Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yes its been an exceptionally 'kind' winter so far, with no storms, no really heavy rain, no snow, no very cold temperatures - indeed its been exceptionally calm overall thanks to this high pressure ruling the roost..

In mild winters you normally get the heavy rain and storms as well - but nothing so far.

Its all making for very easy going - no weather headlines to talk about - no-one can blame the weather for anything. Alas I'm now eager for something to kick start the winter - getting a bit impatient. Next week promises a change with finally perhaps some wintry weather to talk about.

We've had winters before with an absence of winter weather in the main, but usually cancelled out by distructive stormy wet weather, 13/14 and 15/16 being very good examples.

Winter 88/89 was exceptionally mild, I think many places didn't record there first air frost until third week of January... At least we've had a few air frosts so far, and come quite cold days at times, so it has felt wintry on occasion. 

Just waiting for the switch to flip - and winter 18/19 to finally get going..

• Like 1

I'd agree other than the first 23 days of December - a constant durge of rain or showers with only brief respite. If anything, this recent dry spell has just balanced out the first couple of weeks of winter. 

We're at the stage in winter now where the Atlantic should be waning so any cold potential should also increase. Fingers crossed for next week onwards.

Yes I had 124.4mm here up until 23rd December. Very dry since then with just 1.2mm over the last few weeks. Also only 3 air frosts so far this winter. 

The last time I recorded an air frost was the morning of Nov 2nd. Woeful but hopefully the second half of the this winter will make up for it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sundog said:

The last time I recorded an air frost was the morning of Nov 2nd. Woeful but hopefully the second half of the this winter will make up for it. 

Last time i did not record an air frost was the first week in September.

• Like 1

It's been snowing here every day since I came back on Tuesday, though there have been thaws (without which I'd probably be buried by now - I can well imagine there being metres of snow in the Alps). Maximum depth has been 20-25cm; now it's more like 15cm in undisturbed areas with more coming down.

I'm going to head up to the nearby hills (about 500m) tomorrow to see what it's like. I've been up there before when there's been half a metre lying with virtually nothing lower down.

Edited by AderynCoch

7 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

It's been snowing here every day since I came back on Tuesday, though there have been thaws (without which I'd probably be buried by now - I can well imagine there being metres of snow in the Alps). Maximum depth has been 20-25cm; now it's more like 15cm in undisturbed areas with more coming down.

I'm going to head up to the nearby hills (about 500m) tomorrow to see what it's like. I've been up there before when there's been half a metre lying with virtually nothing lower down.

I'm heading Bratislava direction today.Western side of SK got so much more dumping than us in eastern half,only about 6cm here near Kosice. but its been cold crispy so far  here which is great.no sign of Euro high which is great

I don't have the stats, but I suspect they will back up the fact that the second half of winter on average is colder than the first half, and much more likely to deliver more frost - namely because it tends to be a calmer period, with less in the way of atlantic weather. 

'as the days lengthen the cold strengthens'..

December it seems is fast becoming more of an autumnal month, and March more of a winter month..

17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

December it seems is fast becoming more of an autumnal month, and March more of a winter month..

Certainly seems so, though we were spolied with some nice wintry Decembers in the 1990s and 2000s culminating in the rather epic 2010 - so perhaps the disappointing early winters since then are just nature balancing things back out again.

Although I enjoy snow at any time, there's something quite magical about wintry weather in the run up to & over Xmas - even if it's just a hard frost followed by a crisp sunny day.

Just checked this winter won`t be as dry as 2005-06  only halfway through yet and nearly as wet from all that rain first half of December.

On 13/10/2018 at 12:50, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

December - colder than average.  I won’t put too much meat on bones yet but after a wintry first half I suspect blocking to be in place approaching Xmas and then an Atlantic trying to push in against a cold block that won’t give way (period of note possible). I say it won’t give way as I anticipate January to continue with the colder than average winter.

January - colder than average - 1st 10 days earmarked for potential coldest temps of winter with cold block established over (if anticipated) snowfields are widespread.  I think mid and backend of January to be potentially very snowy with LPs attempting to take over the ‘general’ pattern as I think the blocking will be at it’s most vulnerable as we enter February

February - Average overall but wet.  I think the rhythm eases somewhat and we could see winter wane.  There is a possibility that jetstream holds on southerly track and wintry conditions elongate but Atlantic vulnerability I’ll call it.  

A winter to match a 20th century great over next 3 winters?...means I am saying it could be this one.  For sure imo we have entered a period going forward where we could be in the game for some serious synoptic patterns.  Serious cold and long is still very achievable and imo going to become ever more achievable.

As always, with blocking if in wrong place then is a blow out......and Greece etc are locked into an ice age and we are distinctly average, bland even a touch mild....but better to have prevalent northern blocking to put us in the game for cold.

I’ll add more with what I identify as ‘periods of potential most impact’ in Nov..... 

BFTP

That part in bold seems to be worth highlighting lots of snow for Greece of late and bucket loads in Austria

16 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

That part in bold seems to be worth highlighting lots of snow for Greece of late and bucket loads in Austria

Wish my LRF was the bold part as it has been spot on!!  Placed there as a fear of what could happen, sadly it has

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Sadly the rest of it and particularly the 'earmarked' parts have been completely the opposite...at least you gave it a go. 🙂

Half way through the winter now and the winter index says it all:

2009/10: 174.5
2010/11: 129.4
1995/96: 128.1
2012/13: 103.1
1990/91: 92.5
1993/94: 77.4
2000/01: 74.2
2008/09: 64.8
2003/04: 63.9
2017/18: 62.2
1996/97: 60.0
2005/06: 55.1
1998/99: 52.6
2002/03: 52.0
1992/93: 48.7
2011/12: 48.3
2001/02: 48.1
1991/92: 44.5
2014/15: 43.7
2004/05: 42.8
1994/95: 38.1
1999/00: 36.5
1987/88: 35.1
2016/17: 26.1
2007/08: 25.7
2015/16: 24.4
1997/98: 20.3
2006/07: 19.7
2013/14: 8.0
1989/90: 8.0
2018/19: 7.0 (to 14th Jan)
1988/89: 6.6

It's going to take quite something in the last 45 days to turn this winter around.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sadly the rest of it and particularly the 'earmarked' parts have been completely the opposite...at least you gave it a go. 🙂

Yep very true, all too east due to wrong blocking as feared....but backend of Jan and Feb could rescue winter......heads down

BFTP

14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Dont post this in the Mad thread Gav or there'll be much throwing of toys out of prams!😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Dear oh dear, it's all going belly up........ 😥

EDIT:  That does somewhat contradict what what the model looked like the other day as discussed in the tweets thread!

Edited by Don