Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Well they’ve had a pounding in Bath! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, coram said:

Light to moderate snow for the last half an hour in north-east Hampshire. Footprints being filled in and trees getting covered again. This is turning into a great spell in this part of the world. 

Caveat: a great spell for certain bits of this part of the world 😉 

Have my hopes up for something tonight - albeit nothing major expected. We are going to the pub later this afternoon hoping a beer dance will bring the snow to us...

All melted here in Brighton pretty much! Was good while it lasted 

5 minutes ago, terryall said:

Forecast for Where I am now, Whitstable, is heavy snow from 9pm tonight right through till tomorrow morning. That can’t be true - could it?

That’s what I’m seeing too... there’s little point in reading the forecasts, it’s a case of checking out the window - but there’s certainty something suspect going on and it’s still all to play for

If it's not gonna snow then give me clear blue skies and cold instead of this horrible mucky grey stuff 🤬. Please weather gods give me snow 🙏🙏

Flash what pub?

I must now be on the boundary of the colder air, air temperature has dropped 0.4c in about 10 minutes and more and more longer bursts of pure snow. 

Once on the Western side of the precipitation, that is when the chances of settling snow begin...

• Like 1

Just now, Oaks said:

If it's not gonna snow then give me clear blue skies and cold instead of this horrible mucky grey stuff 🤬. Please weather gods give me snow 🙏🙏

Snowing in Ide Hill 

• Like 2

6/10 here and wasn't expecting anything today. 1c though so that needs to drop to settle on the melted snow.

13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Could well turn to snow, especially as the whole mass starts to clear away. I'm just not convinced anything is going yo settle however, I still need almost 1c drop from where I am (1.5) to stand a good chance of settling snow and with the ground so wet it's going to need a real heavy burst, not sure it's going to be quite active enough for that.

Yes, temperature is on the way down but I think that unless there is some very heavy PPN, settling looks unlikely. 

Quite a wet day in terms of liquid PPN; @kold weather, which site did you get the info from?

8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Amazing I can't be that far from you but it's been fairly poor here! Even now you've got settling snow and I have this wintry mix that is just getting the floor! I must be pretty close to the boundary if where that colder air is.

Looks like it has a chance of turning from sleet to snow for you later this afternoon as temperatures drop. The precipitation is definitely buildin south-east from where I am. Fingers crossed.

Heavy sploge of precipitation inbound. Rain, sleet or snow..?

4 minutes ago, coram said:

Looks like it has a chance of turning from sleet to snow for you later this afternoon as temperatures drop. The precipitation is definitely buildin south-east from where I am. Fingers crossed.

Yeah pretty much pure snow now here. Still too marginal to settle but you've got to gave snow to see it settle, which was the problem for me last night!

@WhiteFox, we may get some backedge to settle given time of day and the fact that the back edge should have even colder air tucking in behind it. Probably nor much, but better than nothing I spoke. Also this isn't moving too fast, could have 2-3hrs of this.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Turning to snow in lots of places! 

What a suprise! Good luck everyone for a top up and some of those who missed out last night 👍 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Yes, temperature is on the way down but I think that unless there is some very heavy PPN, settling looks unlikely. 

Quite a wet day in terms of liquid PPN; @kold weather, which site did you get the info from?

If you look at latest MO radar you can see there is a collision of air masses going on overhead Guilford. North easterly uppers, and lower level SEasterly AND the whole precip mass which is drifting in the opposite direction towards the ESE.. In this scenario clouds pile up and precipitaion intensifies.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Turning to snow in lots of places! 

What a suprise! Good luck everyone for a top up and some of those who missed out last night 👍 

Do you have snow near Thorpe Park ?

12 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

All melted here in Brighton pretty much! Was good while it lasted 

Yep but just noticed snow symbols on a weather app. Which is why I’m here to investigate what’s going on?!

still no wiser so I’ll cone out with it... is it going to snow today in Brighton??!

Don't look up to your NE, for anything colder, peeps: it's up to 4.7, Norwich.

1 minute ago, Alpine glow said:

Yep but just noticed snow symbols on a weather app. Which is why I’m here to investigate what’s going on?!

still no wiser so I’ll cone out with it... is it going to snow today in Brighton??!

Looks like the band that's over me right now is heading your way and it's certainly snow at the moment!

• Like 1

Temperature has dropped another 0.3c in 10 minutes, as has dew points. Getting close to the levels needed for settling snow and sunset may well tip that over the edge.

• Like 1

0.9 here in RG7 and still moderate graupel. I think you need the heavier PPN to get the tipping point for snow. Still under a darker green echo here.

Just now, WhiteFox said:

0.9 here in RG7 and still moderate graupel. I think you need the heavier PPN to get the tipping point for snow. Still under a darker green echo here.

Interesting I'm exactly the same temperature but got snow, even in the lighter intensity at the moment. How strange is that!