Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Could see some high rainfall totals tomorrow into Saturday in our neck of the woods. 

Edit: MO have now put a warning out ⚠️ up to 50mm in places. 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Everyone seems to be searching for cold X number of days ahead. Typical Net Weather symptoms of missing what’s happening now!

It’s the 3rd day of this cold spell, it snowed yesterday, we have a sharp frost and icy surfaces this morning.

To be fair, it hasn't been much of a cold spell here. Overcast & wet. Chilly during the day, granted. But, I haven't gotten below zero. The end of October, start of November got below -1 on three occasions.

Posted
9 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Could see some high rainfall totals tomorrow into Saturday in our neck of the woods. 

Edit: MO have now put a warning out ⚠️ up to 50mm in places. 

Did they post their warning after reading your update?:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
16 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Did they post their warning after reading your update?

Paha no! That’s how I found out about it! Had no idea we had rain coming, been too wrapped up in this non existent cold spell ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Paha no! That’s how I found out about it! Had no idea we had rain coming, been too wrapped up in this non existent cold spell ...

Yes plenty of rain for all when it’s not cold enough for snow anywhere anymore. It does mention potential thundery weather though so maybe something interesting. 

• Like 2

Posted

May have been a non event for the rest of you but got to -4.8 here last night!!! And I have no heating. So an event to remember round here. Hopefully in 24 hours time we will be fired up ... 

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I definitely recall the pretty frosty patterns on the inside of windows, Jethro.  My car was similarly decorated this morning.

Yesterday's rainfall total, all from pm showers, was 11.6mm.

IMG_7911 (800x600).jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
8 hours ago, jethro said:

Frosty car roof this morning. Anyone else old enough to remember getting these patterns on the inside of your bedroom window, back in the days before central heating & double glazing?

46507353_10156129245283175_4634636167583629312_n.jpg

We've only got double glazing in the living room and one of the spare bedrooms so that's still something that happens to our windows

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
5 hours ago, Nights King said:

I still get this on my windows.. Single glazing is harsh. Not quite cold enough last night but did drop to minus 4c. 

There's a part of that misses those frosty ferns, but I'm also very fond of being warm too.

Posted
3 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

We've only got double glazing in the living room and one of the spare bedrooms so that's still something that happens to our windows

I'm very grateful for my warm house, last house I had, although warmish it was still bleeding freezing in winter. It was a listed cottage with mullion windows so double glazing wasn't an option, it did have shutters but the windows were so drafty they used to rattle in the wind. Mind you, still nowhere near as cold as the house I grew up in. No double glazing, no central heating, no insulation, one coal fire in the entire house and a mum who insisted on leaving the loft hatch ajar in the winter to stop the pipes freezing. Little wonder we had icy ferns on the inside of our windows  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Seems I haven’t lived thinking 16°C in the house during the day with no heating on until the evening is cold. Sounds like luxury in comparison. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Seems I haven’t lived thinking 16°C in the house during the day with no heating on until the evening is cold. Sounds like luxury in comparison. 

Luxury was flannelette sheets and a hot water bottle when I was a kid

• Like 2

Posted

I’ve heard stories from parents and grandparents of ice inside the house but never seen it myself. My grandparents house used to have fireplaces in all the bedrooms in the house they lived in but by the time I was born they’d blocked them up and installed radiators. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

I’ve heard stories from parents and grandparents of ice inside the house but never seen it myself. My grandparents house used to have fireplaces in all the bedrooms in the house they lived in but by the time I was born they’d blocked them up and installed radiators. 

Oh Matt, you have never lived then... my parents bungalow had a single fire in the kitchen and single metal framed glass windows. The winter of '63 the ice patterns were top to bottom, in fact at the bottom, the ice was about 1/4" thick. I do so often remember getting up in the morning and scraping a hole in the fern patterns to check outside to see if it had snowed. The biggest highlight was getting central heating, oh wow that was amazing, then later came the double glazing.. Sorry, my mind is wandering. To keep on the right side of the law, currently it's Temp: 3.8 °C....Dew Point: 2.3 °C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Precip models show a fine line between small and large rainfall totals.

18112412_2212.thumb.gif.437496c67371cd577fd82e03dd12b0a3.gif viewimage.thumb.png.0baca48afb33fea046cafbe6453722c0.png

I'm barely in the Met Office warning zone, so i'm not expecting a lot here.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Precip models show a fine line between small and large rainfall totals.

18112412_2212.thumb.gif.437496c67371cd577fd82e03dd12b0a3.gif viewimage.thumb.png.0baca48afb33fea046cafbe6453722c0.png

I'm barely in the Met Office warning zone, so i'm not expecting a lot here.

Well you're closer to the zone than either Matt or myself...

Posted
38 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Well you're closer to the zone than either Matt or myself...

Well if you take those charts literally I should expect nothing at all. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

Our house ( in the process of being renovated) is a bungalow with fireplaces in the bedroom.We unblocked them years ago, but we've only used one of them! 

Posted
2 hours ago, matt111 said:

One house I had, winter of 1983/84 or 84/85 (can't remember which) the water froze solid in the loo and cracked it wide open. That was in Northamptonshire, blinking cold house, blinking cold winter.

Hope those precipitation charts are accurate for tomorrow, really don't want any rain, too much to do.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, jethro said:

One house I had, winter of 1983/84 or 84/85 (can't remember which) the water froze solid in the loo and cracked it wide open. That was in Northamptonshire, blinking cold house, blinking cold winter.

Hope those precipitation charts are accurate for tomorrow, really don't want any rain, too much to do.

The water froze in ours in 2010

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, jethro said:

When we were living up in Scotland, we had frost on the inside walls, and had to use a hammer to get water from the burn...-18C at midday, Xmas 1995!:cold:

Posted

Hope you don't mind me joining in on the 'cold houses of yore' discussion, but growing up on a 'Wimpey Estate' as it was called (built by Wimpey in the early 1960s) in the 70s and 80s in Radstock/Midsomer Norton, we too had only the one fireplace in the lounge and little heating elsewhere. I remember most likely 1985ish studying for my A levels in an enormous thick hooded woollen zip-up jacket my gran had knitted me with literally snow on the inside of my bedroom window. The windows were so draughty my father had put thick clear plastic all over the inside, but when it snowed it simply piled up on the inside of the frames. I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on....

And to stay on topic, temperatures ranged from 7 degrees to 3 degrees driving from Uxbridge to Surbiton this evening with intermittent fog around the M25 and A3. Hope it stays reasonably rain-free over Salisbury Plain through to Midsomer Norton on Saturday to visit my mother.

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Met doesn’t even have any rain for me tomorrow apart from light rain in early morning 

Posted
50 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

When we were living up in Scotland, we had frost on the inside walls, and had to use a hammer to get water from the burn...-18C at midday, Xmas 1995!

Omg! That's cooolllllld!!! Makes my -17 4 pathetic!