Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

8 minutes ago, danm said:

Is that band coming up through London snow/rain/sleet?

Seems to be snow to the West and Sleet to the East, cut off seems to be just east of Brixton 

Snowing here in West London

Edited by Uxbridge90

On 27/01/2019 at 17:32, Badgers01 said:

Assuming it all falls as snow and all sticks - do people not feel it will at the very least start as rain and take a while to settle ..?

11 minutes ago, rubble79 said:

Reminds me very much of the 90’s (after 91’s great spell) where there was always so much promise but constantly failed to really deliver in my area. Just having the media and TV forecasts to rely on made it so much more frustrating - I used to sit on teletext waiting for the pixilated weather map to update 😂

As others have said, we should probably change our thoughts of March as it has proven that in the right set up, it can deliver decent cold and snow. I also think that at some point the models will flip to our favour and surprise us by showing milder to sudden cold. One day 🤪

Am I the only one who never looks at the radar during snow? It’s like looking at spoilers, I’m much happier to look out the window and see what turns up than get frustrated seeing heavy snow missing me 

(rain again here)

Reminds me a lot of 1993/4. We had quite a few snow events here in Reading but very little settled. Better luck this time though!

The narrow band near Reading is graupel/light snow. Now 1.1 dp 0 occasional light frozen PPN

Picture of the dog saying hello to the snowman just before he took his nose!

IMG_20190201_103508.thumb.jpg.a3f9fd99eb226c815356aba7d3813bde.jpg

IMG_20190201_103508.thumb.jpg.a3f9fd99eb226c815356aba7d3813bde.jpg

Measured about 8cm in part of the garden that is less sheltered. Definitely some compaction going on due to slight thaw so reckon we may have had about 19cm all told.

IMG_20190201_101955.thumb.jpg.753cc0de45a88fe0b3f0b0a89c7e8f8a.jpg

IMG_20190201_103510.jpg

8 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

My apologies and i am very happy for you that you got snow.I should have been a bit more specific as i did see Brighton area got a good dollop of snow last night.I just wish that this part of England was more mountainous with everywhere being at least 300m asl and then we wouldnt have these problems with margainality lol!!

No problem, just as an aside to the snowfall, the talk of a 'warm zone' last night in Kent and the Sussexes.

I drove back from London between 9pm and midnight ( two hours to travel a 15 min journey around Brighton)

The temperature was +1c the whole time until I reached the Sussex coast and then -1c.

5 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

Looks to be pepping up and dragging everything in as well

@Surrey What you make of it Surrey? 

Edited by Uxbridge90

6 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

And again, they can't even get it right on the DAY!

Area of Snow... It's RAIN!

12 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Yes🤣

You are right. It's a mixture of everything but mosty rain.

5 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

No problem, just as an aside to the snowfall, the talk of a 'warm zone' last night in Kent and the Sussexes.

I drove back from London between 9pm and midnight ( two hours to travel a 15 min journey around Brighton)

The temperature was +1c the whole time until I reached the Sussex coast and then -1c.

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as itdeveloped. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference by keeping temperatures up. My temperature held at 0.6c until the cap dry slot finally broke down, then temps dropped quickly.

The coasts had heavy snow in place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

Combined with subsidence  from The front to the north killing precipitation as it came ashore and that is a lethal combination.

Edited by kold weather

Sitting in Wladerslade, Chatham right now waiting for a pupil to start their driving lesson. A mix of 90% rain and 10%snow is building in intensity. What snow is here is melting before my eyes. Such a shame. 

97E0FCD6-5B30-4648-8316-BF7C60556AC3.jpeg

It's thawing here, but there is still light snow falling.

10 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

It’s def rain. I’m standing under it getting wet 

Edited by CanadianCoops

5 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

And again, they can't even get it right on the DAY!

Area of Snow... It's RAIN!

Oh dear Peter!

Look out your window mate. That's if you are on the London area.

Its rain mate!! 

Screenshot_20190201-110033.png

Edited by Wimbledon88

5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as it developed. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference.

The coasts had heavy snow on place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

Combined with subsidence  from The front to the north killing precipitation as it came ashore and that is a lethal combination.

Quite possible,it seems areas to the East of Eastbourne had trouble keeping settling snow, as did areas North of Gatwick,further West along the coast and inland there were no such problems. 

Pure cold icy rain here in Croydon, the damp makes it feel even colder though, thoroughly unpleasant to be outside 

Yep, light rain started in Addlestone, thoroughly miserable morning 

4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as it developed. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference.

The coasts had heavy snow on place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

It was wet snow here till the front lifted far enough to let the SSW draw effect us. Then it turned to rain. Se was on the wrong side of the low, pretty simple really. If it stayed as a wave, would have been much better.

I suspect any precipitation talking to the east of that front is going to be sleety stuff at best. Once the front does move east, providing there is something left, will probably go back to snow.

I'm doubtful however it settles, I think we have lost the surface cold required for it now. Could still cause a few rush hour issues though.

25 minutes ago, danm said:

Is that band coming up through London snow/rain/sleet?

Here it was rain/sleet

Just now, kold weather said:

I suspect any precipitation talking to the east of that front is going to be sleety stuff at best. Once the front does move east, providing there is something left, will probably go back to snow.

I'm doubtful however it settles, I think we have lost the surface cold required for it now. Could still cause a few rush hour issues though.

Don't think it will settle. We're under an intermittent light band and it's not settling where I've cleared snow from the car.

13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as itdeveloped. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference by keeping temperatures up. My temperature held at 0.6c until the cap dry slot finally broke down, then temps dropped quickly.

The coasts had heavy snow in place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

Chicken and egg? If the circulation doesn’t head towards the south coast then the snow stays lighter and further south .... the low has spoiled a lot of the snow in south coastal counties but extended the cover much further north dragging far larger areas into the mix ...... today seems a mess to say the least !

each model has a different solution ! Para is nuts over E Sussex and w Kent later 

Edited by bluearmy

8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Pure cold icy rain here in Croydon, the damp makes it feel even colder though, thoroughly unpleasant to be outside 

It feels like it’s the coldest it could be without snowing. Quite depressing 

You never know as the back edge cold digs back in....

LOL GFS crazy snow charts suggesting this!

12-574UK.thumb.gif.ff184d27cc7168c758dd50064194ac8c.gif

15-574UK.thumb.gif.7172a9d82b16709471297ccb22e649ed.gif

18-574UK.thumb.gif.cd2b98b8b6de3eb72cbaa5b5611f00c8.gif

21-574UK.thumb.gif.4f053b020b3027e2bf28c0216d70b2b3.gif