow  falling here in the Hastings area. Some quite impressive snow totals being posted from local regions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mulzy said:

Oh dear!  If it's not settling for you, I got no chance.

Onwards and upwards to the mid-February freeze!

Don't give up hope yet,, Once the temps drop a bit more it will be ok.

It's definitely getting heavier again??

Can't believe it's still coming down. Was meant to be wintry mix all day, but it's been solidcsnow since 5pm. Only a couple of cm accumulation but the wet ground is responsible for that.

• Like 2

Just now, throwoff said:

Settling nicely in Gillingham. The models missed this!!!

Gillingham getting snow....Now I am shocked

Showers moving WNW towards Hayling Island.. What a lot of weird wind eddys there are this eve 

1 minute ago, snowking said:

This just about sums up this week in Greenwich:

552D99E9-C8CB-44D6-8E9D-E6F0EE629689.thumb.png.993d6f2be9c4b2a4d8c8197139f1d1b9.png

Been sat on the southern edge of that heavier precipitation for the last two hours now, with just some sleet and occasional bursts of wet snow which hasn’t left a slight layer of slush on some cars. And now it’s weakening.

So a little like March 18 for this area, so close to something more significant but did not have the winning ticket in the raffle once again. But good to see some areas have done better than expected, and today’s system does go to show that even with the hundreds of millions which we throw at forecast models, some situations are still as unsuccessful as my own modelling career (which similarly even hundreds of millions of pounds could not fix)

There’s still hope, we’re only just into February and modelling will remain volatile for a while yet with the downwelling wave, but after the grim weather we’ve had today in London, I think I’m ready for some spring warmth....maybe swimsuit modelling is more my thing...

Surely it has to creep south at some point-!

Snowing for 4 hours 

Started off at 520 with sleet 0.8c

Now woody says 3cm - snowing heavily & 0.1c

5EE4BECD-C236-4863-B6BC-656FE0D565D6.thumb.jpeg.59da4821189e0165288cd956a74f95f3.jpeg7CA98341-1806-484C-AE4C-8B87D49799A1.thumb.jpeg.87914749e66d9cda3c5118ad45755049.jpeg

4196C883-149D-460C-86A7-6F27CF07DB9D.thumb.jpeg.810f89cccc139d1bb1e0b3d49276df6e.jpeg

094393B2-B295-42DA-B2E9-50B361558FBA.thumb.jpeg.70b607496baa6106331fa60ac5ab32db.jpeg

121EC29B-3852-425B-8E77-155F9273CC56.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Still raining in Wimbledon. Very odd but not unexpected. 

Just changed trains at Wimbledon station and it was snowing lightly , heavier band just to the north .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 1

BREAKING NEWS. Finally snowing in Epsom. Just had a call from sister up in Reigate Hill. It's like a blizzard up there. Apparently.

• Like 3

Been crap here in Waltham abbey. Had about an hour of decent snow last night but other than that a wintry mix. Hoping the beast finds its way here. 

5 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Just noticed the flakes are getting bigger again.

Lol yeah same here

12 minutes ago, snowking said:

This just about sums up this week in Greenwich:

552D99E9-C8CB-44D6-8E9D-E6F0EE629689.thumb.png.993d6f2be9c4b2a4d8c8197139f1d1b9.png

Been sat on the southern edge of that heavier precipitation for the last two hours now, with just some sleet and occasional bursts of wet snow which hasn’t left a slight layer of slush on some cars. And now it’s weakening.

So a little like March 18 for this area, so close to something more significant but did not have the winning ticket in the raffle once again. But good to see some areas have done better than expected, and today’s system does go to show that even with the hundreds of millions which we throw at forecast models, some situations are still as unsuccessful as my own modelling career (which similarly even hundreds of millions of pounds could not fix)

There’s still hope, we’re only just into February and modelling will remain volatile for a while yet with the downwelling wave, but after the grim weather we’ve had today in London, I think I’m ready for some spring warmth....maybe swimsuit modelling is more my thing...

I've been under the heavier band for a couple of hours now. Has left nothing with the temp  stuck at 1.3c and a dew point of 1c

Edited by Mark Bayley

Gues what ??? It’s absolou chucking it down with rain here STILL, it’s been all day with no let up what so ever. 

My husband has left for work on the M4, he has driven about ten miles and is now stuck on the A21 in traffic due to the heavy snow. How can we keep missing all this lovely weather??? It’s frustrating.  The band looks like it’s moving closer to us but it will end up just raining here, I can hear it now slamming against the windows like it’s trying to make me angry on purpose. If anyone ANYONE thinks I might gets some snow, a flake even please let me know. It’s been raining none stop her since around 3 am this morning.

• Like 3

I’ll be honest. I’m 33 this year and it’s not snow till I drew a willy in it

Ive just done it.

Edited by throwoff
  • Like 2

Snow settling on all surfaces. I’m in Thurrock. What a great surprise this is??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Tbf though you killed it in last night's snow show I was in Hillingdon and Uxbridge earlier today amazing how diff it was there to the rest of London! Looks like you had a decent amount!

Yes m8..indeed we did by far not the best we've ever had but fairly decent.

The snow junkie in me though-is a demon hard 2 please.

Good to see some that missed out are finaly in the shop door...

And lastly my notion on a mid feb easterly incursion still remains of a big probability...imo.which would be ripe for us lot.

But i'll leave all that stuff 4 the mod thread.

Edited by tight isobar