SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best of luck to the SE gang tonight ?

Evening All, I hope other Members have no objection but just wanted to post up a Wintry Slideshow, for our Kentish Members. But I hope all Members will enjoy these very Wintry photos, from around

Best of luck yo you guys and girls in the South. Don't give up hope if it starts as rain. It rained here for about 2 hours now it's heavy snow. You should be good for a few cms also as it's very heavy

Posted Images

Wouldn't take a huge shift to make this an all snow event for our region, rather than a rain > snow event. 

Given the continued uncertainty with exact tracking/intensity I certainly wouldn't rule that out just yet. Fairly confident many will see snow however, it's unlikely they'll be a shift big enough to take the entire thing too far Southwards. So happy I have Tuesday off work and don't start work until Wednesday afternoon. BRING ON THE SNOW!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Only really 1-3cms for the majority reading the text of the warning. 5cms for some and 10cm possible over high ground. Was kind of hoping for more.

I do too but it’s a start and a met warning before February - I’ll take that. Finally we’ve got things to talk about and chance of a covering of snow. Here on out it gets interesting 

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1

Chance of snow in south. But not a certainty. A heads up, but look at the Met Office warning matrix, still in Unlikely category. A message to keep up with the forecast and try to ignore the hype. 

However, if it does come off, it could be heavy oooooh

2701mowarntues.jpg

2701mosnow.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
14 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Only really 1-3cms for the majority reading the text of the warning. 5cms for some and 10cm possible over high ground. Was kind of hoping for more.

I suspect the Met Office was fairly conservative due to the timing issues we have already discussed, so this warning is kind of a steady middle ground between the options that are on the table. I'd say personally 5-10cms is more likely in our area IF the system arrives at the sort of time expected. A few hours earlier and you could easily cut that in half, maybe more. A little later, and you could up that to 10-15cms IMO.

Still time for things to go wrong it should be said!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

For them to issure warning more than 48 hours out does suggest some confidence to me otherwise why not wait until tomorrow. But actual track, intensity will mean that warning area will change I am sure.

I'm sitting on the fence. last time radars, maps, whatevers said i had snow. And I got freezing rain. 

However, hubs has slow cooked silver side of beef on and we have made sure there is plenty of hot chocolate available. Bub is on the edge of a chest infection, so no swim school today, hoping it will get better if it dos snow because she will be gutted if she cant go and play. 

17 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Thoughts on Thursday? seems promising from some comments in MOD thread.

The GFS suite this morning has shifted a fair way north (Op/OPara AND ensembles)  however a long way to go yet, and the ECM/ICON/UKMO seem to be leading the way at the moment, so I'd give them more weight.

I suspect though we aren't going to know till Tuesday, by which time I think we will be looking at a snow event anyway.

Edited by kold weather
4 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Trains Will Come To a Standstill In London On Tues/Wed ?❄️

image.thumb.png.1ede66b4f577978b1d339e7450e8f840.png

lol roads also us down here don't how to deal with the  stuff  ps  plus gatwick heath row etc

GFS para very good for down here both Tuesday and Thursday... That's the important thing. Beyond that, Well the MO is saying that colder air is going to follow in behind on Friday, and I'm going with them. Despite all the negative nancy's on the thread saying winter is over 

Edited by shuggee
  • Like 1

just been reading  the north east forum  they getting  bits  of snow there  and looking at the radar  with the gales due soon in our area  could easily get sleet/snow showers   later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

will all due respect - speak for yourself, im rather competent

Same as. 10 years driving in canadian snow does help but I can understand those that don’t drive much. My missus would be a danger to others in the snow (more so than when it doesn’t snow lol) 

• Haha 2