Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
itsnowjoke

North West Regional thread 01/09/18 Onwards......

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

If thats right then euro4 must be on the sauce..

A general guidance was issued at 10 this morning mentioning 1-3 cm above 200m ..

Met Office warnings always seem to underplay these events until the very last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deep Snow please said:

Met Office warnings always seem to underplay these events until the very last minute.

Do we really need to be warned about 1-3 cm of snow.

I think not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

Is it really that bad in Preston? You must have had a couple of cms a few times last winter?

 

Last winter and the winter before I had quite a few days with a couple of cms, and I'm not that much further inland than you (8 miles as the crow flies)? 

To answer your question .... yes, yes it is.

Last winter we missed 99% of all the ppn from the east, the stalling fronts coming up from the south all get as far as chorley/leyland stop and fizzle. I remember going out for a drink with a few friends last yr in Euxton there were piles of snow at the sides of the roads ... thats only 10 miles at most south of here. 

There are several sat photos that show the apparent shadow effect we are under for snow here .... NW/W for the ppn but it has to be cold enough, on the rare occasions it is we can get a bit of a covering here ... but more often than not its a wintry mix at best. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preston is the worst. 

I'm in Chorley which is bad enough but just up the A6 and i'm at 80m asl which often makes the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Do we really need to be warned about 1-3 cm of snow.

I think not. 

Probably not. But the Met Office would warn us if they though there was going to be a mm. As snow is just so dangerous don't you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.310629c77554989de5c48a73f1d95498.png

Snow Day !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Somebody in the Midlands thread just asked what is all the excitement about an event that might deliver a couple of cms.    A COUPLE OF CMS IS A ONCE IN A GENERATION EVENT HERE ON THE WEST COAST.

....thats a danger to life in Salwick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see no warnings except an ice warning that only goes out to midday tuesday 

Edited by frosty ground

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

I see no warnings except an ice warning that only goes out to midday tuesday 

It was there earlier but been updated and removed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HRT said:

It was there earlier but been updated and removed now.

What did it say? Can you remember?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jam2010 said:

I think we may do ok with snow tommorow, i am worried about it settling as it will start to fall during day time and with the wet ground, ive seen it before when the PPN is heavy enough and over a period of time can settle so ive got my fingers crossed for this. 

29th January 2015. If I remember it was pretty windy and the showers weren't that wintry before the 29th  and questions were being asked if it was another bust? Why isn't it snowing when conditions seemed adequate? What was interesting was the morning of the 29th, the wind had dropped and by 8am, it was snowing at sea level and sticking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

What did it say? Can you remember?

Pretty sure the warning for snow covered our region for Wednesday. Ice warnings for Scotland and Northern Ireland. It was weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can only find warnings for ice on Met office 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were no warnings for Tuesday before the ice warning, not that I saw anyway. The fact that no further warnings have been issued beyond midday period indicates the metoffice do not expect anything significant/disruptive in the afternoon period? Ties in with Euro 4 which reduces precipitation signal during afternoon period, after trough has moved through. Will have to see if this is repeated on the next model update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris78 said:

Somebody in the Midlands thread just asked what is all the excitement about an event that might deliver a couple of cms.    A COUPLE OF CMS IS A ONCE IN A GENERATION EVENT HERE ON THE WEST COAST.

I would honestly be buzzing with a couple of cm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spah1 said:

Preston, Cornwall and Liverpool.

 

Worst places in the Country for Snow. 

Were i live is definately worse than Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

29th January 2015. If I remember it was pretty windy and the showers weren't that wintry before the 29th  and questions were being asked if it was another bust? Why isn't it snowing when conditions seemed adequate? What was interesting was the morning of the 29th, the wind had dropped and by 8am, it was snowing at sea level and sticking.

 

exactly this is what i hope will happen, i just read the latest forcast and it's not looking good for low levels but as your vudeo shows anything can happen and it will be down to now casting! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 METO text updated an hour ago is VERY uninspiring ..

Snow reserved to the hills, wintry showers elsewhere basically..

Not paying any attention to euro 4 then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

 METO text updated an hour ago is VERY uninspiring ..

Snow reserved to the hills, wintry showers elsewhere basically..

Not paying any attention to euro 4 then.

Clearly nothing unusual expected will see some snow falling at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

 METO text updated an hour ago is VERY uninspiring ..

Snow reserved to the hills, wintry showers elsewhere basically..

Not paying any attention to euro 4 then.

Really?  what is it with your region.  For mine it says snow to low levels.  Must be that dreaded Irish Sea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dexter said:

There were no warnings for Tuesday before the ice warning, not that I saw anyway. The fact that no further warnings have been issued beyond midday period indicates the metoffice do not expect anything significant/disruptive in the afternoon period? Ties in with Euro 4 which reduces precipitation signal during afternoon period, after trough has moved through. Will have to see if this is repeated on the next model update.

The warning is hidden within the Ice warning.

If you click on regional then click on Tuesdays warning it's under more info...

Hope you all get some snaw

Screenshot_20190121-154137_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weirpig said:

Really?  what is it with your region.  For mine it says snow to low levels.  Must be that dreaded Irish Sea. 

I have no idea , i can only assume its the sea , again..

No mention of snow to low levels in this region.. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

 METO text updated an hour ago is VERY uninspiring ..

Snow reserved to the hills, wintry showers elsewhere basically..

Not paying any attention to euro 4 then.

What text update?

This regional forecast update 

Regional Forecast for North West England

Headline:

Snow showers and ice tonight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Weather-history said:

What text update?

This regional forecast update 

Regional Forecast for North West England

Headline:

Snow showers and ice tonight.

 

Yup, thats the headline, then below it goes into more detail, doesn't sound like what euro 4 is showing to me, the high res model has laying snow to the coast..

As i said, i suspect the model is overdoing the snow signal..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...