Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

It's festering nuts here in Harefield

Edited by Homerr

Convection cropping up in Essex now, think tonight’s going to be a special one

I meant festering. Stupid autocorrect. It's just gone a little quiet. AHH I see what's happening there it's going maaaaaad

Edited by Homerr

total bust here....storms firing firing along outflow boundaries hence the training effect....individual cells are not lasting long, but the training effect is giving the illusion of long lasting and organised storms when they aren't IMHO

Hmmm. Lovely to see so many folks getting a good show - I'd give mine a 6/10. Can see so much activity North, East and South but tonight no great show for me. I'll be radar watching for a wee while longer but then gonna call it a night. Enjoy the show peeps!

Seeing lots of distant but vivid lightning to the north east of me. Way off in the distance. I'll continue watching for a bit but looks like Basingstoke will miss out on a direct hit tonight, but still hoping for something tomorrow. 

That London/Kent storm is definitely shifting more north to me. I'd like someone else's opinion on this. 

1 minute ago, Swansonson69 said:

That London/Kent storm is definitely shifting more north to me. I'd like someone else's opinion on this. 

Thunder is becoming more frequent here so I think you’re right

Storm is giving a lovely show now. Got this through my window.

54251D91-CE7F-4271-AD2D-3716AC015CE9.png

Rapid convection North of London, rather insane viewing on the radar 

i know That Birmingham is going to be hit with the biggest Thunderstorm in years.

Just now, ilsewin said:

Storm is giving a lovely show now. Got this through my window.

54251D91-CE7F-4271-AD2D-3716AC015CE9.png

What are you up thinking will hit Suffolk area. Ipswich. 

There seem to be more discrete cells now as opposed to the larger ones earlier.

3 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Seeing lots of distant but vivid lightning to the north east of me. Way off in the distance. I'll continue watching for a bit but looks like Basingstoke will miss out on a direct hit tonight, but still hoping for something tomorrow. 

Is it likely in Basingstoke area tomorrow? I look at the CAPE LI charts and it seems to show a pretty permanent state of possibility over the next few days but I am not sure what else to look out for to get a better idea of the likelihood (albeit taking into consideration the notoriously difficult to predict element 🙂 )

Well, that was fun for about the last hour! Quite a show for South East London and even now it’s just rolling away into the North East distance with rolling thunder and the odd flash of lightening. 

5 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Thunder is becoming more frequent here so I think you’re right

In that case, I'll continue watching the radar and outside since that puts me straight in the path. 

Cell over Stratford upon Avon just become electrified 

Just had those cells explode over my head in North London. Insane amounts of rain. We've had 14mm in less than 10 minutes! Can hear several alarms going off from nearby buildings.

Got to go to sleep now, even though it’s still continuously flashing outside. And guess what...might get the same again tomorrow. Keep pinching myself really. Night all, enjoy!!

Just taken a look at sat24 and all i can say is wow!!!!those huge cumulonimbus cloud build all the way into the midlands!!could be in for a good show in a few hours!!

The third strong cell in SE London had much more in the way of fork lightning.

Cloud to cloud stuff but frequent and stunning.

Much louder thunder too.A few real shotguns.

Got to wonder whether parts of the SE could be at the risk of serious flooding as the blue echoes on the rainfall radar keep persisting and look to be moving in a conveyer belt across the London area... very impressive night for storms though.